Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: STI Wrx

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Thats untrue, they fall on there face top end because the turbo looses boost its only at 10psi by redline. You put a big turbo and the right supporting mods and they can pull hard even on top end. But stock for stock a STI isnt that fast.
    now listen to yourself....stock they have no top end because they are rally cars..rally cars do not need top end nearly as much as low-mid. so actually i am right. and due to manufacturer rules in rally the production car needs to share a certian percentage with the race(rally) car. the sti ..the evo are rally cars and are designed as such

98' trans am

you can not bring aftermarket and mods into this argument..since it is not relevant to my statement

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds about right. My friend has an STI, stock for stock they aren't any match for an LS1. After 100MPH you might as well get out and push the car lol, they have no top end, period.
    That's because they are full time AWD, which is excellent off the line, but in the top end, powering 4 wheels is a detriment to the car's top end performance. However, within the 1/4 mile, they still trap in the low 100mph range stock, which is pretty close to what a stock LS1 F-body traps, although the F-body will have the advantage at the top end.

I've probably told you in a number of posts, it doesn't take much to get an STI into the 11s on stock turbo, especially the newer ones with the larger turbo.

In the end, I agree with you.... sounds about right.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    That's because they are full time AWD, which is excellent off the line, but in the top end, powering 4 wheels is a detriment to the car's top end performance. However, within the 1/4 mile, they still trap in the low 100mph range stock, which is pretty close to what a stock LS1 F-body traps, although the F-body will have the advantage at the top end.

I've probably told you in a number of posts, it doesn't take much to get an STI into the 11s on stock turbo, especially the newer ones with the larger turbo.

In the end, I agree with you.... sounds about right.
    As respectfully as I can be I disagree with you on 2 things.

There is a HUGE difference power wise between a stock STI and a stock F-body. We're talking about 70WHP here, with only about a 150lb weight difference, if that. A stock STi only traps about 100-102MPH, even the slowest A4 2.73 LS1's trap around 104. M6's are obviously higher than that. Put both cars side by side from a roll, and it looks like the STi is going backwards. I know this because I've tried it.

As for running 11's easily, I don't see that happening. My friends car has a Cobb Stage 2 tuner and a full catback exhaust...and it made absolutely no difference. So I don't see what you're going to do to run 11's short of cranking the boost sky high and blowing both the turbo and the non-forged engine all over the place.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

There is a HUGE difference power wise between a stock STI and a stock F-body. We're talking about 70WHP here, with only about a 150lb weight difference, if that. A stock STi only traps about 100-102MPH, even the slowest A4 2.73 LS1's trap around 104. M6's are obviously higher than that. Put both cars side by side from a roll, and it looks like the STi is going backwards. I know this because I've tried it.

As for running 11's easily, I don't see that happening. My friends car has a Cobb Stage 2 tuner and a full catback exhaust...and it made absolutely no difference. So I don't see what you're going to do to run 11's short of cranking the boost sky high and blowing both the turbo and the non-forged engine all over the place.
    So a cobb tuner and a full exhaust made no difference. I find that hard to believe as i have a 05 legacy(same long blocks as a sti just different turbo setup) and with a gutted stock downpipe and up pipe and tune i did using my lap top i picked up 50whp and ran a 13.67 at 101mph in a 5 speed auto launching at 3krpms. I have seen STIs with the same almost free mods run mid 12s. Im not sure we are talkign 70whp, i have seen alot of ls1 cars put down 280whp on a mustang dyno and STIs put down 230-240whp. BTW in tuning you do alot more than cranking up the boost, even cobb tuners change timing and air to fuel ratios, waste gate settings and much more. The ls1 is a far easier/better engine for making power but the subies can do it too, just takes more money after bolt ons lol
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-20-2009 at 09:53 AM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

So a cobb tuner and a full exhaust made no difference. I find that hard to believe as i have a 05 legacy(same long blocks as a sti just different turbo setup) and with a gutted stock downpipe and up pipe and tune i did using my lap top i picked up 50whp and ran a 13.67 at 101mph. I have seen STIs with the same almost free mods run mid 12s. Im not sure we are talkign 70whp, i have seen alot of ls1 cars put down 280whp on a mustang dyno and STIs put down 230-240whp.
    I'm telling you the mods made no difference. Feels exactly the same. He has a stock downpipe also.

