Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jetta 1.8t

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Look I'm not arguing that there's a distinct difference between a "race" car and a "street" car. But a muscle car/spots car is more likely be considered a race car, than a 1.8l turbo jetta.
    So if that jetta was making 500whp and ran 10s would it then be considered a race car?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong shit happens. Explain please and I'll gladly retract my statements..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    So if that jetta was making 500whp and ran 10s would it then be considered a race car?
    That's debatible. It would have more incommon with a "race car" than a stock Jetta. Would'nt you think? A 10 second jetta would'nt be much good as a dd would it? So what would it be then?
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

I suppose everyone has a different idea of waht a race car is. But a close to stock GTO in my eyes is a nice muscle street car.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I suppose everyone has a different idea of waht a race car is. But a close to stock GTO in my eyes is a nice muscle street car.
    Right. But try to think about it this way. What does the word "sports" stand for in Sports car? Motor "sports" right? What are usually involved in motor sports? Race cars? Meaning race cars share some characteristics with thier street contempararies, and vise versa.
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-11-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Just because he raced you doesn't mean he thinks is car is a race car. Do you honestly think your goat is a race car? Sounds like the prejudice is going both ways.
    no, I never said it was a race car did I? The guy was acting like a complete fool. Every time I see either a Jetta, volvo, or a BMW in my town it is an 18-22 year old college kid driving it like they stole it.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 06-11-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Right. But try to think about it this way. What does the word "sports" stand for in Sports car? Motor "sports" right? What are usually involved in motor sports? Race cars? Meaning race cars share some characteristics with thier street contempararies, and vise versa.
    The new Jetta will out handle an f-body, so it can out handle a muscle car and handling is part of racing, does that make the new jetta a race car if it can out handle a quote sports car and therefore race car in you opinion?
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-11-2009 at 12:50 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The new Jetta will out handle an f-body, so it can out handle a muscle car and handling is part of racing, does that make the new jetta a race car if it can out handle a quote sports car and therefore race car in you opinion?
    Is there a jetta sports car? Is there a "muscle car" called jetta?

http://hubpages.com/hub/muscle_car_

This marked a general trend towards factory performance, which reflected the importance of the youth market. A key appeal of the muscle cars was that they offered the burgeoning American car culture an array of relatively affordable vehicles with strong street performance that could also be used for racing.

http://www.answers.com/topic/sports-car
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-12-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Look I'm not arguing that there's a distinct difference between a "race" car and a "street" car. But muscles/sports cars have more in common with a race car than a 1.8l turbo jetta with a race car.
    And your justification for this claim?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    And your justification for this claim?
    ref post #28

Although the sales of true muscle cars were relatively modest by total Detroit production standards, they had considerable value in publicity and bragging rights. They also served to bring young customers (or their parents) into showrooms who would then buy the standard editions of these mid-size cars. Automakers saw these as halo models and some, such as the AMC Rebel Machine, the COPO (Central Office Production Order) Chevrolet Chevelle, and the Super Cobra Jet Ford Torino were factory upgraded to be turn-key drag racers. The 1970 Machine even came with standard flamboyant and patriotic red, white, and blue reflective body graphics and paint for maximum street and racetrack visibility.

Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles. At its most widely accepted the term refers to American 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s equipped with large, powerful V8s and sold at an affordable price for street use and drag racing, formally and informally.
    As such, they are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing.
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-12-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Thread Information