Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    My third gen,,,88 350 TPI to be exact was a solid roof car,,,and weighed exactly 3440 lbs. Only about 100 lbs lighter than my wifes T-top 2000 SS camaro,,,not alot of difference really.

The days of 3200 lbs V8 4 seater cars are pretty much over. With all the gadgets and doo dads, bells and whistles, that everyone absulutely has to have,,,,all these cars are going to weigh a fair amount nowadays.
    You simply can't order a stripped down car anymore without A/C and power crap.
    You just have to live with 3500 lbs + cars and find your own ways to take weight out.
    I agree, grudgingly, dammit. A lot of the weight gain has to do with equipment like airbags and their sensors/brain boxes, ABS stuff, power windows/locks etc. I do like my ABS, air bags, power windows, power locks, power brakes, power steering, but the weight gains add up.

White
    2002 Z28

I could do without the airbags. I always wear my seatbelt so there isn't any advantage to them for the front airbags. I guess I can see some merit in side impact bags.

I always thought it would be neat to have a club racer Corvette option. Do away with the power seat, windows and locks. A simple radio with no nav. Thin carpet and minimal insulation. You could make the battery smaller with less electronics. The alternator smaller. No run-flats. Just a complete focus on a lighter Vette. Take the original FRC/Z06 to the extreme.

My guess is you could take the C6 from 3200 lbs down to 2950 pretty easily. 2750 or 2800 wouldn't be out of the question with stuff like a smaller windshield washer bottle, doing away with fog lights, thinner glass, lighter weight wheels, lighter weight brakes, light weight headers and exhaust. No intake noise mufflers. Lightweight suspension components. A/C optional.

Put the Z06 motor in it and at 2950 lbs you have a car with ZR1 performance. Split the price difference between the ZR1 and the Z06 and you have a serious car for people that are interested in racing. Maybe put a roll cage in it from the factory and do away with the carpet.

Chevy should be able to sell 1500 or 2000 a year.

Take the exercise a little further and offer a Vette with the 3.6 V6. No PW, PL, PS or P mirrors. Make it the base for the club racer, just add the club racer option to get the V8 and suspension, roll cage and brake goodies. The V6 would easily be 2800 lbs and with the 306 hp from the 3.6 wouldn't be as fast as the V8 but it would get over 20 city and over 30 highway and be a great base car. Price it at 40k, just at the top of the Camaro SS price structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I agree, grudgingly, dammit. A lot of the weight gain has to do with equipment like airbags and their sensors/brain boxes, ABS stuff, power windows/locks etc. I do like my ABS, air bags, power windows, power locks, power brakes, power steering, but the weight gains add up.
    Ya I can do without all the power stuff. If I could order a new car the way I wanted it,,,,I'd skip the power windows, power seats and locks, A/C etc...
    That's just more stuff to go wrong down the road and it's expensive to fix. Just a rear drive V8 is all I ask. I guess I just like things simple. Probably why I favor old cars from the 50's - 70's more than anything.

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    they said the cars run best after 8k break in miles, no car mag has run one with more then 300-500 miles on it. They will be dippin 12s stock im sure might be killing terminators stock after break in miles.
    Don't get too cocky. The new Camaro weighs about 200 lbs. more than a Terminator. Hell, it weighs about 330 more lbs. than the 2010 Mustang GT. If you're into open tracking instead of 1/4 mile, that's huge.
    Last edited by 99 Kobra; 07-12-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

This is a little off topic, but, has anyone read the new Camaros transsmision gear ratios? It looks like the 6 speed auto will not have a 1:1 ratio in any gear. Anyone know how it will be dyno'd?

Here's a link where i read it http://www.powerperformancenews.com/...eased-911.html

Also, the auto first gear is like 4:1 thats pretty darn low, I bet the 6 speed auto is a monster off the line.

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    This is a little off topic, but, has anyone read the new Camaros transsmision gear ratios? Also, the auto first gear is like 4:1 thats pretty darn low, I bet the 6 speed auto is a monster off the line.
    Ya until you hit second gear. Did you see the gear spread??? It sucks. To drop from a 4.07 to a 2.37??? YIKES!!!

Reminds me of the sucky 1-2 gear spread from the 700R4/4L60 tranny,,,I would have thought GM could have made that a little better since they were starting with a new design

I see the 6speed manuals got a little worse as well. Although the gear spread is better,,,it starts out with a 3.01,,,,,,eh. That's getting close to the old T5 days,,,,ICK!!! And you loose a bit of overdrive from the previous 6 speed manuals too,,,it's now .57

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

So does anyone know how it will be dynod?

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    So does anyone know how it will be dynod?
    likely on a dyno.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    likely on a dyno.
    Ha ha very funny.

I mean that cars are always dynod in 4th gear or what ever gear they have the 1:1 ratio, so that the dyno machine can get an accurate power measurment from the engine.

Im sure there is a way to measure the power in a differant ratio, but I have never heard of it.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Dont know what gear, but so far i have seen 320whp-365whp
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-17-2009 at 06:55 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I see nothing wrong with the new camaro besides the rear end. I think they look bad ass, even better in person..

Red
    73 and 92 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Nice, and the car had to have been a v8, the v6 has a little over 300 ponies but only like 265 tq, they're just big fat pigs
    Still better than the Mustang and Challenger's highest powered V6's....

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Dont know what gear, but so far i have seen 320whp-365whp
    very unimpressed with the rwhp numbers from the autos--- the manuals are mo bettah.

bright rally red
    2002 ss 35th

i test drove the new camaro and wasan;t impressed at all with the performance

Thread Information