Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: cobalt ss

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Wow, lot of gay in this thread, looks like wesman has it handled pretty well though.

I've seen several STI's at the local track and none of them have run 12s. One guy won't even tell me his mods because he's so embarassed by his times. I know for sure he has intake and down pipe upgrades and he runs a best of mid 13s, usually high 13s.

What I find to be hilarious about the whole thing is Zingery talks about how great the STI and EVOs are on the 1/4 mile track compared to the inferior Cobalt. Let me just say I could care less about either of these cars, including the Cobalt, but why the hell are you bragging about it's 1/4 mile times. Whenever someone compares an F-body to STI or EVO you hear these fags say..."oh but it can take a turn way better than an F-body and I bought it because it takes turns so much better an it's a rally car" BLAH BLAH BLAH...now it can't even beat the cheaper Cobalt that has FWD around a track.

Sorry but that's just fuckin hilarious imo.

I think I might actually buy a cobalt someday, I need a new beater car. I'll use the car for what it was meant to be used for. A fuckin "get around, economy car!"
    I agree 100%!! All these ricers claiming the Evo and STi are world beaters, and then both get beat by a $24K Chevy Cobalt with FWD. Thats hilarious.

I would love a Cobalt SS Turbo for a DD as well. How can you beat it?? It looks nice, its reliable, its plenty quick, and it handles great - yet it still gets 30MPG on the highway. Find me a better DD, there aren't any. Neither the Evo nor STi look nice, the Evo isn't the least bit reliable, the STi doesn't even have a forged motor, and the Cobalt beats them both in 1/4 mile trap speed and around a circuit. Now thats ownage.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63inside View Post
    And for the record I'm one of the "1 in a 1000" of Evo owners that've ran 12's all stock. But that was with a crappy 1.898 60ft. time. But on top of that, it was my first ever time to the track, and this is my first ever manual trans. car. I'll post up a slip if you guys would like no prob. for proof, it just sucks I couldn't get down into the 1.7-6 range to maybe drop me into the 12.6-5 range all stock.
    I've came down to the assumption that my car may be a "factory freak" seeing it trapped just over 107 all stock.
    Please help me understand how a 3450lb car with 230WHP can trap 107MPH bone stock. It just doesn't add up

The best times mags have gotten out of Evo VIII's were mid 13's at around 100-102MPH. Thats a huge difference, something is fishy with your numbers.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63inside View Post
    The new TC/SS is a great little car, and I'm glad is smokes the Evo X. The new Evo's are heavy underpowered pigs, that get out performed in every aspect by the previous Evo 8 & 9's.
    And for the record I'm one of the "1 in a 1000" of Evo owners that've ran 12's all stock. But that was with a crappy 1.898 60ft. time. But on top of that, it was my first ever time to the track, and this is my first ever manual trans. car. I'll post up a slip if you guys would like no prob. for proof, it just sucks I couldn't get down into the 1.7-6 range to maybe drop me into the 12.6-5 range all stock.
    I've came down to the assumption that my car may be a "factory freak" seeing it trapped just over 107 all stock.

But back on topic.. and I hope the new Cobalt continues to beat the piss out of the new Evo X in every way.
    all stock w/ a tune im guessing

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Please help me understand how a 3450lb car with 230WHP can trap 107MPH bone stock. It just doesn't add up

The best times mags have gotten out of Evo VIII's were mid 13's at around 100-102MPH. Thats a huge difference, something is fishy with your numbers.

And you bash others for "magazine racing". I bought my car a year and a half ago, completely stock down to the paper filter. No aftermarket gauges, absolutely stock. The salesman who sold me the car was actually the 1st owner and had complete documentation of the car for each servicing. I asked for no BS about the car, and I received none. The reason he had to get rid of the car was because he just got married and his new wife was expecting so he had to down grade to something a bit more "family friendly"

And like I said before, if you'd like proof I have no problem scanning all 3 of the 12 second passes I had my first time at the track, along with the 107mph trap pass. But I'm not sure where your getting the mid 13 second @ 100-102 numbers from either. Last time I checked the "professional" drivers pulled out 13.1's @ 104.. and they only run 3 times down the track and take their best time.. So why is it so hard to understand that someone with more seat time in the car can't knock off .150 of a second?
    It's like this with any car really, take the new Camaro SS for instance.. car and driver in it's testing did a best of 13.0 @ 111mph on a closed testing area, on un-prepped asphalt and the temp. was in the lower 40's. So by the "magazine time" and the way you believe it, hardly anyone should run better than a 13.0 on a prepped race track with some seat time?? I wouldn't doubt at all once people take the new SS's to an actual track after some seat time they could hit 12.7's or maybe lower.

silver
    2002 ws6

x2. he's full of shit. plus anyone can post up random time slips too.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    all stock w/ a tune im guessing

and to a ricer a "tune" means cranking up the boost.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    x2. he's full of shit. plus anyone can post up random time slips too.
    I hate to doubt people but it just seems too fishy. How do you pick up 3-7MPH on a bone stock car over what the mags get with multiple runs with a pro driver on a prepped track?? And they launch the hell out of those AWD cars too. Just doesn't add up.

