Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Silver
    04 Cobra

I might be wrong but i think that the Hurst shifter was a add on by SLP!

Red
    1999 Z28

not on all was said earlier....

Silver
    04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_132
    not on all was said earlier....
    sorry on some!!!

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

WS6s are bottom line sick, but a stock T/A isn't far off. Figure, your gonna change the shocks, sway bars ,exhaust, tires anyway! lol.

I take my buddies stang Cobra as a great example (i know, mustang talk on a trans am post is bad luck!), his cobra is bone stock, and he thinks its the fastest thing on the planet......u take a reg GT and add some simple bolt ons, u got urself the equivalent if not a faster car.........so my thoughts are its all about just being able to say,..yes its a WS6!

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

I beg to differ about the suspension. There is no suspension upgrade with the WS6. My wife Z28 drives the same as my WS6. All the WS6 package consists of from front to back top to botton is a Hood, taller airbox (wasn't included on SS's by the way, we're special), WS6 badge, upgraded exhaust (bout the same as stock just prettier) and 17" wheels. That's it. And they charged you and extra $3500 for this at the dealer. Soo, if you got the cash, get the WS6 b/c hey; it's honestly rare despite the fact over 12k of them were made for 02, you still don't see them that much. If not, get the base TA, it's just as good. Everyone changes the exhaust on them anyway, spring for a aftermarket hood, raised air box, some 17's and bam, you got a WS7 for less. Then add a blower and call it a day. MHO.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6_4_ME
    I beg to differ about the suspension. There is no suspension upgrade with the WS6. My wife Z28 drives the same as my WS6. All the WS6 package consists of from front to back top to botton is a Hood, taller airbox (wasn't included on SS's by the way, we're special), WS6 badge, upgraded exhaust (bout the same as stock just prettier) and 17" wheels. That's it. And they charged you and extra $3500 for this at the dealer. Soo, if you got the cash, get the WS6 b/c hey; it's honestly rare despite the fact over 12k of them were made for 02, you still don't see them that much. If not, get the base TA, it's just as good. Everyone changes the exhaust on them anyway, spring for a aftermarket hood, raised air box, some 17's and bam, you got a WS7 for less. Then add a blower and call it a day. MHO.
    Feel free to have a differing opinion, but WS6 is a suspension package.

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Well if you call 17" wheel a suspension upgrade then ok.

The WS6 package was first officially offered by Pontiac in 1978. Although rumor says that it began in '77 as a mid-year addition. It included:

* 15" X 8.0" aluminum wheels shod with 225/70R-15 Goodyears
    * 1.25" front anti-roll bar with hard plastic bushings
    * .75" rear anti-roll bar
    * Stiffer rear springs
    * Stiffer rear shackle bushings
    * Firmer shock valving
    * Closer ratio steering
    * Lower control arm supports

The 1979 (possibly even the 1978) WS6 package added rear disc brakes and a 14:1 constant ratio steering box in place of the 15:1-13:1 variable ratio unit.

The lower control arm support is not really on the control arm, but about that area on the curved part of the sub-frame that was on the WS6 cars. This support is small and relatively thin. It is about the size and length of a big pencil connecting frame to frame for the inside of the curve.

Today or 4 years ago I should say, the WS6 badge is still thought of like the WS6 packages of yesteryear but as stated, it's more appearance than anything. It should not be confused as to giving any kind of significantly upgraded handling performance.
    Last edited by 01WS6_4_ME; 02-19-2006 at 07:54 PM.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

The package was available starting in 1996 on Formulas Trans Ams only. Included in the package were:

Ram Air hood and air intake (like that of the Firehawk)
    The 1998s and up WS6s have a completely new hood with 2 functional intakes right above the standard non functional nostrils
    Freer flowing exhaust system
    Higher rate front springs (360 lbs/in)
    Variable rate rear springs (130-180 lbs/in)
    Stiffer front and rear shocks
    Harder bushings
    Larger diameter front anti-sway bar (32mm)
    Increased cooling
    17 inch wheels with 275/40ZR/17 tires

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Man, I guess the rest of us got jipped.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

not to be a jerk, but what does 1977 matter? I posted what they come with, and no one here will argue that it is made up almost entirely of suspension and handling upgrades (which 17 inch wheels ARE)

