Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nice race man. They are very fun and solid all around performance cars that do many things well. They are worth every bit of their 32K price tag(Ask any owner) and are competitive with many cars costng twice as much. WITH GOOD LAUNCHES they repeatedly hit 0-60 in mid 4's, run low 13s with 101 to 103 traps-and you don't need to be a professional to get those times on the street. There are many STI owners that know how to launch, so the next time it could be different. LS1's are great motors, so I wouldn't expect him to beat you from a roll stock for stock as they trap a little higher than low 100 mph.
    Last edited by garrettjj; 01-29-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    95 Supra TT 420rwhp
    05 STI Stage2

380awhp/tq
    EVO 8

With less then $2000, an EVO can run low 12's (either at a prepped track or on the street with regular stock tires) without a sweat. That in my book is a pretty fast street car. I love LS1's but getting it to the ground in the streets, is another story. I've owned LS1's and still miss the rumble of that V8. Nothing will replace that sound. I'm in high altitude land so LS1's aren't much of a match. If I was at sea level, boy, you bet LS1 all the way.

Raced Guy
    I have owned an evo and now own a c5. My 03 evo stock went 13.4@104 and with an intake, flash, boost controller and exhaust did 12.4@110 and did 300awhp and 318ftlbs on a mustang dyno. The evos and sti's are not cars to take lightly, its just most of the owners we all run into are terrible drivers and could take a 9 second car and make it run 12's. So just a few bolt ons and a good driver and there are very competitive.

TBA
    67' rs/ss

I own an 04' STi . Stock it has very little turbo lag and is a monster off the line. With a good driver they can yield 13.0-13.2 1/4's stock. With a catless turbo-back it gains roughly 20-25hp alone. MBC don't work well with this car, EM is the way to go .Ecutek,UTEC,Accessport and a tune is a good way to raise boost levels, 18-22psi safely. The stock turbo is only good for about 350whp but by then your running low 12's & high 11's.

I love my STi, I'm glad I got it. It's fun and reliable for just being a 4 cylinder. I look at it this way... For a rally car that they made streetable, it doesn't do bad at all, just as fast or even faster than a lot of cars on the road and can go in the dirt or the twisties.

Its true that the evo can put down big numbers cheaper and easier, but IMO theres a reliablity issue from the start with the evo.

bright red
    1993 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    2006 EVO 9 makes around 275awhp/tq stock on a dynojet dyno.
    arent they well under 300 @ the crank still? how can they make the same at the wheels I think im gonna pull the B.S. card on this statement, they are both good cars but this thread has gone way off topic anyway good kill!!!

380awhp/tq
    EVO 8

Quote Originally Posted by jAgZ28
    arent they well under 300 @ the crank still? how can they make the same at the wheels I think im gonna pull the B.S. card on this statement, they are both good cars but this thread has gone way off topic anyway good kill!!!
    It's called Mitsubishi being underrated. Before you call bs, search the EVOM site first. There are tons of EVO 9's dynoing 270+awhp (dynojet) stock.

380awhp/tq
    EVO 8

Quote Originally Posted by Daz-E
    Its true that the evo can put down big numbers cheaper and easier, but IMO theres a reliablity issue from the start with the evo.
    Please don't spread lies or unknown opinions. The EVO is very reliable.

TBA
    67' rs/ss

If you look at my post it said IMO-IN MY OPINION, I'm entitled to what I think aren't I ? Don't get me wrong , I like the EVO, its just not for me for that reason, thats the way I feel . So now my opinion is known .

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

a magazine i have said the STI did 13.3@103 or 104

I did 13.3@104 in my 2000 Z28

mystic teal
    '98 z28, M6

they are a good car imo. i have a friend who had just bought a '04 STi that had a cold air intake and some kind of "tuning" and we decided to go run them a few times. my car is a bone stock '98 with the free cold air mod. we had about three or four 0-100 or so races and a few from a roll. from a dead stop he would constantly pull out to just where my front bumper was even with his back one. right from the launch. hed run right with me almost every time to about 50-60, then id start pulling. by 60-70 id have my rear bumper at his front bumper and by 100 youd have well over a couple car lengths. after running him a few times i got to drive it and found that when im shifting from 2nd to 3rd, he was close to shifting from 3rd to 4th. his car would hit fourth and slow down considerably. i think a lot of the acceleration these cars have is due to gearing and awd out of the hole. it was a blast to drive. the 1-2-3 at full throttle just made you grin. it was fast. it would still pull hard to 140, i took it there. its stable, but the '98 feels much faster at speed 100+. wouldnt want to run against one at an autocross track without stiffening up the camaro, but on a full size track or the street- ill run it every time

You whooped his ass that bad in a z28? i dont wanna know what it would look like in a ss

Quote Originally Posted by jomo
    A car that run's low 13's stock has my respect.
    A car that can run on a race track with much more expensive car's is a great car.

