Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Question How do i know if I need a new clutch?

Im relatively new to manual transmissons and ls1 and i was just wondering how you guys know when u need a new clutch? Im thinking i do because my clutch catches almost at the very top of my release... where should it catch?

please give your advice thank you
    2001 Camaro SS M6 SLP LMII, Lid
    1987 iroc-z RIP 5.7 TPI Full exhaust, lingenfelter intake runners (gone but not forgotten)
    1991 bmw 325i DD

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Put it in a high gear like 4 or 5 and rev to a 1000 rpm and let the clutch out and if dies clutch is ok for now if stays running it's slipping and is crap. Probly have worn out slave and all that crap with the beautful hydralic sytems on f-bodys

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    Put it in a high gear like 4 or 5 and rev to a 1000 rpm and let the clutch out and if dies clutch is ok for now if stays running it's slipping and is crap. Probly have worn out slave and all that crap with the beautful hydralic sytems on f-bodys
    when u say "just let it out" im assuming you mean let it out fast and let it stall.. or it should stall and if it doesnt then i need one..

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Just let it out normally No need to dump it. But it should stall out but I seen you let it out and won't stall which is in need of replaceing the clutch

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Just let it out normally No need to dump it. But it should stall out but I seen you let it out and won't stall which is in need of replaceing the clutch
    ohh no i was just clarifying.. i havent tried it yet but i will so just let the clutch up normally with no gas and if the clutch is good she should stall... right?

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

I've heard running in it 5th or 6th at about 1000rpm and then flooring it will give you an idea if you need a clutch

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Maro SS View Post
    ohh no i was just clarifying.. i havent tried it yet but i will so just let the clutch up normally with no gas and if the clutch is good she should stall... right?
    yeah she should stall out If not then you know the clutch slips for fun and stays running. Ever accdently take off in. 3rd and stalled it. Well my buddys car you could take off in third and it just slip and barely move the car it was funny smoke just poured out from underneath. But like I said put in a high gear 5th set the emergncy brake and let it out normally and she will stall hopefully. If need anything else let me know

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Poppn View Post
    I've heard running in it 5th or 6th at about 1000rpm and then flooring it will give you an idea if you need a clutch
    This method would probly work but I would rather do it in my driveway. So if the clutch is bad I wouldnt be strainded on the highway when I burn up the clutch. Or have to let it cool down hehe I have done it before.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

This method would probly work but I would rather do it in my driveway. So if the clutch is bad I wouldnt be strainded on the highway when I burn up the clutch. Or have to let it cool down hehe I have done it before.
    I don't think it would burn up your clutch at all but you'll know quick if it grabs at all. just a second or so WOT so let you know. if the rpms flash up at all before going then you'll know.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Yeah my buddys truck was so bad it finally stop moveing it was hilarious it was that bad yes it very excessively worn out. You can do it that way if you want

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

One more thing... Where should ur clutch catch ideally? More twards the bottem? Middle? Top??

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Dude- take the car for a drive and get on it- if it slips= you need a new clutch.

/thread

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

I wouldn't worry about where it let's out at middle preferred for me but my s10 closer at the top camaro in the middle and my old cobra was right when you let it out

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

My camaro lets out close to the top also. I started to think I needed a new cluch because it was letting out so high. So what I did is that her out for a spin. After I got her to chirp into 3rd I realized the cluch is just fine.

Ryan

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

i want mine to catch in the middle or at least lower fromt the top... is it possible to adjust?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Maro SS View Post
    i want mine to catch in the middle or at least lower fromt the top... is it possible to adjust?
    Stock clutch system is non-adjustable.

With all systems in good working order (clutch, master, slave) the clutch should engage right in the middle of the pedal travel.

If it engages at the top or bottom, something is wrong.

White
    09 G8 GT

I noticed mine seems a tad high too~car starts moving about halfway up pedal travel then it engages right before the top, maybe 1/4 of the way, I was kinda wondering about this too.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74 View Post
    I noticed mine seems a tad high too~car starts moving about halfway up pedal travel then it engages right before the top, maybe 1/4 of the way, I was kinda wondering about this too.
    Mine did this before I got the new clutch. If it was the original clutch, it had 60,000 miles on it.

off topic kinda...how long should a typical oem clutch last?? Given it's driven fairly easy with the occassional beating at the strip or street

White
    09 G8 GT

Mine did this before I got the new clutch. If it was the original clutch, it had 60,000 miles on it.

off topic kinda...how long should a typical oem clutch last?? Given it's driven fairly easy with the occassional beating at the strip or street
    i am ALSO wondering this haha...car just hit 62k with what I'm guessing is the original clutch

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

All depends on how its driven.

Drive it like a Grandma and the clutch will last the life of the car, easily.

Drive it like some people drive F-bodies, and you're looking at needing a replacement as low as 50K miles

All depends on the driver and conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information