Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Budget Mods for a 1999 Z28

Hey all. So I bought my 1999 Z28 with flowmasters already installed (sounds nice). Other than exhaust (because I like how it sounds as it is) what can I do to to gain some extra HP without breaking the bank too bad? Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

hugger orange

do a search for (ls1 free mods), install university has some good detailed sets with pics for DIY.
    also look around for a cheap used ls6 intake.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

^Like he said^ Go here www.installuniversity.com click on LSX vehicles then go to install documents on the left. Start with free ram air mod, throttle body coolant bypass and for your 99 Camaro the EGR pipe removal mod. This should get you started. Not sure if you can do the EGR pipe mod since you live in CA, you might wanna wait for other members to tell you if this will affect your pollution control emmissions test or if they do a visual to see if it's there since laws are stricter there. You will definately want to do the throttle body coolant by-pass mod, as it stands now your car is running hot coolant through(under) the throttle body to prevent it from freezing, which I don't think you will have to worrie about. You can either by the parts yourself or by kit off ebay for 10 or 20 bucks. Good luck.
    Last edited by nillam1; 10-06-2009 at 01:40 AM.

RED
    2002/Z28

The first thing I did to my 02 Z28 was SLP Lid,K&N airfilter,Smooth Bellow. Iam gonna do the Throttle body bypass when spring comes around since I live in Virginia and it gets below 32 in the winter.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    You will definately want to do the throttle body coolant by-pass mod, as it stands now your car is running hot coolant through(under) the throttle body to prevent it from freezing, which I don't think you will have to worrie about. You can either by the parts yourself or by kit off ebay for 10 or 20 bucks.
    For this you really only need a 2 rubber caps for 3/8 hose and a 3/8 hose x 5/16 (its actaully a lil smaller but I dont think you can find it) hose splice adapter which isnt easy to find but it can be done, if you buy the kit off ebay they will send you a 3/8 x 3/8 splice which is too big on one end, you can force it maybe but remember your dealing with old rubber hose too...You can reuse the original clamps too...YMMV

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bad97Ram View Post
    The first thing I did to my 02 Z28 was SLP Lid,K&N airfilter,Smooth Bellow. Iam gonna do the Throttle body bypass when spring comes around since I live in Virginia and it gets below 32 in the winter.
    you can do it whenever your ready, I live above you in PA, have had mine bypassed for 3+ years now and never had any problems

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    do a search for (ls1 free mods), install university has some good detailed sets with pics for DIY.
    also look around for a cheap used ls6 intake.
    I have read alot of ads for lsX cars with this LS6 intake. Is it a significant power gain? Does it affect my mpg significantly? I also have 105k on the motor. Too late for such a mod? Sorry for all these questions, I have had the car about 6 months, and I know specs but not much else; and I originally had a 2000 Mustang GT. Fun car, but very different. Sorry if I am flooding you with questions, I do appreciate your help! You have me interested in this intake now, lol.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bad97Ram View Post
    Was there a noticeable difference after adding the lid? If I can't find an ls6 intake in my budget right now I may go that route?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusJ View Post
    Was there a noticeable difference after adding the lid? If I can't find an ls6 intake in my budget right now I may go that route?
    ls-6 intakes go for about $300, you can pick up a new slp lid for under $100 and used for even cheaper.

hugger orange

just remember, even if you don't feel any gains from a mod now, it will set you up to make more power with future/bigger mods later

Black
    00 WS6

You can find a used lid for $50 or $60, ported TB $80, LCAs $100 and a tune $200 (if you have an A4, not sure you need it if you have an M6). I'm running low 13s for very litte money.

RED
    2002/Z28

I went 9.03 at sumerduck and I ran 8.88 at colonial beach. But I never ran it at colonial beach.
    Last edited by EVIL-LS1; 10-11-2009 at 10:28 AM.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    You can find a used lid for $50 or $60, ported TB $80, LCAs $100 and a tune $200 (if you have an A4, not sure you need it if you have an M6). I'm running low 13s for very litte money.

Forgive me if it is a dumb question and I feel emabrassed for asking, but what exactly is a "tune"? I look at the word and it seems like a vague term so my brain doesnt want to percieve it, lol.

hugger orange

Forgive me if it is a dumb question and I feel emabrassed for asking, but what exactly is a "tune"? I look at the word and it seems like a vague term so my brain doesnt want to percieve it, lol.
    hey man don't feel bad, we all have to start learning some time.
    a tune = when have someone reprogram your computer to get the most power and mpg out of your car for the mods you have

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    hey man don't feel bad, we all have to start learning some time.
    a tune = when have someone reprogram your computer to get the most power and mpg out of your car for the mods you have

And do most engine shops do that type of thing?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

And do most engine shops do that type of thing?
    No and to get the most potential out of it you need to talk to a shop that specializes in our cars. If your just doing induction you really don't need a tune. You would see more gains by getting some cheapo headers like the ebay option racing headers then getting a tune (if you had to choose between the 2). If you want to find some local tuners post up in the western section there are alot of socal boys.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    No and to get the most potential out of it you need to talk to a shop that specializes in our cars. If your just doing induction you really don't need a tune. You would see more gains by getting some cheapo headers like the ebay option racing headers then getting a tune (if you had to choose between the 2). If you want to find some local tuners post up in the western section there are alot of socal boys.

Thanks for the info..I will look into some "cheapo" headers indeed!

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post

A tune was worth .3 and 3 MPH for me in the 1/4...well worth $200.

Silver
    2002 Camaro ss

A tune was worth 3 tenths a 3mph!? who tuned your car and what else is done to it?

RED
    2002/Z28

Yes I could tell a differance at the track. I went a best of an 9.17 Bone Stock then I did SLP Lid,K&N,Smooth bellows then I went 9.03. Then I did Throttle body bypass and a Delphi 85 mm MAF went 8.80. This whole time I had a clogged/bad Cat and 2 bad knock sensors. The best I ran was an 8.70 at colonial beach. Since I have put a new cat,2 knock sensors,SLP Y,SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, took out the spare tire and jack it took out 36 pounds. I havent had it back at the track..

Now the tracks are closed till feb,2010. Iam doing 373s,DR's,160,Tune,this winter and with the SLP Y,SLP Loudmouth 1 and with the new cat,knock sensors Iam hoping to run atleast 8.30s in the 1/8..

Thread Information