Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jegs catback

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

jegs catback

anyone one heard anything about jegs catback exhaust or running it?

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

Found this on youtube

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

yea i came across that too. it sounds real mean, and thats on a stock car. i've got a slp and it sounds alot quieter than that. i'm surprised how mean the jegs sounds. im debatin on gettin it. the price of 250 is killer

Red
    2001 Trash Can

can u post a link because I think the only exhaust Jegs sells/makes for f-body's is for the 1st and second Gens

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30419/10002/-1
    im thinkin bout gettin one. especially if it opens up the sound. my slp is quiet as hell

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30419/10002/-1
    im thinkin bout gettin one. especially if it opens up the sound. my slp is quiet as hell
    Damn, that's pretty cheap! This must be pretty new cause as of a few months ago they didn't make a catback for 4th gen f-bodies. I'd buy it if I were looking into a catback!

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Damn, that's pretty cheap! This must be pretty new cause as of a few months ago they didn't make a catback for 4th gen f-bodies. I'd buy it if I were looking into a catback!
    thats the thing i am. and with headers y and a cat delete im thinkin it'd sound pretty mean

Red
    2001 Trash Can

thats the thing i am. and with headers y and a cat delete im thinkin it'd sound pretty mean
    What are your mods already? Do you have LT's? If you're looking for a real budget exhaust system go with LT's off of ebay (like $240 shipped to your door and you'll either have to modify or just cut off the air and egr fittings) either a pacesetter y-pipe or have one made custom, and jegs exhaust and you'd be looking at around $700 for lt's back + tips and whatever labor may be if you decide to have it installed professionally and/or have the y-pipe custom made.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

exhaust wise i only have a slp catback i've been tryin to get rid of. i dont know if i have an aftermarket y but im switchin it anyways. i'm doin the ebay headers which are 240 like you said, i found an edelbrock y pipe for 110 and the jegs catback which'll put me at about 625. i'm installin em on my own, i don't trust mechanics too much and i can do it. so i agree thats a real budget exhaust, i can always upgrade later but for a few years it'd be perfect

Red
    2001 Trash Can

exhaust wise i only have a slp catback i've been tryin to get rid of. i dont know if i have an aftermarket y but im switchin it anyways. i'm doin the ebay headers which are 240 like you said, i found an edelbrock y pipe for 110 and the jegs catback which'll put me at about 625. i'm installin em on my own, i don't trust mechanics too much and i can do it. so i agree thats a real budget exhaust, i can always upgrade later but for a few years it'd be perfect
    the only thing you may have problems with is everything fitting correctly which would require you to possibly have the need for some custom fab

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

yeah, thats the only thing im worried about, im gonna buy some brackets to connect some of it. hopefully i can get it all to fit good. the edelbrock y pipe and ebay headers are both slip fits so im hopin they work together, and the jegs catback and edelbrock im sure i can get to fit together. i havent installed an exhaust but my friend and i are gettin another friends air compressor and takin a day to do it. heres to hopin this works good, im stoked about how much its actually gonna cost. and im especially stoked about the price of the jegs catback and the youtube clip cause i think it sounds mean as hell for the price

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

from the looks of it i just checked em all and it should be good. im gettin my cats gutted and i don't know how they're going to connect to the headers and y good but from the looks if i had to delete em i could. the headers have a 3' collector and the edelbrock y has a 3 1/2 slip fit connection which should work well together. the cats i can always deal with when the situation comes up. both the edelbrock y where it connects to the intermediate pipe on the exhaust are 3' tubes i can use a bracket and i think it should hold it together good

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Dude, you're stock cats' WILL NOT FIT!!!! they are like 2 1/4"!!! If you absolutely need cats get aftermarket high flows ( I had to get them for inspection and my exhaust guy used Thunderbolt brand cats). Either budget them in or plan to do without them.

Also, as I stated the air and EGR fitting on the ebay headers will not work with the air pump or the egr valve and will have to be modified or removed (I had them welded closed). If you need any more details or pics on them, PM me and I will try and help you out as best I can!

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

i was plannin on usin aftermarket cats for emissions and inspection, thats kinda why i thought it'd all fit good with or without as long as it doesn't shift the exhaust back half a foot. its not an ory so it should fit with cats fine. i was actually lookin into universal magnaflow cats off ebay too. i'll check into thunderbolts though. i might not run em after it passes both anyways. might just do a yearly cat install and removal. haven't thought about it, and im still decidin. but yea i honestly forgot bout the air and egrs but its no biggie i have a friends dad who wouldnt mind weldin the air and egr valve closed or im sure i could somehow mod it to be shut. just makin sure so i know, but 02 ta's didn't have them only the earlier ls1's right? thanks for all the info, i'll probably pm you closer to me gettin them
    Last edited by BirdCountry02; 03-14-2009 at 08:17 PM.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I've heard you can run without cats and get a computer mod that tells the computer not to run the cat test. it will not show a fail if it doesn't run the test.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

yeah i know. i gettin a tune but the thing is it wont pass a visual inspection without cats on, and it also won't pass emissions without them on

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

yeah i know. i gettin a tune but the thing is it wont pass a visual inspection without cats on, and it also won't pass emissions without them on
    The visual is hard to get around but many of the inspecters ive had dont look. They just watch the test screen. The test will not show a fail if your computer doesnt run the test on the cats. It will just see the other sensors and report everything passes.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

really? cause i thought that emissions they hook up pipes to the exhaust tips and see if the exhaust runs enough to pass. if all it does is run a test with the systems computer and o2 sensors that'd be even better. and im debatin puttin em on cause i go to a small mechanic shop for that stuff where my families always gone so i dont think they'd fail me. i have a 14% window tint and they passed it

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

mine passed even with the tip hook up. I think you will be fine at your small shop.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

You only need to use the fron 02 sensors, get the rears tuned out. Also, you'll need to have your air and egr provisions tuned out if you delete them. You may need cats if they hook up a sniffer....

Thread Information