red with 35th le stripes
    2002 35TH LE

02 35th le vs 55 belair

theres this guy that i know that has a 55 belair 2 door hardtop with a 427 with stock rectangle port heads,weiand dual plane intake,headers,2400 stall,th 400 with shift kit,3:73 gears,dont know what cam but only slightly bigger than stock,pretty tame idle. but he says that his car will pretty much embarass mine. ive ridden in his car and it dont seem that fast to me. his car is just a show car but i really want to show him what a ls1 has. what do you guys think.
    Brandon

my car has slp lid,bellows,crank pulley,loudmouth,and slp maf and has run 13.2 @ 109 oh yeah its an a4 also
    Last edited by Brandon35thSS; 02-02-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i think a guy with a vintage, rebuilt showcar won't ever push it over 55mph. you won .

Black
    99 SS

i dont know man, those 427's are some NASTY mother fuckers, prolly stock your looking at around 450-500 hp man.

i would say it would be very interesting to say the least. its kinda a heavy car, but man i would fear it.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

it doesn't matter, show folk have no intrest in power or racing. they take to much pride in how pretty their car is. Just go to an out door show and say "it was raining on my way in" and watch how they scatter....fags.

Black
    99 SS

that is true about the show car guys, but if he is serious man. good luck with it

'94 Camaro RS
    c'mon guys dont be flamming guys who own awesome vintage and muscle cars. without them there would only be ricers. give them some respect, my neighbor had a '55 Bel air w/ a 350 small block straight dual exhaust and that thing pulled like a motha f'er. sounded like a Nascar engine.

Black
    99 SS

i own an awesome vintage muscle car man, there is a big difference in the crowds believe me i go to the shows. there are some that mainly car about performance and most only care about appearance and they flock when they see dark clouds.

Black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

Show AND GO is the best way to go, down at Barrett Jackson last year there were guys in a full on sob because their cars got wet... 427 I think you'll give him one hell of a race but dont be surprised if he wins

It will be faster then you think.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by '94 Camaro RS
    c'mon guys dont be flamming guys who own awesome vintage and muscle cars. without them there would only be ricers. give them some respect, my neighbor had a '55 Bel air w/ a 350 small block straight dual exhaust and that thing pulled like a motha f'er. sounded like a Nascar engine.
    Everything pulls compared to your RS.... just kiddin bro.

I'd say run him...depending on what's done to the 427 he might win but I don't think he'll rape ya. He's probably just running his mouth though...those show guys don't wanna get any dirt on their motors let alone run it up to 100+

NBM
    '00 Z28

Actually, a '55 Bel Air isn't that heavy of a car. My '57, which is heavier than a '55, weighs about 3750 lbs. I wouldn't count on that being your saving grace. I wouldn't say that a stock 427 is pushing between 450-500 hp either. From what you described about his engine, I'd guess it's probably putting out somewhere around 375-425. Who knows though.

I'd bet you'd have a damn good run. Even if you've only got a couple bolt ons. Reason being you're running a fuel injected engine that's computer controlled. FI engines do a damn good job of having wide power ranges instead of the very peaky type power ranges that are pretty common on carbureted engines. Sure he may have more HP, but only for a very small portion of his RPM range. Bigblocks don't rev all that high either. Plus, your tranny's gear sets are set up better for performance than the relic TH 400.

It should be a good race if you can convince him to do it. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Black
    99 SS

do you know that 427's are all high compression engines? like upwards or 12:1 i believe, the ones from the factory were equipped with 450 hP stock, and that was serverly underratted at that number, and he aslo has some engine work done to the car so keep that in mind. those 400 with a stall are no joke either man and a shift kit, my TH350 i had in my Chevelle kicked ass man

Black
    99 SS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Big-Block_engine

The huge 427 in³ (7 L) V8 was introduced in 1966 on the Corvette. Bore was up to 4.25 in, and the power ratings were said to be conservative. The hydraulic-lifter L30 (L36 in 1968) option was rated at 390 hp (291 kW) and 460 ft.lbf (624 Nm), while the solid-lifter L72 pushed out 425 hp (317 kW) and 460 ft.lbf (624 Nm). The 1967 L89 (1968 L71) increased this to 435 hp (324 kW) and 460 ft.lbf (624 Nm), while the L88 from the same years produced 560 hp (418 kW).
    The 1969 ZL1 is one of the best-remembered big-blocks. Putting out 430 hp (321 kW) and 450 ft.lbf (610 Nm) from a special camshaft and tuned Holley carb in an aluminum intake, it was a $2000 option! But the all-aluminum engine block weighed just 98 lbs, less than half the weight of a similar iron block. Just two production Corvettes were made with this option, making it one of the rarest.
    The 427 was also used in GM full-size trucks and available in full sized cars.

