98 Formula
    06 duramax

Frost...tranny settings

I've wondered about this for a long time and have never stumbled across the reason it's like this.
    Why does the car shift differently if you move the selector manually? If I move the selector down to L1 and take off and immediately put it in L2 it will bang the limiter everytime. I'm pretty sure it'll do it if I just drop it to L3 also. If I leave it in drive it shifts pretty much right where my shift points are.

I logged my mph to make sure my mph was being met and it is. Could it be because my mph is actually shifting quite a bit higher than I have it set? I know in the old days they always said you wanted those pretty close together but I've also seen tunes where people have zero'd out the mph and used rpm only. What puzzles me is why moving the selector is changing the shift points. If I leave it in drive it shifts pretty much where I have it set at. The 1-2 shift is a little sooner than commanded but I can adjust for that.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Subscribed. On another note, when mine is in second it wont downshift to first "Most" of the time, and when in 3rd it does the same.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I've wondered about this for a long time and have never stumbled across the reason it's like this.
    Why does the car shift differently if you move the selector manually? If I move the selector down to L1 and take off and immediately put it in L2 it will bang the limiter everytime. I'm pretty sure it'll do it if I just drop it to L3 also. If I leave it in drive it shifts pretty much right where my shift points are.

I logged my mph to make sure my mph was being met and it is. Could it be because my mph is actually shifting quite a bit higher than I have it set? I know in the old days they always said you wanted those pretty close together but I've also seen tunes where people have zero'd out the mph and used rpm only. What puzzles me is why moving the selector is changing the shift points. If I leave it in drive it shifts pretty much where I have it set at. The 1-2 shift is a little sooner than commanded but I can adjust for that.
    I "think" the elecrontic shift control only operates with the thifter in OD and D, and only OD in cars with a 3 inplace of the D. It's Posible that the electronic shift control gets disabled durring manual gear selection. Which means the trany MAY use pump pressure or rpm or both to "automaticly" shift between gears.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Subscribed. On another note, when mine is in second it wont downshift to first "Most" of the time, and when in 3rd it does the same.
    I dunno, do you mean when you go to WOT in second it wont shift into first? Or are you askin about using the gears to slow you down (not really a good idea)?? Both?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I dunno, do you mean when you go to WOT in second it wont shift into first? Or are you askin about using the gears to slow you down (not really a good idea)?? Both?
    it will not downshift to first gear. It will just bog and go.

Its not a 6 speed lol... even though I will occassional at under 35mph put it in second for the sound.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I "think" the elecrontic shift control only operates with the thifter in OD and D, and only OD in cars with a 3 inplace of the D. It's Posible that the electronic shift control gets disabled durring manual gear selection. Which means the trany MAY use pump pressure or rpm or both to "automaticly" shift between gears.
    I'm guessing it might have to do with the relationship of adaptive shifting and line pressures. I'm just not exactly sure how to log and fix the issue. Maybe log delivered torque and adjust the pressures on the shift tables???

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Subscribed. Similar thing going on with our A4... the 1-2 manual shift will engage upon shifting, but the 2-3 shift will delay until it tachs out.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Subscribed. Similar thing going on with our A4... the 1-2 manual shift will engage upon shifting, but the 2-3 shift will delay until it tachs out.
    me too. subscribed....

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have seen it but I don't know why it is. I tell people if they want to shift, get a MVB or a six speed. Even if you HAD control, you cannot shift repeatably like the PCM, so why give that up?

It's not the answer that you want, I know

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I have seen it but I don't know why it is. I tell people if they want to shift, get a MVB or a six speed. Even if you HAD control, you cannot shift repeatably like the PCM, so why give that up?

But it is still fun to do it once awhile when dicking around. But yest you are right you can not shift faster than a PCM

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree with you 100%..... I never shift manually at the track. The only time I've ever really shifted manually was if I wanted to hold first gear such as making a turn and then hammer it when I got straight. If I do that then it bangs the limiter. I would like to solve the question as to why it shifts differently when I do. I'm going to log delivered torque and start looking at where it's at on those tables and raising specific pressures and see what happens.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I agree with you 100%..... I never shift manually at the track. The only time I've ever really shifted manually was if I wanted to hold first gear such as making a turn and then hammer it when I got straight. If I do that then it bangs the limiter. I would like to solve the question as to why it shifts differently when I do. I'm going to log delivered torque and start looking at where it's at on those tables and raising specific pressures and see what happens.
    Orion,
    what equipment are you using to "log" these events. Do you need a tuning software to do this?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    it will not downshift to first gear. It will just bog and go.

Its not a 6 speed lol... even though I will occassional at under 35mph put it in second for the sound.
    first i believe taps out at like 15..or 10...i never like 1st ..its soo torquey that i rarely want to be in that gear...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Usually, if you are holding a gear, as soon as you hit it, immediately moving back to drive makes it hold the way you want and it will still go back to normal WOT shifting (ie it wont shift when you move the selector but rather when it gets to the top of the gear as it should).

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Usually, if you are holding a gear, as soon as you hit it, immediately moving back to drive makes it hold the way you want and it will still go back to normal WOT shifting (ie it wont shift when you move the selector but rather when it gets to the top of the gear as it should).
    right, that's what I do and it slaps the limiter. If I leave in drive though it shifts where it should.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have seen inconsistency between years with that method and never bothered to take notes as to which OS's did what. Sorry, not a lot of help here

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have seen inconsistency between years with that method and never bothered to take notes as to which OS's did what. Sorry, not a lot of help here
    well, I'll get to work on it in the next week or two and see if I can make any progress at least with the 98's. I just hate having to slap the limiter to test and see if my adjustments are working. I may back everything down to a more tolerable level until I get it figured out as to what I need to do. Right now my limiter is only 6700 but on a 98 I feel that's pushing it to keep bouncing it off there.

Thread Information