Most bone stock M6 LS1 cars dyno between 290-300WHP. Most STI's dyno 220-230WHP. Thats an average difference of 70WHP.

'09 STI, downpipe, exhaust, tires, mail order tune, 18-19psi, 100 octane, good driver = high 11s

Will everyone do it? Absolutely not. I had a friend running consistent low 12s in the 1/4 mile with those mods at an average trap of 114mph, and he isn't a fantastic driver by any means, but he has the launch down. There are several STIs running in the high 11s on stock turbo. The older STIs have a harder time since they have a smaller turbo than the newer '08+ STIs.

I'm not sure what's wrong with your friend's car. The catback should have made a big difference since it deletes some of the cats that are in the factory exhaust system. Can't vouch for the Cobb tune though.

Arctic White, red/gray

I'm telling you the mods made no difference. Feels exactly the same. He has a stock downpipe also.

Most bone stock M6 LS1 cars dyno between 290-300WHP. Most STI's dyno 220-230WHP. Thats an average difference of 70WHP.
    He needs a new dp and possibly up depending on year of sti(both have cats in them, the exhaust would eliminate no cats since 2 are technically in the down pipe/mid pipe and 1 in the up pipe if his is a pre 06. That will get him to spool faster and harder, and he can retune using cobb stage 2 tunes, which are much better than cobb stage 1. I hit peak boost 17psi at 2900rpms, my car makes peak trq at 3krpms now which is 270wtrq pretty good for my DD with 200 bucks in mods.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-20-2009 at 10:00 AM.

98' trans am

i thought m6's usually dyno'd 300-310ish ?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i thought m6's usually dyno'd 300-310ish ?
    310WHP is on the high side. It can be anywhere from 290-310WHP, but the 01+ cars would be more likely to dyno 310WHP since they had the LS6 intake.

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

this guy had some stuff done i dont know what but im making 410rwhp and 386 torque and i didnt blow him away as much i thought i would ive raced them stock for stock and i did major damage to my buddies ego but if i wouldve been stock still this sti wouldve creamed me

Black
    02 T/A WS6

I have a stock motor, custom exhaust and a 3.73. Soon to be headers and tires

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

ive seen you guys talk about stock STI's run as far as MPH but what about modded. I cant tell you how many times ive seen Evo's or Sti's just kill other cars in the quarter and then either run the same MPH or slower. Those times that some of you are saying has soo many factors that its just not worth having a huge debate about till you see it in person. Ive seen a Porsche 911 Turbo a few years back i think 2004, some guy driving it ran it horrible. Bogged it off the line and pulled off a 13.2 E.T at 114 MPH when my 01 SS pulled 13.4 at 107 mph stock. So E.T's are close but MPH is not at all and ive seen Evo's run 12.6 E.T and get a 106-108 MPH when they first came out. So the numbers will be all over the place and the MPH sometimes is hard to compare to the E.T, just too many factors as to why someone gets a certain MPH and E.T. Four wheel drive cars make up most of the time off the line after that its wether you have enough room to catch them and in the quartermile its hard beating one off the line unless you have good tires, suspension and driver.

I probably hate you bowtieguy02SS's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

they may be slower than the ls1, but as stated I love the look of them and would love to take them to a rally circut and beat the shit out of it

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    ive seen you guys talk about stock STI's run as far as MPH but what about modded. I cant tell you how many times ive seen Evo's or Sti's just kill other cars in the quarter and then either run the same MPH or slower. Those times that some of you are saying has soo many factors that its just not worth having a huge debate about till you see it in person. Ive seen a Porsche 911 Turbo a few years back i think 2004, some guy driving it ran it horrible. Bogged it off the line and pulled off a 13.2 E.T at 114 MPH when my 01 SS pulled 13.4 at 107 mph stock. So E.T's are close but MPH is not at all and ive seen Evo's run 12.6 E.T and get a 106-108 MPH when they first came out. So the numbers will be all over the place and the MPH sometimes is hard to compare to the E.T, just too many factors as to why someone gets a certain MPH and E.T. Four wheel drive cars make up most of the time off the line after that its wether you have enough room to catch them and in the quartermile its hard beating one off the line unless you have good tires, suspension and driver.

