Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Raced a Ford GT just to hear it

I was back home in Raleigh for the weekend and I was pulling out of my neighborhood onto a backroad that goes up to an interstate. I see something come around the corner, and its about 11 at night, so all I see is headlights. I had no idea what it was until it passed by. "OH SHIT THAT WAS A GT!" Not a mustang gt mind you, but an actual GT.

At this point I already know I would be pretty f'ed if i raced the guy, but I figured I would at least see if I could get him to go. We pulled up to the light where the road has just split into four lanes, and I look over to see a Ford mechanic in the car (there are tons of dealerships just down the road). At this point I figure the guy isn't going to want to run it, but I give him a little noise anyways. He revs back. I need to go change my pants. Anyways, the light turns green and he takes off HARD. Sideways across the entire intersection hard. I got a decent launch so I was next to him across the intersection but as soon as he got traction, that beast was gone. That is one fast and sexy sounding automobile.

NBM
    '00 Z28

AWESOME!!! I would have loved to have seen that! Damn! Nice death. I would take an ass kicking like that any day just to see it.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

A GT is like Ford's version of a Ferrari or something right? They probably cost alot more tho... Nice race man!

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

The GT is made to compete with ferraris, but they are relatively (compared to most ferraris) cheap at $149995. The only cheaper ferrari is the 360 Modena at around $145K depending on where you live. 360 Challenges are around $170 and the big V12 cars (550 and 456M) are all $220k and up. Then there's the Enzo and F50...
    It was a black one with silver stripes by the way.
    Last edited by jimbo98z; 02-07-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Black
    99 SS

the GT is sold at a dealership by my house for $361,000. it looks nice, but way to much i think

Red
    86 Z28

Those things were made to pimpslap ferraris

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yeah-I'll bet the mechanic was having a good time.There was a lawyer here in St. Louis area that was trying to sue Ford to get his GT at list price instead of way over list like everybody else is paying.Never heard anything else about it-he probably dropped it.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

according to some other thread, they're production has been cancelled-so get em while they're hot! that is fucking amazing that he ran you though...what a dick head. he's working on somebody's $200K car and lights it up against you....GEEZ! makes me hope i never have to go to a dealership for work

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    the GT is sold at a dealership by my house for $361,000. it looks nice, but way to much i think
    Yea, all my prices were list. Good luck finding one for under about $200k
    About the production run: a lot of articles about the car (mostly car and driver and road and track) were saying back when the car came out that it was most likely only going to last through the 2006 model year.
    Last edited by jimbo98z; 02-07-2006 at 12:38 PM.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

in my opinion I would buy a new 06 ZO6 for 80K and use the other 100k for performance parts and put around 1000 to the wheels EASY, and murder any production car ever made, plus the ZO6 looks way better than the GT or any foreign i've ever saw
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    in my opinion I would buy a new 06 ZO6 for 80K and use the other 100k for performance parts and put around 1000 to the wheels EASY, and murder any production car ever made, plus the ZO6 looks way better than the GT or any foreign i've ever saw
    I'll go even cheaper. I'd buy a used up (but decent) 93-96 Corvette for about $10,000.00, get myself a 454 "Motown" crate engine for another $10,000.00, adapt the LT1's intake & ECU... enhance the drivetrain, suspension and gearing, and rip you're 06 ZO6 a new one for under $30k.

Edit: The "Motown" 454 is a small block, for those who didn't know....
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-07-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

I agree hands down. There are much better cars (in my opinion) to be had in that price range. Heck, you could buy a new Z06, slap a cam, headers, exhaust, blower and supporting mods on there and be close to (if not over) 700 hp. All for less than $100k.

Street Lethal: Motown blocks are pretty sick, but I think I would still rather have a new Z06. Just personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    Street Lethal: Motown blocks are pretty sick, but I think I would still rather have a new Z06. Just personal preference.
    I hear you bro, and don't get me wrong... I myself would love to get my hands on a new ZO6 for a little test and tune. However, I think I speak for many when I say (and I'm sure you'll agree), that there is no better feeling in the world (racing wise) than when you take out a factory car that is considered to be invincible, with something that you yourself built with you're own two hands (for next to nothing)....

yes, there is no satisfaction like killing a factory car with a cocky driver.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Its nice to hear that im not the only one that will race cars that I know will whoop me if I have the chance. I raced a Mercierlago the other day just because he was there and would race, from a 20 roll I had him til 85-90 when he took off like i stoped.

-00BlueTA

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 00BlueTA
    Its nice to hear that im not the only one that will race cars that I know will whoop me if I have the chance. I raced a Mercierlago the other day just because he was there and would race, from a 20 roll I had him til 85-90 when he took off like i stoped.

-00BlueTA
    Heck yea, life sucks if you win all the time.

Lethal: I agree. Going fast on a budget is always a good feeling. Its kinda like the first time you beat a Z06 in your Z28 (which I haven't done yet )

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Yea. My first expiecence with beating a vette was back in 2000. I had just bought a loudmouth exhaust system and was puting it on. Me and my bro spent a few hours (taking our time) puting it on. Not to mention we were usuing a hacksaw and the clamps that came with the system (no welding, air tools or sawzaw). Once I got the exhuast up and turned the car on I was determined to take it for a test drive. I only ment to take it around the block but you know how that goes. I ended up driving around for about an hour. I was testing it from light to light when A 2000 Vette pulls up to me blaring "Another one bites the dust" intentionally. So we run off the first light we see and I end up inching about a half car infront of him up to about 80. At the next light I blared "Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire" right back at him and he pulled off the road!! It was the best feeling ever!! That is my most memorable kill. I had a 24k TA, with probably about 2k in boltons vs a 40k vette..

Hotrod
    I've seen a black one with silver racing stripes around my part too. I gotta say I like the Corvette Z06 but if you compare looks only, I don't think the Corvette holds a candle to that GT. That GT is just flat out agressive looking. Now I'm a Chevy guy, plus the Vette is a lot cheaper but that GT is just an awesome looking car. Good race story! I tried to get the guy to rev his engine when I saw the one just so I cuold hear it but it was some old prick driving. He looked at me like "yeah you wish you had what I got", rolled up his window and drove off. If my insurance wasn't already high I should've eased off the clutch and had an "accidental" fender bender!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I hear you bro, and don't get me wrong... I myself would love to get my hands on a new ZO6 for a little test and tune. However, I think I speak for many when I say (and I'm sure you'll agree), that there is no better feeling in the world (racing wise) than when you take out a factory car that is considered to be invincible, with something that you yourself built with you're own two hands (for next to nothing)....

Could not have said it better myself.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

CamaroKillZ28
    The Ford GT is going out of production this year, I think the lastones roll of the lines around May of this year. And as for the new Z06 they are being auctioned off at around 120k because the engines are all handbuilt, so the numbers are still limited.

Thread Information