Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i thought your guy's internals were a weak point ..
    Well for me I hear conflicting things about the 3800II internals. So I'll be going full forged when I do my blower...
    More for reliability rather than for drag..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

01 modded gtp

They are and I am very weary about doing those mods, but I want to go fast haha. I might end up selling the gtp though and upgrade to a G35, TA or a GTO. Hopefully the GTO or TA though but I am afraid that if I get one of those that It will impractical because it would be my DD.

red
    99 camaro

my car had the exact same mods from 40k till I sold it at 165k and was still churnin out ass whoopins for the close to stock 99-03 gt's in the area. I dont think the stock internals are weak they just wont take alot of kr from a bad tune.

01 modded gtp

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    my car had the exact same mods from 40k till I sold it at 165k and was still churnin out ass whoopins for the close to stock 99-03 gt's in the area. I dont think the stock internals are weak they just wont take alot of kr from a bad tune.
    Exactly I you have a pulley with no supporting mods you engine will blow to pieces

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoiJoe View Post
    They are and I am very weary about doing those mods, but I want to go fast haha. I might end up selling the gtp though and upgrade to a G35, TA or a GTO. Hopefully the GTO or TA though but I am afraid that if I get one of those that It will impractical because it would be my DD.
    A T/A has been my daily driver for the past ten years. Not impractical at all and gets better mileage than lots of cars

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    A T/A has been my daily driver for the past ten years. Not impractical at all and gets better mileage than lots of cars
    some people have more needs than MPG, interior space, cargo space, towing cap, snow.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    some people have more needs than MPG, interior space, cargo space, towing cap, snow.
    Yeah, true. Not so good in the snow. I have fit a lot of stuff in my TA though. my GTO actually had less cargo room than the WS6 because the trunk is so small

Silver
    2002 Camaro ss

[QUOTE=ls1camino;2148215]2000 2-Door...guesstimating about 300 to the wheels

Experienced w-body/ ex-gtp owner here. Sounds like a nice car. Your current mods (3.4, headers, downpipe, intake and thermostat) won't get ya 300 to the wheels. W-bodies really are known for their shitty dyno numbers. Those mods might get ya 240 to the wheels. When my GTP ran 13.71@101 it had intake, 3.5 pulley, powerlog, 3" downpipe, AL104s and HP tune. And ya, a tune will wake that car right up like nobody's business. Put the GTP on the dyno for baseline pull...made 189 @ the wheels. Custom HP tune brought me up to 227whp! just from the tune! It was friggin awesome!

Good luck with future modding...cam and intercooler sound like good next mods and you should probably get a cat-back on that thing too. A 2.5" catback on a GTP reeeealllly makes a difference up top.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Not sure where you heard that from

The L67 bottom end is damn near bulletproof. As far as its known, nobody has actually blown one up from power production alone. Theres guy on the GTP forums with a full bolt on whipple charged L67 making 570WHP on the stock bottom end reliably. Very impressive.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

its my understanding from the GTP community that the pistons are the problem.

one guy making that power does not mean its the norm.....Ed is running over 666 through his 10 bolt ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not sure where you heard that from

The L67 bottom end is damn near bulletproof. As far as its known, nobody has actually blown one up from power production alone. Theres guy on the GTP forums with a full bolt on whipple charged L67 making 570WHP on the stock bottom end reliably. Very impressive.
    You sound like a ricer, My DSM is bullet proof cause my friend is making 500whp on his stock engine.

That is obviously not the norm

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The 3800 has shity stock internals. Some may pull off high HP numbers here and there but the 3800 is far from bullet proof and is being replaced with the far superior 60*v6. The 660 is a far better balanced internally as opposed to the bullshit 3800 counter shaft balanced engine. I don't hate the 3800 tho for obvious reasons. If they are built properly with forged internals they can be built to pull wheel stands. However 60* is a near perfect distance center to center in a Vee engine cylinder spread.

The Doc is out..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-13-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling and moved sig...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

its my understanding from the GTP community that the pistons are the problem.

one guy making that power does not mean its the norm.....Ed is running over 666 through his 10 bolt ...
    Didn't say it was the norm. I merely said it was possible. Plenty of guys are still pushing over 400WHP on stock engines though, all it takes it a turbo kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You sound like a ricer, My DSM is bullet proof cause my friend is making 500whp on his stock engine.

That is obviously not the norm
    The difference is DSM's are built like complete pieces of shit and blow up every day. The 3800 Series is the same legendary engine that was in the Grand National. DSM's are legendary for being white trash ricer cars.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

my friend is acutally thinking about selling his gtp right now, and i may pick it up.

3.2 pulley, ssic, ported sc and lim, zzp tb,headers, all the other supporting bs. Here is a dyno video, gotta love that whine.

http://s515.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MVI_1195.flv

http://s515.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MVI_1196.flv

Silver
    2002 Camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    The 3800 has shity stock internals. Some may pull off high HP numbers here and there but the 3800 is far from bullet proof and is being replaced with the far superior 60*v6. The 660 is a far better balanced internally as opposed to the bullshit 3800 counter shaft balanced engine. I don't hate the 3800 tho for obvious reasons. If they are built properly with forged internals they can be built to pull wheel stands. However 60* is a near perfect distance center to center in a Vee engine cylinder spread.