because modded times dont mean shit.....a huffy bike modded could run fast quarter..even a chevy aveo could....its irrelevant...ANY car can be modded to go fast...not every car can go fast stock

98' trans am

also mph tells alot more then E.Ts...for example..the new SS traps at 113 i believe and only runs a 13...this tells us that it has the power to easily run in the 12s..but traction is the issue. i personally think that trap speed is a better factor then e.T

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

shady milkman, you missed my point and then made my point on your message after mine. Thats exactly what i mean, the times are all over the place and im using examples to explain you just cant pin point why one car goes faster meaning E.T or MPH then another car since it has many factors. Most 4WD cars will run quicker E.T's and ill stick to stock so its easier to understand then RWD cars. If a STI has 300HP i think with a good driver it can run a quicker E.T atleast then a LS1 maybe but the LS1 will most likely have a faster MPH. Ive seen that happen many many times, 4WD cars just fall flat after they get up there in the MPH. In the end a 4wd car is usually quicker modded or stock then a car with equal or a bit more hp but runs slower MPH, usually. I think the EVO handles excellent and does other things well not just one thing, but i still love my LS1. The new camaro, so far ive seen 110-111 MPH but im sure other magz have been able to run them faster.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 04-22-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

shady milkman, you missed my point and then made my point on your message after mine. Thats exactly what i mean, the times are all over the place and im using examples to explain you just cant pin point why one car goes faster meaning E.T or MPH then another car since it has many factors. Most 4WD cars will run quicker E.T's and ill stick to stock so its easier to understand then RWD cars. If a STI has 300HP i think with a good driver it can run a quicker E.T atleast then a LS1 maybe but the LS1 will most likely have a faster MPH. Ive seen that happen many many times, 4WD cars just fall flat after they get up there in the MPH. In the end a 4wd car is usually quicker modded or stock then a car with equal or a bit more hp but runs slower MPH, usually. I think the EVO handles excellent and does other things well not just one thing, but i still love my LS1. The new camaro, so far ive seen 110-111 MPH but im sure other magz have been able to run them faster.

The new evo and STI can put down 340whp with the stock turbo and bolt ons and tune and running 93 octane. That makes both of those cars deep deep 12 second cars some even touching 11.8s or so. I havent seen too many ls1 cars with bolt ons and a tune running deep 12s with no drivetrain work done.

When comparing cars i too look at trap speed to show how much power they are making. A 340whp ls1 car vs a 340whp sti will have simular trap times but the STIs 1/4mile time will most likely be faster.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-22-2009 at 07:45 AM.

The new evo and STI can put down 340whp with the stock turbo and bolt ons and tune and running 93 octane. That makes both of those cars deep deep 12 second cars some even touching 11.8s or so. I havent seen too many ls1 cars with bolt ons and a tune running deep 12s with no drivetrain work done.

When comparing cars i too look at trap speed to show how much power they are making. A 340whp ls1 car vs a 340whp sti will have simular trap times but the STIs 1/4mile time will most likely be faster.
    Yep, this is because the stock turbo on the '08+ STI has a larger compressor housing and can produce more psi that's still efficient compared to the older STIs.

Also, you are wrong about LS1 comment. I've seen stalled, tire, and bolt ons LS1s hit high 11s on a perfect run. You can hit all over the 12s range with bolt ons only and a stall. It's almost too easy. The M6 cars require a bit more finesse to get out of the hole, but these can get well into the 12s as well, bolt ons only.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Yep, this is because the stock turbo on the '08+ STI has a larger compressor housing and can produce more psi that's still efficient compared to the older STIs.

Also, you are wrong about LS1 comment. I've seen stalled, tire, and bolt ons LS1s hit high 11s on a perfect run. You can hit all over the 12s range with bolt ons only and a stall. It's almost too easy. The M6 cars require a bit more finesse to get out of the hole, but these can get well into the 12s as well, bolt ons only.
    Which is why i said ls1 cars with bolt ons and NO drivetrain work, which is what a stall/built tranny is. If you wanna put a dog box tranny in a sti or evo you can launch on boost and shift without lifting and run consistent 11s

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information