There is no argument here one hell of a machine.

Can anyone here name a stock production car for the same price that is as all rounded as the EVO.
    The 2003-04 cobras, lacking AWD but they do have IRS and DO run 12.4s in the best of the best driver scenrios. And in all fairness, i will always fear a KB cobra then any hotted up bigger turbo Mitsu, not that im sayin id be fear less to the mitsu.

mystic teal
    '98 z28, M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
    You whooped his ass that bad in a z28? i dont wanna know what it would look like in a ss

well, in all fairness, he had the car for two weeks, and i had mine for 8 months or so at the time. that, and i think i run my car harder than most people. thank shifter carts and a run it to hell mentality.
    Last edited by nine-eight; 02-19-2006 at 10:29 AM.

2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

Cool

The 2003-04 cobras, lacking AWD but they do have IRS and DO run 12.4s in the best of the best driver scenrios. And in all fairness, i will always fear a KB cobra then any hotted up bigger turbo Mitsu, not that im sayin id be fear less to the mitsu.

Hot Rod Magazine January 2004 had a shootout with a STI and SC Cobra and they ran them quarter mile Mustang 13.30 at 109mph 60ft 2.25 (altitude corrected) STI 13.29 at 100.5mph 60ft 1.8 (altitude corrected).
    Road course 1:22.7 Mustang STI 1:21.0. Streets of Willow road course.

They also said in a street race that its traction disadvantage it would probably lose too. I think that after the quater mile that the Mustang would just run it down or on a roll on that it would get STI too.

I have never seen or anyone talk about a stock 2003-2004 Cobra run 12.4 with stock radials.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Dude a Z and a SS are the same frickin car....same motor..drivetrain...everything. All the SS has is some suspension tweaks, an appearance package and a slightly less restrictive exhaust. I get the same shit at work.."too bad it's not as fast as a SS"....damn people and their lack of knowledge and/or willingness to learn. I'm not trying to bust your balls...just lettin ya know

TBA
    67' rs/ss

I ran against a 98+ Z28 from a roll coming out the west gate at Edwards AFB in Lancaster. We were even until I hit 3rd, I started to pull slightly and he just shut it down. I think he would have had me at around 100mph or so.

I have beat LT1's before with no problem ! My sister-in-laws ex-boyfriend(96 Corvette w/auto) and 2 other LT1 Z28's(1 had some mods). I got my booty handed to me by a modded 2000 SS. I was wooping his buddies(2 LT1's) and he pulled up next to me(while this was in process)and was jumping his car as to say when are going to go, but already was, I was like . I'm stock, but even if I had the typical modds he would spanked me !
    Last edited by Daz-E; 02-20-2006 at 11:10 AM.

The guy said:
    "name a stock production car for the same price that is as all rounded as the EVO"

The 2003-2004 Cobras are FAR from well-rounded. EVO kills it in handling, cornering, braking, gas mileage. Not to mention, it has 4 doors and AWD for all types of weather conditions.

Cobras have a nice power advantage (and incredible power potential). I dont see that being a contender against the EVO in a "well-rounded" category do you?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Dude a Z and a SS are the same frickin car....same motor..drivetrain...everything. All the SS has is some suspension tweaks, an appearance package and a slightly less restrictive exhaust. I get the same shit at work.."too bad it's not as fast as a SS"....damn people and their lack of knowledge and/or willingness to learn. I'm not trying to bust your balls...just lettin ya know
    Right after I got my car a guy I went to school with told me I was a dumbass for gettin the Z instead of the SS. After I explained the diff. he still didn't get it.

i ran an STI a couple of months back...got on the on ramp behind me, floored it, tried to do a fly by... i downshifted, stopped his roll and killed him bad. next we started from a slower roll..i went from 2nd. i dunno what he gear he started in but it was the same result..he lost badly

CamaroKillZ28
    I have never seen an evo pull off 12s at a track, maybe thats just the people around here driving it, but i have heard of 1 ya 1 evo here in bakersfield that runs in the 12s. Ive seen an evo with exhaust and boost controller get spanked by a stock a4 ls1. sorry i just do not like import drivers (id have an evo for my dd, but thats it)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information