Thread: SCCA mods

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

SCCA mods

I am looking to get into SCCA this summer with my 98 Z28. I want to start with some basic upgrades that will still keep me in the stock class. what is a good place to start?

Things i am considering:
    New Bushings
    Pro 5.0 shifter
    Skip shift adapter
    New tires

Any suggestions on these or other mods? Thanks

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28
    I am looking to get into SCCA this summer with my 98 Z28. I want to start with some basic upgrades that will still keep me in the stock class. what is a good place to start?

Things i am considering:
    New Bushings
    Pro 5.0 shifter
    Skip shift adapter
    New tires

Any suggestions on these or other mods? Thanks
    i would get tires, shocks and front sway bar... those are permitted in stock class, and if done right , you can have a great winning combo without spending too much $.
    deja vu, feeling.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Arctic White
    1998 Z28 ls1 m6

the expert on handling is Sam Stranos at Stranos autoparts. He races F bodies and is a champ. do a google search and give him a call he is great to work with.

what mods did you end up getting?

White red
    98 SS 17 Grand Sport

The stay in the stock class you have to use the same material bushing's as stock. I would go with Koni shocks, 35mm front sway bar, and Kuhmo 710 tires. To save weight you can remove the spare tire, jack, AC, fog lights, and run a small amd lightweight battery.

White red
    98 SS 17 Grand Sport

I almost forgot, get a custom alignment with as much negative camber the car will allow.

Arctic White
    1998 Z28 ls1 m6

I got the hotchkis springs which lowered the car 1 inch. Konis for all 4 corners. hollow 35mm front sway bar and hollow 22mm rear sway bar, adjustable panhard bar that has heim joints instead of bushings and an edlebrock torque arm for suspension. A k&n filter SLP lid and carbotech xp10 front brake pads. Many of these mods will prevent you from running in a stock class SCCA but it sure makes for a fun car to drive

White red
    98 SS 17 Grand Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mbraun
    I got the hotchkis springs which lowered the car 1 inch. Konis for all 4 corners. hollow 35mm front sway bar and hollow 22mm rear sway bar, adjustable panhard bar that has heim joints instead of bushings and an edlebrock torque arm for suspension. A k&n filter SLP lid and carbotech xp10 front brake pads. Many of these mods will prevent you from running in a stock class SCCA but it sure makes for a fun car to drive
    You would be an ESP car. Slap some Kuhmo 710's in a 315/35/17 at all 4 corners and you would have competative car in that class.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

that does sound like a sweet ride-to hell with the rules-haha

black
    98 Trans Am

most bang for the buck

Your most bang for the buck would be investing on tires (Kumos)
    I have been autoXing for 4 years in ESP and just recently got Kumos. Should have done it 4 years ago. I used to be 4-5 seconds off first place every month, no matter how hard I ran. Now with the tires I am right up there with the front runners. It is just amazing how much traction the 710's have.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

What Kind of shocks should i get to stay in the F stock class that would still be adjustable.
    Also, what change does replacing the front sway bar make?
    Thanks, Ray

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    What Kind of shocks should i get to stay in the F stock class that would still be adjustable.
    Also, what change does replacing the front sway bar make?
    Thanks, Ray
    Get the Koni SA or DA's. The DA's came on the 1LE cars so they allow Koni's in the F-Stock.

Besides Konis are the best shock availiable for our cars that are mass produced.

Our cars really like a big (35-6mm) front bar for handling. For some reason you can change the front bar in f-stock so the mods everyone listed should give you a very competitive car you just need to consentrate on the driver mod.

Get yourself as much seat time as you can!

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Thanks, i will look into those.
    What kind of bushings do you recomend? is there a package deal on the sway bar and bushings? I have also seen some hollow sway bars vs solid. whats better?

Thanks so much, i appreciate the help.

You cant change any bushings except for the ones on the front swaybar(this is if you want to stay in stock class). Just get a front swaybar(strano hollow or Suspension Techniques), get some Koni single adjustable shox, get an alignment and go have fun. This is pretty much all your gonna want to do if your just starting out and havent even begun gettin seat time. You could go out and buy an extra set of stock wheels if you want with some race tires(265/45-16 Kumho V710 or 275/45-16 Hoosier A6), but i think its better to get a season under your belt to learn some basics in car control first. If you got $$$$ to spare, go get the tires.

either way, you HAVE to consider seat time as the most important thing in gettin quicker. No way around this one. Seat time will make you faster than any of these mods

also go to www.frrax.com

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Thanks for the info and the site! i just finished signing up on there.
    the mods i have done are, new clutch, pro 5.0 shifter, k&n filter, and kumho 711 tire. i have been racing now for a whole season, i won a few times in the novice class and actually took home a few F Stock metals!
    the tires are good, and inexpensive so i dont worry about them much.

its my daily driver eventually i will suck it up and buy a second set of wheels and better tires.

this spring i will swap out the bushings and get some nice koni or bilstein shocks. (Which do you like better and why?) and this season will be spent learning how to drive better!

Thanks so much,
    Ray

Thread Information