there ya go man, a shitload of power

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Big-Block_engine

The huge 427 inĀ³ (7 L) V8 was introduced in 1966 on the Corvette. Bore was up to 4.25 in, and the power ratings were said to be conservative. The hydraulic-lifter L30 (L36 in 1968) option was rated at 390 hp (291 kW) and 460 ft.lbf (624 Nm), while the solid-lifter L72 pushed out 425 hp (317 kW) and 460 ft.lbf (624 Nm). The 1967 L89 (1968 L71) increased this to 435 hp (324 kW) and 460 ft.lbf (624 Nm), while the L88 from the same years produced 560 hp (418 kW).
    The 1969 ZL1 is one of the best-remembered big-blocks. Putting out 430 hp (321 kW) and 450 ft.lbf (610 Nm) from a special camshaft and tuned Holley carb in an aluminum intake, it was a $2000 option! But the all-aluminum engine block weighed just 98 lbs, less than half the weight of a similar iron block. Just two production Corvettes were made with this option, making it one of the rarest.
    The 427 was also used in GM full-size trucks and available in full sized cars.

there ya go man, a shitload of power
    Thank you for the enlightenment on the 427. I didn't know all that.

Are you sure that this is a factory 427, and not an engine built to a 427? If that's the case, it may not be a 12:1 engine. Plus, even if it is a high compression 427, who's to say with its age it's still putting out its original HP? I'm not saying it isn't a bad ass. Just that we don't know the details about this engine. Also, in the days that the 427 was built, they didn't have as stringent regulations about advertised HP. While some engines were making more HP than advertised, some weren't. I don't know which side of the fence the 427 fell into, but it's possible the 427 in question isn't putting out what it was advertised at if it is indeed an orginal 427. There are a hell of a lot of variables here.

Also, running through a TH 400 your power loss is higher than on a 4L60E, or M6. These are things to consider. Another is the type of suspension on the '55. Has he updated it? Will the car hook up?

Like I said, it should be an interesting race.

Silver
    1998 Z28

I have a '70 Chevelle with a 454, stock oval port heads, comp solid cam, etc. that is total slug. I yanked the engine to get it re-done because my Z28 would walk all over it. On the other hand there is a guy in Jersey with a '69 Chevelle, 454, oval port heads (closed chamber), solid roller that runs 10.30's. My point is you really don't where the Belair is going to come in at until you run it but if it's basically a show car I doubt the guy has it tuned (engine and chasis) to beat you. Good luck.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

I bet he'd get you, but only cause those 427s are badass

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    do you know that 427's are all high compression engines? like upwards or 12:1 i believe, the ones from the factory were equipped with 450 hP stock, and that was serverly underratted at that number, and he aslo has some engine work done to the car so keep that in mind. those 400 with a stall are no joke either man and a shift kit, my TH350 i had in my Chevelle kicked ass man

You're a bit misinformed. The Factory 427 came in several different states of tune/HP.

Some had 390hp, but the version found in the COPO Chevelles and Corvettes (L72) had 425 hp and had 11:1 compression. Another 427 option was the 435 hp Tri-Power available only in the Corvette.

The 425 hp rating was actullay a pretty honest rating on an engine dyno. How do I know? I owned a 69 COPO Chevelle several years ago. Mine was stock and I would say an LS1 might have a narrow advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecks70
    I have a '70 Chevelle with a 454, stock oval port heads, comp solid cam, etc. that is total slug.
    That is... a total slug, because of it's sluggish tune. I will give you the 454's stock oval port flow rating for that year, if you provide me with that Competition Cam's specs. What was it's timing set at prior to yanking it out? What kind of carb were you running on it, and then we'll delve into if it was set up properly.

Remember, it's cubic inches that makes torque... and even with a low compression big block, running half of a broom stick for a camshaft, it's still going to pull fairly well, if it's running right.

Thread Information