Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Will it? 06 mustang GT MPG rating 17/25 with a 4.6 liter. 2010 camaro 6.2 liter 17/26mpg. The Camaro weighs 400lbs more and makes 125more hp. I really would like to see what ford new 5.0 can do. Since the last gen of 5.0s were limited in making power N/A and with boost because of the thin lifter galley.
    i am positive that issue has been addressed

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i am positive that issue has been addressed
    Im sure it would be, its a pretty well known problem. I just wanna see what kinda power the can churn out and how well they can breath up top with the new design

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Camarofan View Post
    Well, take the 4.6 pre s197's for example. Ford put a 4valve in there, and it was nice. The Mach's give you guys a very good run. LS1 displacement is going to win out, but it's a good match for you. What do alot of us do when we want more Power? We find a way to get more air and fuel in the engine. Raising displacement is one way of doing that. Ford bumps up the 4.6's to 5.7's, and we've got a debate. They still don't have the displacement as the new Camaro, yet 400hp and 400tq. If anything, the LS2's should be more with today's technology. Having said all that, any car manufacturer can do what they want with displacement, etc.... Ford tries to give you a muscle car AND a fuel effiecient car. GM gives you displacement and power, they don't give a shit.
    It's true that when ford installed the 4v heads that the 4.6's picked up alot of performance. But, why didnt ford install them from the get-go? Because they hadnt developed them yet, not only that but, the cost would've forced them to increase the price of the mustang a like amount. Still though, when ford installed the 4v heads on the earlier cobras, they were still no match for an LS1. They did, however, get their crap together when they FINALLY came out with the Mach's and the FI Cobra's, and it true that the Mach's give stock LS1's runs for their money, but by that point the LS1 had been out for 7 years. As to the fuel efficiency, ive seen several LS1 powered cars get in excess of 27 mpg on the highway.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Arctic White, red/gray

Best mpg for my car was 28mpg, calculated. That was with headers,catback and lid. Best i ever got bone stock was 27mpg. These are all freeway numbers

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    It's true that when ford installed the 4v heads that the 4.6's picked up alot of performance. But, why didnt ford install them from the get-go? Because they hadnt developed them yet, not only that but, the cost would've forced them to increase the price of the mustang a like amount...
    The first year of the 4.6 in the Mustang was 1996.

The first year of the 4V 4.6 in the Mustang was 1996.

That would be "from the 'get-go'".

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

A 4.6 will get alot better MPG's than a 6.2. You didn't know that????

Ford is looking at different things when they build their Mustang, that's all I'm saying. They do well enough with the 4.6. If they put a 6 liter in their GT's, you'd be silly to think you would have the same advantage as you always have had.
    I gues that makes me a silly billy besides the op has a 98 which is the 5.7 mid to upper 20mpg's last I checked my neighbors 01 gt would be excited to even see 20mpg.

ohh and the new cobra doesn't come with a ford motor you lose.
    you know i'm just jabbin ribs man it's all in fun.
    Last edited by c5z28; 08-28-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Will it? 06 mustang GT MPG rating 17/25 with a 4.6 liter. 2010 camaro 6.2 liter 17/26mpg. The Camaro weighs 400lbs more and makes 125more hp. I really would like to see what ford new 5.0 can do. Since the last gen of 5.0s were limited in making power N/A and with boost because of the thin lifter galley.

That's not because of the engine technology. Camaro's fuel efficiency comes from the six speed Tranny. Mustang has 5 speed. I'd bet on this 5.0 vs the old version. My whole point is that Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler can give you power when they want to. Ford just never really needed to bump up the cubes to compete with Camaro or T/A. The Larger Crowd went for Mustangs anyway. Now that GM ANNNNND Dodge are throwing the 400+ cars at us, Ford decides to compete. They could've done that, even in 98 when the LS1's came out, but didn't.
    Last edited by Camarofan; 08-29-2009 at 02:36 AM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Ford made a committment to go with the "Modular" motor many years ago, with the idea that they could spread engine costs over several V6, V8, and even V10 versions. Unfortunately, the design was compromised from the beginning to make it more efficient to produce in those different configurations at a reasonable cost (though the V6s never materialized, and we all know the limitations of the 4.6 and 5.4 V8s). However, they stuck with it, and in terms of power and packaging, the competition simply ran away from them (GM early with the LS1, Chrysler and even Toyota later with their V8s). Now they have little choice but to change gears (so to speak) if they wish to be competitive.

The LS engines have a LOT to do with that, IMHO. They are the best mass-produced performance engines ever, IMHO. Bar none.

Bob

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Ford made a committment to go with the "Modular" motor many years ago, with the idea that they could spread engine costs over several V6, V8, and even V10 versions. Unfortunately, the design was compromised from the beginning to make it more efficient to produce in those different configurations at a reasonable cost (though the V6s never materialized, and we all know the limitations of the 4.6 and 5.4 V8s). However, they stuck with it, and in terms of power and packaging, the competition simply ran away from them (GM early with the LS1, Chrysler and even Toyota later with their V8s). Now they have little choice but to change gears (so to speak) if they wish to be competitive.

The LS engines have a LOT to do with that, IMHO. They are the best mass-produced performance engines ever, IMHO. Bar none.

Bob
    I agree. LSX's are the Shyt. I'm just sayin, I honestly believe other car makers can match it. It's been tooooo long for all of them to have been producing cars to believe otherwise. Ford hasn't been pushed hard enough to make them wake up because Mustang's sell like crazy.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Yes, no doubt Ford (and others) could do better....and would, if they thought it made good business sense. Obviously Ford figures it will, given that it appears they will be stepping up considerably in the next several months.

silver
    2002 ws6

if the new 5.0 makes the camaro look said it will also make the gt500 a waste of money.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I read somewhere that the new 5.0 might not be made because of the latest gas crunch, any truth in that rumor?

Scott

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    I read somewhere that the new 5.0 might not be made because of the latest gas crunch, any truth in that rumor?

Scott
    Well, Ford was supposed to come out with a 6.2 or something like that, but that's the engine that got cancelled because of the Gas thing, so they came out with the 5.0. A guy I talked to with a 2010 told me he heard from the dealer that they will be in the 2011's.

Arctic White, red/gray

Well, Ford was supposed to come out with a 6.2 or something like that, but that's the engine that got cancelled because of the Gas thing, so they came out with the 5.0. A guy I talked to with a 2010 told me he heard from the dealer that they will be in the 2011's.
    Will it be a 4 valve?

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The Raptor gets the 6.2 later this year, though it is NOT supposed to go into the Mustang.

The new 5.0 will be DOHC, and should debut in the Mustang early-mid next year.

Thread Information