Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    with the new fast and the furious movie out now I wouldnt doubt that you will see more of them on the street. The owner of the dealer where my buddy bought his says they can't keep these new SS's on the lot. They get one in and its usually gone within a few days.
    Yeah that is for sure. I remember after the first movie people were driving like idiots in stock hondas for at least six months... It might be what GM needs right now.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Yeah that is for sure. I remember after the first movie people were driving like idiots in stock hondas for at least six months... It might be what GM needs right now.
    I'd say with the problems GM has, the ss is just a bandaid over a gun shot wound.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I'd say with the problems GM has, the ss is just a bandaid over a gun shot wound.
    Oh yes, but now its got Obama behind it LOL

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Yeah. Sadly. I really think they are one of the better american car companies.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Yeah. Sadly. I really think they are one of the better american car companies.
    Some Auto experts are saying that the New Camaro should really help GM. They have a ton of pre orders in for them and alot of customers coming into the showroom to ask about them.

White
    01 SS Vert

I wouldn't mind if the fiancee got the ss has her next daily driver. I wouldn't mind jumping in it from time to time. I'll take my 12 second American muscle ride for the moment.

If she got one, I would drop maybe a grand at it, and leave it at that.....intake, tune, stock exhaust, maybe springs.

I love my modded camaro, but I also really like my unmodded cars too - keep it simple sometimes is just as nice. A stock 14 second flat daily driver and good gas mileage isn't something to laugh at. Do the newer models still have that silly wing? That's my only realy complaint on the old ones.

White
    09 G8 GT

What is "launch control?" Basically for no lift shift, im pretty sure the whole throttle system is computer controlled, in that it doesnt bang off redline when you keep the gas pinned while pushing the clutch and shifting, but what does this do for launching exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74 View Post
    What is "launch control?" Basically for no lift shift, im pretty sure the whole throttle system is computer controlled, in that it doesnt bang off redline when you keep the gas pinned while pushing the clutch and shifting, but what does this do for launching exactly?
    It regulates the power to the wheels. So essentially a monkey could turn the launch control on dump the clutch and the computer will regulate the cars traction off the line, providing the maximum power vs. traction ratio, which essentially produces the best launch. I personally dislike launch control, only because it takes out the skill involved in launching a car.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You can get a tune for those from gm to give it almost 300hp, and all under warranty.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Nice kill.

Those new SS Turbos are quick cars.

They are running 14.0's, which is exactly what 99-04 Mustang GT 5 speed's run in stock form. Sounds like you got the launch pretty good, hence the 4 car lead. From a roll it would have been a pure HP race, which would have been interesting for sure.
    They have run a 13.5 completely stock before.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You can get a tune for those from gm to give it almost 300hp, and all under warranty.
    I thought it was good for 40 HP and 60 more ft-lbs torque, or maybe that is reversed, and it is good for all turbo eco-tech engines. Like you said, a $650 tune from the dealer, still with a warranty...wish I could get that much of an improvement for the $$$.

It is. I used to have one. NEVER trapped over 100 stock. Best time was 14.09@99MPH.
    Mine never trapped less than 100 stock... You could miss a shift and still hit 98.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    Mine never trapped less than 100 stock... You could miss a shift and still hit 98.
    What was your best ET? Was your car completely stock? Mine still had the paper filter and everything. Mine must have just been a dog. My fastest trap speed was 100 MPH. It was a 1999 GT 5 speed

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    This is correct, I already talked him into ordering it lol!!!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    I didn't think they were that slow. I still think a New Edge GT is faster than a Cobalt SS Supercharged, and those trap at 98-100MPH, so GT should be faster than that.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    They have run a 13.5 completely stock before.
    And where did this happen?? Source??

Must have at least had drag radials.

And where did this happen?? Source??

Must have at least had drag radials.
    I've seen mid 13s out of them as well. Yes, the car needs drag radials.

All the cars mentioned here are about equal in performance. It will mostly come down to driver skill.

I haven't done a lot of research on the new Cobalt SS Turbos, but if you can get 300hp out of them with a mail in tune, then that says the car still has a lot to give with the factory turbo setup. Only downside I see is that the car is sitting on a FWD platform, which is going to to hurt the cars traction off the line, the more power it makes. Again, with the right tire setup and driver some of these drawbacks can be negated, but from a roll......

Just for reference, I've also seen low 13s out of GTs with bolt ons and 4.10s.... on street tires. Like I said, most of these cars performance capabilities on BPU power are about the same.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I didn't think they were that slow. I still think a New Edge GT is faster than a Cobalt SS Supercharged, and those trap at 98-100MPH, so GT should be faster than that.
    Mine was. It may just have been the air here in Florida is humid... We usually have a pretty shitty DA unless it is winter... and then most of the tracks are closed.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

That's why I mod my car, to stay away from embarrassment like this...damn quick 4-bangers lol

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    That's why I mod my car, to stay away from embarrassment like this...damn quick 4-bangers lol
    Well, some of them are quick.... most suck. Get someone who knows what their doing and they can make anything fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information