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Fine you win dewd, I'm tired of arguing about something that I never got. I was simply trying to say that just b/c WS6 meant something back in the day (77) when it was truly a handling package doesn't mean that it emparts the same today. Just like the 05 GTO...while badass back in the day looks like a cavalier on steroids today and even though it has a 400hp 6.0L sb in it would still probably get whooped on by a good WS6 driver today. All I'm saying is it doesn't mean the same today as it did back then. That's all. I am glad we can be adults about this though. The board has seemed to have matured.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

All I'm trying to do is state the facts and you get all crazy about how it isn't the same as 77 and how they don't have handling packages now b/c you can't feel it and it isn't 77 anymore.
    If you want to come in here spewing out opinions as facts than be prepared to have the actual facts pointed out, don't get pissed about it.
    "in 77 is really was a handling package and it isn't the same today" you are wrong, get over it - 1996 to 2002 got
    Higher rate front springs (360 lbs/in)
    Variable rate rear springs (130-180 lbs/in)
    Stiffer front and rear shocks
    Harder bushings
    Larger diameter front anti-sway bar (32mm)
    17 inch wheels with 275/40ZR/17 tires
    -dang, no handling improvments there?

It means everything that it did back in the day and more, they still upgrade the suspension, and the give em some appearance mods on top of that

White
    98 Trans Am

Yeah, the ws6 does have suspension upgrades which were just stated, including better rims which the nitto 555rII happen to fit on! and dont forget about the taller lower airbox. if you get the hood get the lower airbox/radiator support from a ws6. about the hood and paint: i would recomend getting a reg T/A and going to car-parts.com or trans am creations or some other junkyard or parts car and get a stock ram air hood from a ws6 since you wont have to pay for paint and you will save a lot of money.

Oh, the auto ws6 had a different rear axle gear ratio as well, 3.23's instead of 2.73's if i'm not mistaken. but you'll get a 12bolt or 9" rear eventually anyway and 2.73's are better on gas mileage on the highway. although i know they're worse than 3.23's i ran 13.4 @106 on 2.73's bone stock (only mod a k&N and Hood) and that's with crappy all year tires & 90k miles on the car.

Have fun w/ your new T/A.
    Last edited by csteingraber; 02-21-2006 at 05:28 AM.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

My TA has 3.23 stock. I think they all did.

Black
    04 Z06

ARGH!! I thougth that the 2000 WS6 also had some Z06 intake parts on it!! Which went onto the 01 T/A's. I have a feeling that the Rear end was 3.42 or 3.73 on the WS6, cuz the vette (coupe)rear end at the time was the 3.42 and the WS6 stuff was last years (for each year) stock vette parts... Probably orbiting pluto again, though

Quote Originally Posted by blunce
    Yeah but unless you wanna run around like all the rice burners do with add on primered parts, you need to figure in the cost of painting the hood, if not the whole car, and the 17" wheels look oh so much better than the 16's IMO (of course that doesn't matter if you have the funds to replace them with aftermarket parts)

I'd go WS6 and save your self the trouble.
    Save your nickles for the real deal, and run with the big dogs now instead of later. Plus it will help the re-sale of the car later if its the real thing,instead of a clone.

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Ok Z-Driver1, again you win and I stand corrected and am Man enough to admit it. After following up with pontiac on the WS6 upgrade, this is what they sent me. You are correct sir.

The "Ram Air" Performance Package included 325HP Ram Air induction system, functional air hood scoops, 5 spoke aluminum wheels, P275/40ZR17 highway high performance blackwall tires, specific front and rear suspension modification - larger front stabilizer bar, higher front and rear spring rates, unique shock valving and stiffer panhard bar bushings, dual oval exhaust outlets, and unique WS6 rear fascia badging and Ram Air hood scoop decals.

That is the difference between regular and WS6 right from the horses or GM's mouth.

Justin

Ol' Drippy
    One other thing to consider is that along with the better wheels and tires the WS6's got a higher speed limiter, somewhere near 160 but the base T/A's cut off well before that because of the stock tires.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Drippy
    One other thing to consider is that along with the better wheels and tires the WS6's got a higher speed limiter, somewhere near 160 but the base T/A's cut off well before that because of the stock tires.
    well,somebody forgot to tell all 4 of my Formulas/TA's which could all run around that 160 mark

there were models limited to 108 mph because of H rated tires, but if your 'Bird or Maro were equipped with the Z rated...then there was no top speed limiter
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

fedge is mostly right, 98 up wasn't limited. 97 down had limiters in the t/as. I raced a 97 ta in my 97 Z once and he got shut down at 130

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information