Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I have to disagree. Numbers are numbers.......thats it.

Power is made UNDER the curve! Yea the STI may be capable of 331whp but how long and when?! The last 500 rpms?!

We all know about the 'Dyno Queens' but the strip is where it matters. If you can't hook and put that power down when you need it then your not going to be fast.

I'm not a fan of FI for that entire reason. So many import guys slap a turbo on their inline four and get it to push 300 whp but run 14's in the quarter mile.

Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

Man STi's sucks. 330awhp with an upgraded turbo? Pathetic. I made 346awhp on my 05 EVO with full exhaust, intake a pair of cams.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post

Power is made UNDER the curve! Yea the STI may be capable of 331whp but how long and when?! The last 500 rpms?!

We all know about the 'Dyno Queens' but the strip is where it matters. If you can't hook and put that power down when you need it then your not going to be fast.

I'm not a fan of FI for that entire reason. So many import guys slap a turbo on their inline four and get it to push 300 whp but run 14's in the quarter mile.
    Lol a sti can run mid 13s with 230whp, so 330whp should make it a low 12 second car with a good driver.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    Man STi's sucks. 330awhp with an upgraded turbo? Pathetic. I made 346awhp on my 05 EVO with full exhaust, intake a pair of cams.
    Its a different dyno, put your evo on the mustang dyno that STI was on and you would barley make 300whp. No 05 evo makes 350whp on a mustang dyno with a stock turbo, doesnt matter what cams you had.

Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post

No it makes plenty of power under the curve because a 20G isnt a big turbo. Its the BIG BIG TURBO 4cylinders that dont make good power under the curve. STi's are infamous for that since they redline at 7000 and with some turbo upgrades don't get full boost until 5000rpm.

When I had my EVO (with stock turbo setup) I raced an STi with 420awhp on pump gas with a GT35R turbo. I had 378whp at the time and I walked it easily all because his power under the curve was junk.

Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Its a different dyno, put your evo on the mustang dyno that STI was on and you would barley make 300whp. No 05 evo makes 350whp on a mustang dyno with a stock turbo, doesnt matter what cams you had.
    Oh I didnt realize it made it on a Mustang dyno.. Either way, still crappy numbers. My EVO made 378whp/386tq on pump gas on Dynojet with my final stock turbo setup. That would probably be close to that STi's numbers on a Mustang dyno.
    2008 Lexus IS250 AWD (sold)
    2005 EVO8 - 460awhp (sold)
    1994 Nissan Sentra XE (beater)
    2002 Electron Blue Corvette Z06
    Performance |Halltech Venom, 3:73s, LS7 Clutch
    Exterior |Chrome wheels, ECC Clear corners, Lowered, Tint

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    Oh I didnt realize it made it on a Mustang dyno.. Either way, still crappy numbers. My EVO made 378whp/386tq on pump gas on Dynojet with my final stock turbo setup. That would probably be close to that STi's numbers on a Mustang dyno.

They were low numbers though you are right. I know guys who have put down 360-370whp with a 20g turbo and supporting mods with STIs on mustang dyno on 93 octane. If i were him i would have another tuner take a look at the setup and see if there is room for improvement.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    driver mod

plus i doubt the SS is puttin 330 to the wheels, and the STI is lighter
    He's not even close

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    A sti comes in just over 3300lbs, about 200-300lbs less than your camaro. And whoever made the AWD is slower at high speeds comment is silly. 330whp is 330whp. Its already been calculated to whp. The only thing AWD hurts is getting power to the wheels but we already know what this car is making.

Camaro SS- 300whp 310wtrq on a mustang dyno like his 20g sti was on. 3500-3600lbs
    STI- 330 whp 370wtrq- 3300lbs

The odds are in the way of the STI, but if you won good race.
    There is a lot more to racing than just WHP and weight.

The fact that the STi had a turbo upgrade mean its going to have much more turbo lag than stock. My friend's stock STi has turbo lag pretty bad, expecially from a roll. Each time you shift, you get that dead spot in the powerband before the turbo spools, and then it pulls. So with a larger turbo, that turbo lag is going to be much worse.

Not only that, but STI's also have much shorter gears. Meaning in the time an M6 F-body goes through 2 gears, an STI has already gone though 3. Time spent shifting is time you're not accelerating, and each time you let off the gas, you have to spool the turbo back up. Takes about half a second for a stock STi to spool between shifts, with a larger turbo obviously its going to be longer.

Wheel HP doesn't mean shit if you can't use it effectively. As for weight, a stock LS1 F-body weighs within about 100lbs of an STI.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Im confused, how do you know this was on a mustang dyno?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    perhaps you are the one who needs a driver mod?
    Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    1st. yall know he should have beat me he just cant drive all that well.
    hmm....

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

What I wanna know is what gears you are running. You threw it in second going 55?? In my M6 that would be around 5500 rpm, enough to make me cringe and my car hate me for a few days. Also it would only be in second for what, two seconds?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Nero.Jacinth View Post
    What I wanna know is what gears you are running. You threw it in second going 55?? In my M6 that would be around 5500 rpm, enough to make me cringe and my car hate me for a few days. Also it would only be in second for what, two seconds?
    If you match revs, or better yet double clutch, it puts damn near zero clutch wear and no wear on the transmission synchros either.

What gears are you running?? In a stock M6, 55MPH in 2nd is only 4400RPM.

Red

I assume I have the stock 3.42s. 55 in second is just about redline for me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

yes it has stock 3.42 gears and 2nd gear will take you close to 72mph on stock gears. haha i went and talked to the sti guy yesterday, he says he quit so noone won the race. but if you ask if he was in front or behind when he quit he wont answer

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    hmm....
    you're the one that lost to an sti so i still say you need the driver mod

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    Im confused, how do you know this was on a mustang dyno?
    Cause a STI from those years can make 320whp with the stock turbo and supporting mods on a dynojet.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    There is a lot more to racing than just WHP and weight.

The fact that the STi had a turbo upgrade mean its going to have much more turbo lag than stock. My friend's stock STi has turbo lag pretty bad, expecially from a roll. Each time you shift, you get that dead spot in the powerband before the turbo spools, and then it pulls. So with a larger turbo, that turbo lag is going to be much worse.

Not only that, but STI's also have much shorter gears. Meaning in the time an M6 F-body goes through 2 gears, an STI has already gone though 3. Time spent shifting is time you're not accelerating, and each time you let off the gas, you have to spool the turbo back up. Takes about half a second for a stock STi to spool between shifts, with a larger turbo obviously its going to be longer.

Wheel HP doesn't mean shit if you can't use it effectively. As for weight, a stock LS1 F-body weighs within about 100lbs of an STI.
    This is true but a STI would spool a 20g by 3500rpms and be able to make power up to 7500rpms.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-16-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Red

Blue02Z, how far into the redline are you running it at that speed? IDK why my M6 would be so different unless you're running it into the redline quite a bit.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    you're the one that lost to an sti so i still say you need the driver mod
    And i'll still say that you're VERY ignorant to import / Turbo cars. Maybe you'll learn like I did one day.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information