Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Header Install

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

evenin' all. i figure about a month into driving the car after the header install i'll share some insights.

1. all that i said about gearbox smooth as butter shifting like a dream...i was wrong. the clunking as i shifted into each gear is gone and the car feels a lot more responsive and stable with the new motor and trans mount...but the notchy gearbox and the difficulty into 1st and reverse is still there. i'm in the process of looking at clutches and accessories so i can do that job next summer. probably a monster clutch, new flywheel, tick adjustable master, new slave, and the remote bleeder...just do the whole damn thing and be done with it.

2. i'm not 100% happy with my TSP ORY. i lost a lot of ground clearance...which is obviously not uncommon...but this just feels ridiculous at times. i checked on it today after i KA-SCRAPED my way out of the checkers drive thru...thought i left the whole underside of the car in the gutter from the sounds of it. nothing came apart but it did come loose. i'm going to have to go under there and readjust the y-pipe. part of me is thinking that the best idea might be to go down and see the owner of my local exhaust shop...a guy i've known for years and trust fully...and have him look at it and possibly fab up a mandrel bent welded y-pipe and then just bolt that in there. shall see though...maybe towards the end of summer or something.

3. tinny and raspy is still there. if i go easy on the gas and shift early or if i get on it hard and fast it's not bad though. hard and fast is tough on the wallet and i don't much feel like getting a ticket for aggressive driving...so i'm the guy in the black sports car granny shifting around town.

4. ya gotta love the sound it makes on start up. turns heads every time.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I haven't had any ground clearance issues with my Kooks ORY...but yes it is tinny and raspy at times and I don't like the way it sounds sometimes
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I haven't had any ground clearance issues with my Kooks ORY...but yes it is tinny and raspy at times and I don't like the way it sounds sometimes
    I also have no issues with ground clearance with the OBX set up, I have yet to scrap anything. I your Ory 1 piece or 3? if 3 maybe you need to loosen it and tuck it up closer..What is the deal with the raspy sound when you change the Y, I bet that flat pipe on the factory was for that reason and not ground clearance? seems to hit around 3,000 rpms every time up shifting or down.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its the lack of cat converters plus the it might be (at least with mine) two 3" pipes merging into one 3" pipe then necking down to the stock 2.75" so it'll mate up to the stock and most aftermarket cat-back systems. Plus the merge is less then ideal.
    Also the LS1's firing order adds to its exhaust sound.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

it's a 3 piece y-pipe. when i adjust it i'm going to see if i can gain some clearance.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    it's a 3 piece y-pipe. when i adjust it i'm going to see if i can gain some clearance.
    Lossen it enough so you can just move it, then play with it one piece at a time, check for floor clearence, resnug and tweak until you gain everything you can get then crank them down...don't for get to lossen where the mid pipe bolts on work from the headers back..

black
    1996 impala ss

lt1 flowtech header issues

Anyone get a vibration high rpm between frame and header?

Hey just got done installing my pacesetter LT and on the driver side I removed the steering linkage and it went up easy.
    http://www.centplay.com/affiliate/id_189/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information