Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

321tq and 210hp, It was so rich it wouldnt rev past 5800rpm's lol

We got a new intercooler design, So Im gonna be working on building it these next few weeks.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Well we are going to finish the heads and intake this weekend on the lt1, Tonight I gotta modify the oil pan. Since we are using arp bolts now and straps on the mains the windage tray no longer fits so I gotta come up with a way to re-attatch it. Hopefully the motor will be back in next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    Well we are going to finish the heads and intake this weekend on the lt1, Tonight I gotta modify the oil pan. Since we are using arp bolts now and straps on the mains the windage tray no longer fits so I gotta come up with a way to re-attatch it. Hopefully the motor will be back in next weekend.
    I'm still undecided on cam choice. Grrr.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

So what kind of gas mileage are u seeing out of the Ls1 240?

So what kind of gas mileage are u seeing out of the Ls1 240?
    I have a heavy foot, and I didn't really build the car for gas mileage, but honestly it gets better than that damn KA that came in there stock.

I would say it's low 20mpg city, and close to 30mpg highway. I've never taken the car on a long highway trip, but I guarantee if I stay off the throttle in 6th gear it will get over 30mpg. I don't see why not the engine is still on stock cam and tuned.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Sweet, Im throwing some options around. I Will have the Rb ready for the dyno again in 2 weeks. If I dont make the numbers I want Im gonna pull it and Either build a 400 small block with a carb and turbo or swap in a Ls1 and possibly turbo. I would like to have the 6speed esp for drivin. But if I build the 400 I will go with a turbo 350. But I can build a Hell of a 400 block for the price of a ls1 drivetrane.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Sweet, Im throwing some options around. I Will have the Rb ready for the dyno again in 2 weeks. If I dont make the numbers I want Im gonna pull it and Either build a 400 small block with a carb and turbo or swap in a Ls1 and possibly turbo. I would like to have the 6speed esp for drivin. But if I build the 400 I will go with a turbo 350. But I can build a Hell of a 400 block for the price of a ls1 drivetrane.
    That would be nice, my buddy us selling his turbo 5.0 setup and building a twin turbo big block, he has the block just waiting to sell his turbo kit, engine, and tranny. Its going into a late 80s mustang notch 4cylinder. Carb is nice for track but not so good for gas mileage or running in multiple types of conditions

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    That would be nice, my buddy us selling his turbo 5.0 setup and building a twin turbo big block, he has the block just waiting to sell his turbo kit, engine, and tranny. Its going into a late 80s mustang notch 4cylinder. Carb is nice for track but not so good for gas mileage or running in multiple types of conditions
    Nice, I have seen a few VERY nice 5.0 turbo setups. They seem pretty stout.

When I say carb I meant Propane carb, Otherwise the Custom propane cooler I built As a intercooler would not function.

But Like I say I dunno what I will do yet Until I get to the dyno again. I mean the Motor is STRONG as Hell, It will flat out put it on the ground. But I am one who likes to change alot lol, I seem to never be happy with my combo's. Im always lookin for more. My RB will be limited to about 650rwhp, So if that wont satisfy me Ill build a 800-1400hp combo.

Arctic White, red/gray

Nice, I have seen a few VERY nice 5.0 turbo setups. They seem pretty stout.

When I say carb I meant Propane carb, Otherwise the Custom propane cooler I built As a intercooler would not function.

But Like I say I dunno what I will do yet Until I get to the dyno again. I mean the Motor is STRONG as Hell, It will flat out put it on the ground. But I am one who likes to change alot lol, I seem to never be happy with my combo's. Im always lookin for more. My RB will be limited to about 650rwhp, So if that wont satisfy me Ill build a 800-1400hp combo.
    Its a stout car but the only problem is 5.0 block likes to crack down the lifter galley around 600crank hp at high rpms. So hes limited to about 10psi right now and even that is pushing the block. So he said to himself why spend all that money on a custom 302 block when it would still be a somewhat small engine. He also has a 355 small block turbo ford fairmont and his dads 70 chevelle 496 big block sitting next to it. Its a fun garage to be at sometimes.

I always cream my pants a little when the guy who does there cages has his 2000 formula over, its a 454 big block twin turbo that put down 1600whp which he drives on the street sometimes. Along with his buddy who has the 600cubic inch thunderbird with the biggest supercharger procharger makes.

I have always wanted to work on a RB engine, just never knew anyone with one. All my 240 friends have sr20s except one with a fully built KA
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-06-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Lol, Nice powered cars ur running around. Kinda sounds like the guys I hang with. My Buddies 306 Stang put down 598@the wheels on a dynojet @10lbs of boost on a 60mm turbo, Stock crank, Stock Rods and forged Pistons. His car is one of the baddest STreet cars around me. It also is 5speed, He runss 6.60's at the track @ 115mph.

