Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

White CAMARO SS # 846

Thanx guys for comments ^_^,waiting 4 the signal

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneLS1 View Post
    I raced a stock one with my stock Formula nd pulled it hard. The owner which is a good friend of mine then did exhaust, intake and FMIC which is considered BPU and I still pulled him decently from a dig and a 25 roll, surpirised the hell out of me. The following weekend me and another friend took him out one night and my friend rode with him and we taught him how to launch and shift, lol.
    You should tell your friend that an intake and FMIC does almost nothing for power. Exhaust does a little. He probably gained 5-10whp, almost nothing. What he also needs is dp/dp, and a tune. Infact a big front mount will actually increase the lag of the stock turbos.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-23-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You should tell your friend that an intake and FMIC does almost nothing for power. Exhaust does a little. He probably gained 5-10whp, almost nothing. What he also needs is dp/dp, and a tune. Infact a big front mount will actually increase the lag of the stock turbos.
    That's all wrong, sorry to say. It all depends on the efficiency of stock parts. I know for a fact that a FMIC is far more efficient than the factory side mounts at cooling the charge temperature. Also an exhaust is a huge upgrade on most turbo cars, since from the factory most turbo cars are restricted due to noise, and emissions.

When my SR powered 240SX was running stock turbo, I picked up 45whp by upgrading to a FMIC and 3" exhaust.

The only statement that is somewhat true is the turbo lag. Yes, a larger intercooler has more volume for the turbo to pressurize, but because they don't get heat soaked like a sidemount would after hard use, this negates that downside. Seriously, I didn't notice any difference in turbo lag on my car when I upgraded to a larger FMIC with larger piping, and that's a 4 cylinder. I've seen BPU twin turbo Supras run into the 11s on full bolt ons, tuning, and tire. Trust me, you are gaining more than 5-10whp from these parts. Yes, I understand most of the power is accented by turning the boost up, but the upgraded parts makes the car run for efficient at high boost, hence more power, hence ... you go faster.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    That's all wrong, sorry to say. It all depends on the efficiency of stock parts. I know for a fact that a FMIC is far more efficient than the factory side mounts at cooling the charge temperature. Also an exhaust is a huge upgrade on most turbo cars, since from the factory most turbo cars are restricted due to noise, and emissions.

When my SR powered 240SX was running stock turbo, I picked up 45whp by upgrading to a FMIC and 3" exhaust.

The only statement that is somewhat true is the turbo lag. Yes, a larger intercooler has more volume for the turbo to pressurize, but because they don't get heat soaked like a sidemount would after hard use, this negates that downside. Seriously, I didn't notice any difference in turbo lag on my car when I upgraded to a larger FMIC with larger piping, and that's a 4 cylinder. I've seen BPU twin turbo Supras run into the 11s on full bolt ons, tuning, and tire. Trust me, you are gaining more than 5-10whp from these parts. Yes, I understand most of the power is accented by turning the boost up, but the upgraded parts makes the car run for efficient at high boost, hence more power, hence ... you go faster.
    All the supra forums i was on said that with a stock setup that upgradeing the IC to a FMIC gains very little until you turn up the boost. I dont know personally because when i dwapped out intercooler on my supra i also did a full engine rebuilt and turbo upgrade but mine was also a 87.

All an intercooler does is make the air cooler, which will give you a little hp, but the real gain is the tuning ability it opens up. So without a tune and just a upgraded intercooler you dont gain much. Just like the legacy top mount to front mount swap. The only power you do gain is if your previous intercooler was horribly inefficient and the stock tt sidemount actually did a good job. Hell i took a 89 intercooler to 370whp without problems i cnat see the 2jz intercooler being worse. Also my sidemount didnt get heatsoaked from hard use, it got heatsoaked from stop and go traffic or time when the car wasnt moving, same with my topmount on my legacy it only gets heatsoaked when in stop and go traffic when im moving even at the track it stays pretty cool.

I know the 2jz tt supras could make 400+ crank hp on the stock twins but those turbos are limited to 18-20psi. Yes if you were going to be running more psi than stock a FMIC is never a bad idea and full bolt ons. But the mods he listed said nothing about a tune, so i figured why have those bolt ons but no tuning to get the power out of them.

This is a post i copied from this page

http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/arc...p/t-46817.html

Some people go on to say the TT 2jz intercooler is good too almost 400whp.

"I added a Greddy FMIC on my 97 BPU supra. and gained a whopping 8rwhp and lost 1 lb/tq. given that the temperature might have been different, my last dyno was 2 years ago at 382rwhp, this year 390rwhp with a slightly smoother fuel curve and the FMIC. there was a huge fan blowing, so aside from enviroment variables, the gain was not that big at all. Im sure piping diameter plays a huge part too, but the supra plumbing is already very adequate."
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-25-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information