96TAragtop

Unhappy Factory Stereo Problem

Hello!

My 96 TA is having a stereo problem. It keeps popping fuses left & right. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it (it doesn't happen under specific scenarios, that I can tell). It popped the 1st time while just driving down the road. Later that day, I bought some more fuses, and they would pop immediately. This was last week. Well, I finally had the chance to look closer yesterday. I pulled the stereo out of the dash, inspected for bare wires and such, and put it back in. Upon putting a new fuse in, it worked fine. I shut the car off. I came out later in the evening to move the car and found it wasnt working again. Put in a new fuse. Worked great again. Came out this morning and started it, and it blew about 2 seconds after starting it. I have no idea whats going on! It is keeping memory though. Presets work when a new fuse is put back in, & time will still works when the fuse is blown; I just have to hit the minute button to see the time. Also, CD's will still eject.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I still have the factory set up, and have never touched any of the wiring our stereo componants.

Ideas?

Black
    1988 Camaro IROC-Z

I cant really help you with the problem your having, but the reason your presets and all that stuff are being saved, is because the fuse that actually holds the memory for the radio(if its the same on these cars that is) would be to dome light fuse. You might want to check your grounds.

Black
    99 Z28

There are some other things other than just the radio that are run on the same fuse. I don't remember what all of them are. If you leave the radio off, does the fuse still blow?

96TAragtop
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse
    There are some other things other than just the radio that are run on the same fuse. I don't remember what all of them are. If you leave the radio off, does the fuse still blow?

Good question. I will have to check that out tonight. I am currently out of fuses. I am assuming you are implying that if it still blows when the radio is off, it is likely something other than the radio. Gotcha.

Also, there are 2 different fuses for the radio. Radio & Radio Assy (or something like that). The 'Radio' fuse is the one that keeps blowing.

Thread Information