Im the only one who has a 6cyl, Personally I wouldnt build an Rb again Just cause There is not alof of info If you decide to go big power. But Just as a street driver its sweet as hell. U Just dont wanna make over 600hp b/c then its hard to drive with the turbo lag n stuff.

Arctic White, red/gray

Lol, Nice powered cars ur running around. Kinda sounds like the guys I hang with. My Buddies 306 Stang put down 598@the wheels on a dynojet @10lbs of boost on a 60mm turbo, Stock crank, Stock Rods and forged Pistons. His car is one of the baddest STreet cars around me. It also is 5speed, He runss 6.60's at the track @ 115mph.

Im the only one who has a 6cyl, Personally I wouldnt build an Rb again Just cause There is not alof of info If you decide to go big power. But Just as a street driver its sweet as hell. U Just dont wanna make over 600hp b/c then its hard to drive with the turbo lag n stuff.

Yeah we like power, more than alot of other car guys as im talking to them. They always say thats too much for me, im like 500whp thats not enough. My supra was the fastest vehicle in my garage until i put a hole in piston 3 and 5 and now the block is junk. Doing a 1jz swap soon hopefully.

The 2000 formula is a mid 7 car right now, but he is putting a carbon fiber body on and changing some things up. The thunderbird went a 8.2 but was detuned to 1200whp because its a stock suspension car and uses drag radials, it made 1732whp on its best tune.

5.0L turbo setups are mysteriously fast. N/A they're 13s-14s. Turbo they run 10s....

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    5.0L turbo setups are mysteriously fast. N/A they're 13s-14s. Turbo they run 10s....

Because 5.0 engines have always flowed like balls, forced induction makes them forces them to flow, pauls went a 12.8 @110mph before the turbo kit, with heads, FI cam, intake and all supporting mods and nitto 555s on back. Last time he was at the track it went a 13.3 @ 128mph with the same but now worn out nittos. He just bought some M/T drag radials so i hope that helps lol

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

The heads on the 5.0 iss the restrictive part. Gget a good head and intake combo it will do ok.

I hate Nitto and Bfg drs, I could never hook on either. I always done good on the m/t tires.

The heads on the 5.0 iss the restrictive part. Gget a good head and intake combo it will do ok.

I hate Nitto and Bfg drs, I could never hook on either. I always done good on the m/t tires.
    You'll love the Mickeys.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Well for the lt1 we put all of our specs in the computer last night Just to give us an idea of the power were pushin. It showed uss at 490lb tq @3500rpm but hp was around 412,. But at 4000rpm we started loosing hp, Got to looking and found out springs they sent us from Hot cam were not strong enough and also our stock pushrods were flexing way too much. We couldnt get the exhaust out of the head fast enough do to the .022 flex of the push rods. It was showing 120psi cyl pressure before the exhaust valve ever decided to open. So were ordering some beefy pushrods and some more valve springs. According to the computer that will be good for an extra 60hp were loosing on top end.

I dunno how in depth these guys get when building a Lt1, But thats a major difference as to why Ls1's make more power on top end. But we plan on hangin in there with this Lt1

Went with a TSP224r cam. I sold the MS4 cam. Installing next week.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Well boys the Lt1 is finally finished assembled and is being set in the car today. Hopefully we will hear some noise later.

Its gonna be PIG rich and prob wont hardley run until we can get it on the dyno and tuned.

Ill post some pics of the setup later tonight.

Well boys the Lt1 is finally finished assembled and is being set in the car today. Hopefully we will hear some noise later.

Its gonna be PIG rich and prob wont hardley run until we can get it on the dyno and tuned.

Ill post some pics of the setup later tonight.
    I switched my order to an MS3 cam at the last minute. It performs well... still getting it dialed in. The powerband is a lot different than the stock cam. The car pulls like a raped ape up top. I just haven't had the time to really put some time in for tuning. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the results. I'm pretty sure the car is good for 10s. Made decent pass at a full track day to a 11.0@126mph. Surprisingly, I didn't have the traction problems I was expecting. Launch could have been better since I bogged a bit, but the shifts were very good. It feels like there is a flat spot in the powerband mid range. I'm going to rework a new tune when I get the time, and dial this sucker in.

SR car still down.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

WOW sounds like ur makin good progress on the Ls1, You sure did get that cam in fast LOL, Thats also good numbers.

Well We had a Bad day all day. Seemed like Every bolt on the motor faught us.

The motor is in But with issues. Before we even attempted to start it we poured water in and it ran out the back of the motor as fast as we put it in.

I guess we left a plug out.

But then we started it and Ill be damn No oil pressure!!

So now we gotta pull the oil pan and see whats up with oil pump and why its not pumping!! These damn new parts seem to suck ass!!

Here is a few pics;

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information