The Doc is out..
    IDK where you're getting your info from. The 3.8L has shitty stock internals? What do you mean by this? Which parts are shitty? I know of an 11 sec regal GS with BOLT ONS and there are many more out there, and daily driven, reliable 12 second 3.8Ls. 5 of my buddies have regal GS's and all are pushing the 150k mile mark and all are running smaller pullies. The reliability is there and so is the aftermarket support! Which 60 degree engine do you speak of that is "far superior" to this reliable, cheap, pushrod engine? The only REAL issues with the 3.8Ls is the intake manifold gasket... and the shitty transmission that GM paired this awesome motor with. Other than that, there are countless ones that have gone half a million miles. Go on regal GS forums and grand prix forums and do some reading. Tonnes of cars over 150,000 miles with mods and still being raced

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiels1 View Post
    IDK where you're getting your info from. The 3.8L has shitty stock internals? What do you mean by this? Which parts are shitty? I know of an 11 sec regal GS with BOLT ONS and there are many more out there, and daily driven, reliable 12 second 3.8Ls. 5 of my buddies have regal GS's and all are pushing the 150k mile mark and all are running smaller pullies. The reliability is there and so is the aftermarket support! Which 60 degree engine do you speak of that is "far superior" to this reliable, cheap, pushrod engine? The only REAL issues with the 3.8Ls is the intake manifold gasket... and the shitty transmission that GM paired this awesome motor with. Other than that, there are countless ones that have gone half a million miles. Go on regal GS forums and grand prix forums and do some reading. Tonnes of cars over 150,000 miles with mods and still being raced
    I get my info from nearly 20 years pissing exclusively with 60* and 90* v6's. Like I've said in many forums you'll come across some that go over life expectancy as well as some that hold up to power with stock internals but it's far from the norm. Also like I said, I don't hate the motors that's why I own one. There are also plenty of 60* v6 's that have gone over the mileage you've stated too. Go to 60degreev6.com and like wise do some reading...
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-13-2009 at 09:50 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiels1 View Post
    Oh and internally speaking ALL 60* v6 engines are superior in @ least one way by comming from the factory with forged connecting rods. Then we get into the angle between the "Vee", 60* center to center is the optimum angle and does'nt require a counter balance shaft to keep it from self destructing, and the oil pump is in the same config as many, many engines including v8's. One does'nt have to nearly tear the entire engine down to get to it either.. The 3800 is being replaced in passenger cars and Camaro by the 60*v6's... And the "Northststar v8* can be traced back to the 60* TDC.. Which if I may add has been making over 200hp N/A stock long before any 90* 3800 N/A stock was.. The Doc is out........
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-13-2009 at 09:50 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

I get my info from nearly 20 years pissing exclusively with 60* and 90* v6's. Like I've said in many forums you'll come across some that go over life expectancy as well as some that hold up to power with stock internals but it's far from the norm. Also like I said, I don't hate the motors that's why I own one. There are also plenty of 60* v6 's that have gone over the mileage you've stated too. Go to 60degreev6.com and like wise do some reading...
    Oh and internally speaking ALL 60* v6 engines are superior in @ least one way by comming from the factory with forged connecting rods. Then we get into the angle between the "Vee", 60* center to center is the optimum angle and does'nt require a counter balance shaft to keep it from self destructing, and the oil pump is in the same config as many, many engines including v8's. One does'nt have to nearly tear the entire engine down to get to it either.. The 3800 is being replaced in passenger cars and Camaro by the 60*v6's... And the "Northststar v8* can be traced back to the 60* TDC.. Which if I may add has been making over 200hp N/A stock long before any 90* 3800 N/A stock was.. The Doc is out........
    Now with all that said. I'm planning to go blown on my 3800II. There's no way in hell I'd slap a blower on my 3800 without forged internals and I don't even drag race. Quite frankly I don't trust it to hold up. I've heard plenty of horror stories and like wise plenty of cool/good stories. But as an owner of many 60* v6's from 2.8L to 3.4L TDC I can tell you from my personal experiance the 60* v6 is a far better motor. Like I've said I don't hate the 3800II for obvious reasons. Hell I've posted a thread of some impressive 3.8L motors pulling serious wheel stands. I say build what you like. I'm continueally learning here @ this site. But the fact is the all iron v6 motors are dinosaurs that GM is replacing them with the 60*v6 motors. Though I know some sh*t about v8's and built a few too, I'm a v6er @ heart and plan to stay that way. What someone else says it will do on stock internals does'nt impress me. The fact is they all have their problems. IMHO it would be stupid on any v6 to just stuff it full of boost and not do anything to the bottom end. But hell if that's what folks are doing more power to them.. You wont be seeing me doing half assed sh*t to any motor...
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-13-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

lol I have a 3800II v6 2002 Firebird (DD) and a 2002 WS6 trans am with H/C/LT's/3"exhaust/Tune/3.73gears.

I had had dreams of building up my V6, but when I started looking at stuff I soon came to the basis that buying a t/a and investing some money in it would ultimately give me more power and kinda be cheaper. I think I would cry if a V6 monte carlo/Grand Prix/camaro/firebird,etc. rolled out on me on the street.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    lol I have a 3800II v6 2002 Firebird (DD) and a 2002 WS6 trans am with H/C/LT's/3"exhaust/Tune/3.73gears.

I had had dreams of building up my V6, but when I started looking at stuff I soon came to the basis that buying a t/a and investing some money in it would ultimately give me more power and kinda be cheaper. I think I would cry if a V6 monte carlo/Grand Prix/camaro/firebird,etc. rolled out on me on the street.
    Haha, well get out your hanky cause there are 6ers out there that can walk you. (Smittro making big grin) But to each their own..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information