That would be like someone with a '10 Camaro coming in and claiming they trapped 116MPH bone stock, when the best the mags have ever got was 111MPH. Now lower ET I can believe sometimes, especially with better tires, but traps don't just jump up like that with a stock vehicle.

black
    1999 T/A

A guy i work with has an 08 cobalt ss. he went 12.70s with only a tune and radials. swapped turbos and did 426 whp on stock fuel system. seems like alot of people here don't know what they are talking about.

black
    1999 T/A

and on any factory turbo car a tune means turning the boost up unless your retarded.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by itsfess View Post
    and on any factory turbo car a tune means turning the boost up unless your retarded.
    A tune means optimizing engine performance by editing fuel trims, ignition timing, A/F ratio, ect.

Turning up the boost means turning up the boost.

Tune does not automatically = turning up boost. You can do both at the same time but its not a given.

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

A tune means optimizing engine performance by editing fuel trims, ignition timing, A/F ratio, ect.

Turning up the boost means turning up the boost.

Tune does not automatically = turning up boost. You can do both at the same time but its not a given.
    for once wesman.. I agree with you

black
    1999 T/A

but who would get tuned without turning the boost up? unless your retarded.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

but who would get tuned without turning the boost up? unless your retarded.
    Maybe people who don't like overstressing stock turbos or stock engines??

STi's don't even have any forged engine internals from the factory. I'd be hesistant to just go jacking up the boost on an application like that.

I don't think it has anything to do with "being retarded"

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Talking

STi's don't even have any forged engine internals from the factory. I'd be hesistant to just go jacking up the boost on an application like that.

In this application for sure with the weak 4 bangers.

Cummins turbo diesels ...... that's a different story

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    In this application for sure with the weak 4 bangers.

Cummins turbo diesels ...... that's a different story
    yup--- it's the tranny that cant take it then....

I owned a 05 ss/sc with G85(limited slip,recaro seats) i was 2.8 pullied, cold air ,60lbs injectors, header, high flow cat andcat back exhaust, front mount intercooler and meth injection. after a tune i had 283whp and 266tq and i ran 12.88 at 109 with only coilovers and on street tires.

I never encountered a evo any body style or wrx, sti, or wrx wagon that could get any distance on me on the street.

I walked anyone of them from a 20 roll and from a dig i would have them by the middle of 3rd and put a car on them by 4th.

there were multiple times they were running more boost and claimed more HP and still got beat. They claim 350+ all the time yet i would walk them pretty good.

everyone thinks cobalts are slow yet i beat the top dogs of 4 cylinders all the time

I think evo 8's and 9's look awesome but they are turds. all suburus that arent pro rally or drag cars are turds too. Never seen a fast one and never will.

I got spanked by a 08 ss with a tune and exhuast and cat delete. he was at 300HP with just that. so it was easily a 12 second car.

FWD isnt that bad at the track if you get supporting mods to get traction. I was getting a 60 foot of 1.9(not that bad for a 4 banger) with street tires i barely got any wheel spin either.

black
    1999 T/A

Im not trying to get into some internet fight but i've never seen or heard of a factory turbo that would be "overstressed" from turning the boost up a little bit. I'm not however saying that it can't be done. there is a limit for everything. turbos don't realy get overstressed though, just out of their efficiency range.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Im not trying to get into some internet fight but i've never seen or heard of a factory turbo that would be "overstressed" from turning the boost up a little bit. I'm not however saying that it can't be done. there is a limit for everything. turbos don't realy get overstressed though, just out of their efficiency range.
    Correct, wesman makes it seem that turning up the boost automatically means its gonna blow if your not running forged itnernals. What he fails to realize is boost means nothing. A gt35r at 20psi is worlds away as far as stress and power goes compared to the stock STI turbo pushing 20psi.

As i have said before my legacy is tuned, same long block as the sti the boost stock was 12.5 and now is 17.5-18.5 its been 37kmiles since i did this and have had no problems. The STI internals can handle 400whp after that point its time to buy forged

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    boost means nothing

???

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    ???
    When someone says to you im running 20psi what does it mean, 20psi on one turbo could =300whp while 20psi on a bigger turbo could =400whp. What really matters is how much air are you flowing a gt35r at 20psi is flowing a shit ton more air than my stock vf40 at 20psi and there for more power. He keeps saying stock sti internals have a hard time handling big boost, no they have hard tiem handling that much power, boost means nothing without knowing what turbo it is aswell.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I knew what he meant by it though...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information