Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filters

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Oil Filters

well today was fun at work. my boss decided to finally let me cut open the vast majority of the oil filters that we stock. i didn't get any pics...but if anyone wanted pics i could probably get some tomorrow evening. i'll give a little description. the filters that i cut open are listed below with an average price.

STP - $3.50
    Motorcraft - $3.70
    Fram - $4.00
    AC Delco - $4.20
    Bosch - $6.50
    Mobil 1 - $13.00
    K&N - $14.00

we also have Fram Toughguards but we decided not to cut up any of those since we don't stock many of them.

STP and Mobil 1 are both made by Champion Laboratories. we also believe, after examining the filters, that the Delco is also made by Champion Labs. all three have the same construction elements. the filter media appears to be the same (although surely there are micron particulate size differences) on the STP and the Delco which is glued onto a felt pad and has an internal plastic cage for support. the Mobil 1 uses a metal internal cage and is sealed at the bottom end of the filter. metal is used instead of felt and the metal extends out and comes up the sides of the filter media for further support. the rubber valve on the Mobil 1 is also softer and snaps onto the filter media housing rather than loosely sitting over the top of it.

the Fram uses what appears to be a cardboard (cellulose) filter media liberally glued to a cardboard type backing. it uses a metal internal cage for support but the rubber valve sits loosely on the top of the cage.

the K&N filter has a nice rubber valve that snaps snugly over the metal cage which is sealed at the bottom end (and on this particular filter had a bypass spring valve assembly in the cage). the metal cage extends out in the same manner as the Mobil 1 and forms the top and base of the filter cage and extends a small way up the side of the media for support.

the Bosch filter uses a metal internal cage which extends out and forms the top and the base of the media housing and extends partially up the sides for support. the section of the filter media that is joined together on all the other filters by way of the same glue used to hold the media onto the top and bottom of the cage is not used here...rather a metal plate with small rivets is used to secure the filter media together at the joint pleat. the rubber valve snaps snugly over the metal cage and the bottom end of the cage is also sealed.

the surprise for us was the Motorcraft. it is designed and manufactured in virtually the same manner as the premium filters (Bosch, Mobil 1, K&N). a sealed bottom metal internal cage with metal base support and side supports and a snug fitting rubber valve.

i personally have been using Bosch filters and after today will continue to do so since they are the best constructed and are the best price for the product. i don't have any cross reference information on the motorcraft filters that would show if it would fit on any of my gm cars so i am out of luck there as far as getting a top quality constructed filter at a value price.

again...i can try to get some pics if anyone wants them...but for the money the Bosch and Motorcraft filters are the clear winners as far as premium grade construction/materials for the price.

black
    02 vette vert

curious how napa gold and wix would've fit into your experiment.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Pictures would be sweet.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Yeah... Pics would really be great!

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    not sure we don't carry either brand.

i'll see about getting some pics tomorrow evening if we're good and slow.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

STP filter. internal plastic support cage with felt-like backing with filter media glued to it. rubber valve fits loosely into the shown opening.

AC Delco filter. internal plastic support cage with felt-like backing with filter media glued to it. rubber valve fits loosely into the shown opening.

Fram filter. metal internal support cage with paper-material backing with filter media glued to it. note the metal tab where the two end pleats are connected together. rubber valve fits loosely into shown opening.

Motorcraft filter. metal internal cage, metal end caps which extend partially up the side for support of filter media. rubber valve "snaps" onto the shown end.

opposite end of Motorcraft filter shown. sealed end.

Bosch filter. metal internal cage, metal base extends up the sides for support. rubber valve "snaps" onto shown end. notice the metal "clip" that connects the two end pleats together.

opposite end of Bosch filter shown. sealed end.

Mobil 1 filter. metal internal cage, metal end caps extend up the sides for support. notice the colored glue that holds to the end pleats together. rubber valve "snaps" onto shown end.

opposite end of Mobil 1 filter shown. sealed end.

