Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

me vs. 99 turbo eclipse

took my car out of the garage from winter storage this week. I was hangin out with a few buddies on a 60 degree day when we decided to go for a cruise. my friend that owns the eclipse wanted to ride with me. My other friend that owns an 11 sec. trans am wanted to drive his car. the eclipse has light bolt ons, exhaust, intake, hard intercooler piping along with running like 17lbs of boost. we lined up and went from ~50 -120 ish before i let out. I even let him get the jump trying to make it an interesting race. anyone that owns a 6 speed car knows that 50mph in second gear is deadly. once in third i put at least 2 cars on it, by the time i shifted 4th i don't even know. overall i kinda feel bad and wasnt even going to post, because the owner of the car was in my passenger seat lol. overall i was impressed because i too only have light bolt ons. also ive always thought that car feels like it goes pretty good when your riding in it...

of course since the owner was in my car i started flaming him right away, asking him if he forgot to turn his turbo on before we left.... lol
    Last edited by km346; 03-22-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

DSM's put up a better fight.

silver
    2002 ws6

lol @ eclipse

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by ezwip View Post
    DSM's put up a better fight.
    It is a dsm...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

My friend has a turbo eclipse, gonna run it at 20PSI not stock turbo with all the other bolt ons. At 18 PSI he was keeping up with my 310 RWHP M3 6speed, which i was amazed, so at higher boost better BOV and tuned properly he will do alot better. Should easily pull on my Z without issues but it costs big time money to get to were he is at. So far has spent 16,000 in mods and the car is still not fully done.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    My friend has a turbo eclipse, gonna run it at 20PSI not stock turbo with all the other bolt ons. At 18 PSI he was keeping up with my 310 RWHP M3 6speed, which i was amazed, so at higher boost better BOV and tuned properly he will do alot better. Should easily pull on my Z without issues but it costs big time money to get to were he is at. So far has spent 16,000 in mods and the car is still not fully done.
    wow that much money? parts for those cars are usually dirt cheap... just like any forged motor, it is impressive how much boost the stock bottom end holds. from what ive seen the factory headgaskets dont like more then 20psi though. the 4g63 motor can make good power no doubt about that...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

He said he had a Evo turbo on his car, he had rebuilt the motor and has done tone of other stuff. Like rebuilt tranny and so on, im not too sure what his turbo is ill ask him again to get specifics but he has spent a ton of money on that car. Something usually always fails, doesnt boost right, doesnt hold the boost, then looses boost in certain gears, lol. Always something is up, but when it ran good it gave my M3 a good run. He should be done with his car in about a month. He is also getting a seperate tune for 100 octane so that is gonna be interesting but ill most likely race him either way. I dont mind losing to him, his a good friend.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

by the way the rebuild was with stock parts nothing special to handle more boost

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

He said he had a Evo turbo on his car, he had rebuilt the motor and has done tone of other stuff. Like rebuilt tranny and so on, im not too sure what his turbo is ill ask him again to get specifics but he has spent a ton of money on that car. Something usually always fails, doesnt boost right, doesnt hold the boost, then looses boost in certain gears, lol. Always something is up, but when it ran good it gave my M3 a good run. He should be done with his car in about a month. He is also getting a seperate tune for 100 octane so that is gonna be interesting but ill most likely race him either way. I dont mind losing to him, his a good friend.
    It is probably an evoIII 16g... its a factory mitsu turbo that a lot of DSM guys run. you can also buy them new for under 600 bucks lol. I know the feeling though, me and my buddies are constantly racing eachother... it gives us motivation to buy parts.

Those cars are fun to reel in. They usually rip you out of the hole with the AWD, then you activate the tractor beam reel them in.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Funny thing is ive been driving for many years and have been through many races and never went up against a AWD car from take off, i guess im lucky so far lol. Well the guys eclipse is the GST model, suprising enough he is not into handling at all just likes straightline speed. His car wouldnt be able to handle corners too well it has a good amount of wheelspin 1st-3rd and foget going WOT coming off a corner, unless your carrying a good amount of speed and your in 4th, or off full boost in 3rd.

Funny thing is ive been driving for many years and have been through many races and never went up against a AWD car from take off, i guess im lucky so far lol. Well the guys eclipse is the GST model, suprising enough he is not into handling at all just likes straightline speed. His car wouldnt be able to handle corners too well it has a good amount of wheelspin 1st-3rd and foget going WOT coming off a corner, unless your carrying a good amount of speed and your in 4th, or off full boost in 3rd.
    Run a nicely modified EVO, STI, or an old Talon/Eclipse. If they know what they're doing they can pull sub 1.8 60' on the street with street tires. The ones that I've seen that can drive rip out of the hole, but powering 4 wheels takes it's toll on the top end, which is where the 2 wheel drive has the advantage.

That's why I said it's fun shooting your tractor beam after the 60'.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

haha, nice kill.

i usually try not to bash on anyone bad no matter how bad i beat them IF i do, because i have respect for their car no matter if its fast or not because they like it.. unless its someone talkin major crap (usually mustang guys)
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Thread Information