K&N filter. metal internal cage, metal end caps extend up the sides for support. notice the colored glue that holds the end pleats together. rubber valve "snaps" onto shown end.

opposite end of K&N filter shown. sealed end although on this particular model filter there is a pressure spring bypass valve.

for the filters where the rubber valve "snaps" onto the filter media cage/end cap, the bosh and the motorcraft filters fit most snug meaning that when i put them on, picked them up, and tipped them over they did not fall off. the mobil 1 and k&n filters, when the rubber valve was put on, picked up and turned over the valve fell off.

so by my simple side by side the bosch and the motorcraft were the best quality construction for the money. the delco and stp are essentially the same filter except that the delco costs more. although it's hard to see, the fram filter is LIBERALLY glued to it's cardboard backing although it is easy to peel this backing off of the filter media.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Well from those pics I feel good knowing I use Mobile 1 filter with Mobile 1 oil.

That filter looks like it is built pretty good. I do not see the rivets being any real advantage since the outer casing will hold those pieces together.

I can see the argument that they would still be better though.

Thanks for the pics! This is really good info!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

my pleasure. haha...that Mobil 1 filter was REALLY old. all mobil filters are now black...have been for a few years now.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I did not realize that. May be a completly different filter in there or they just painted them a different color.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i'm sure it's the same filter...i HIGHLY doubt that anything changed internally or by the mechanics of it. i think that all that was done was a new package and a new color scheme. it happens all the time actually. in the year i've been working in auto parts i've seen no less than 3 different styles of fram oil filter boxes, 2 styles of stp air filter boxes, and 2 styles of sylvania headlight boxes, and 3 different versions of the same headlight design by sylvania. but it's all the same product...just a different look.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good information. Here's a link to a similar writeup that covers a couple of additional brands from a few years ago and then was updated last year: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...reference.html
    Last edited by pajeff02; 11-24-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i came across that site the other day as well...good stuff on there

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

I can give a link to another automotive forum. You obviously know they are very good quality for being full flow and not bypass. I use Napa gold on the Supra for that reason. Toyota switched to a Thailand made filter for the States, from the old US made filter.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

Black
    '99 SS

Great Info! Thanks!

Blue
    Dodge Magnum

I've cut them apart...a NAPA is a Wix. And so is the $3 Wal-mart Super Tech filter.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    well today was fun at work. my boss decided to finally let me cut open the vast majority of the oil filters that we stock. i didn't get any pics...but if anyone wanted pics i could probably get some tomorrow evening. i'll give a little description. the filters that i cut open are listed below with an average price...
    I've cut open a few filters in the past and I'll pass on this warning/advise: To be fair you have to use the same application filter for every brand. I couldn't tell from the pictures whether you did or not. And yes AcDelco is made by Champion Labs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Good information. Here's a link to a similar writeup that covers a couple of additional brands from a few years ago and then was updated last year: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...reference.html
    That info is very old and dated, so becareful trusting everything on that site.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    That info is very old and dated, so becareful trusting everything on that site.
    The original info was from back in '99 or so if I read it right. But it looks like it was updated last year. Take a look and let me know if I am reading it wrong.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

aahhh yes. I didn't bother to reread the site since I've been there in the past. It is updated! Although I disagree the AcDelco filter is a rebranded Champ Ecore. At least not the ones I cut apart. We sell both Champ and AcDelco. And in most cases (for GM applications) the AcDelco is way better. The only exceptions is the Champ and AcDelco 48s & 2129s are the exact same good quality filter. Otherwise the Champs are thin, lightweight, crappy filters and only a little better then the Frams I cut apart.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's good to know. I just bought an AC Delco for the Bird -- time to change the oil in her soon. I did get the PF61 this time as I still can't believe how tiny the recommended filter is!

Post Really! How Good Are Amsoil Oil Filters?

Some great data on OTC oil filters. But how about Amsoil EaO oil filters?

Check out: Really! How Good Are Amsoil Oil Filters? - link

Also, another home grown oil filter cut apart on YouTube: Click HERE

CompSyn

Thread Information