Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Took down a new WRX STI

Cruising around in Fort Walton Beach, I was on a highway when a newish WRX STI was cruising right in front of me. As far as I know, his car was stock. My '97 M6 C5 is stock down to the paper filter. I pulled into the opposite lane and at about 55mph, I dropped into 2nd gear. I goosed it a couple of times, but it seemed like he wasn't going to play. Then, as I'm shifting back into 6th, he comes screaming by me, and I tried to play catch-up. It wasn't worth it. He had a jump and a considerably higher speed, and through 3rd gear he just kept pulling away. We came up on some traffic that I wasn't willing to race through, so I slowed and he did too.

We moved onto another highway that didn't have any traffic and this time I wasn't going to give him the jump. I dropped to about 45 and went back into 2nd. He lined up about a half car length back and dropped gears, too. For some reason he just paced me with his nose at my driver's door. I waited and he didn't do anything. So, I nailed the throttle and he was very quickly on the throttle too. I'd guess he hit it about a half second after I did. So basically, I got the hit and half a car length from 45. This time, I went well into 4th and well into triple digit speeds. He stayed with me through second and most of 3rd, but by the top of forth, I had about 2-3 cars, and by the middle of forth I had about 5 lengths. So I let up.

The 3rd time we went at it, we got on it at almost the exact same time. This time the results were pretty much the same as in the second race. At the end of 3rd and into 4th, I really started pulling away from him.

With that race I was satisfied, and he seemed to be, too. We both went our separate ways.

Chris

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

nice... I hate it when people try to snipe you it's so retarded.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Cant stand it when someone goes WOT and blows by you when your just cruising or start really late, then they go tell there friends they smoked a camaro or vette, lol. Good kill, considering your stok and much much older car the LS1 did it again.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Nice kill. Watch out once there modded ones though.

Friend of mine went 12.1@116 with a downpipe, catback, and 4psi more boost.

Any plans for the C5 or just a daily cruiser?

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Just a daily cruiser, Super. I spend all my money on the mustang.

Chris

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

when some punk in a ricer beats him there will be mods to the vette

I had a guy in a chrysler 300 ( not the new square ones the older one) with a 6 banger do that... guy was in his 50's had a friend of mine in the car and drove insane to catch up to me after i passed him for doing 40 in a 55... what a moron.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I was beaten a couple years ago by an Evo. Seriously, I can't afford two money pits. The vette is my econo car. $300/ 6 month insurance (full coverage), and 30+ highway mpg.

Chris

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Nice kill. Watch out once there modded ones though.

Friend of mine went 12.1@116 with a downpipe, catback, and 4psi more boost.

Any plans for the C5 or just a daily cruiser?
    So his car gained a full 1.5 seconds and 16MPH in the 1/4 mile from 4PSI of boost and a better exhaust??

I find that VERY hard to believe, especially since my friend has an STI and with a downpipe and tune (with increased boost) he's still only at around 270WHP.

Obviously something isn't right with your friend's mod list...

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Good kill, I look forward to running one

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    So his car gained a full 1.5 seconds and 16MPH in the 1/4 mile from 4PSI of boost and a better exhaust??

I find that VERY hard to believe, especially since my friend has an STI and with a downpipe and tune (with increased boost) he's still only at around 270WHP.

Obviously something isn't right with your friend's mod list...
    http://www.dragtimes.com

Go indulge yourself. There are many many STIs running in the mid to low 12s with bolt ons and boost up. Unlike most ricer burners, these cars can get out of the hole if launched properly. I don't understand why you find this hard to believe. STIs can get into the 11s with stock turbo, as well as EVOs.

He ran a full catback, downpipe, 18.5psi of boost, 100 octane, with a tune. I saw the car, first hand, run 12.1@116. Stock clutch, stock tires, 6000 miles on the car.

But, doesn't matter what I say, I could never convince you otherwise, because it's Wesmanimpossible.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Is Ft. Walton beach still owned by Cash?

Edit: Wesmanimpossible could quite possibly be a word I use a lot on this forums.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Nice kill. With a 30 MPG driver, no less. Wonder what kind of MPG those (near) stock STIs and Evos get.

And yeah, Wesmanimpossible, LOL.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

With bolt ons, cams and a tune (trapping 110ish) my evo was getting like........24mpg? Nothing to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    With bolt ons, cams and a tune (trapping 110ish) my evo was getting like........24mpg? Nothing to write home about.
    Yeah that AWD system really saps the gas mileage on those cars. I think both are rated at around 20mpg city. Not great.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

If you get a tune it bumps it up to like 24mpg but yeah 21ish stock I believe my evo was.

If you get a tune it bumps it up to like 24mpg but yeah 21ish stock I believe my evo was.
    I think that's Wesmanimpossible.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Not bad for a car that can trap 110ish, eh? I've trapped in the high 109s, I'm getting 26-28.4 highway MPG currently. Something about that 1550 RPM @ 70 MPH helps! No tune yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Not bad for a car that can trap 110ish, eh? I've trapped in the high 109s, I'm getting 26-28.4 highway MPG currently. Something about that 1550 RPM @ 70 MPH helps! No tune yet....
    Eight cylinders have the torque so they don't have to try as hard to get moving. That along with the rediculous 6th overdrive is going to net you some good mileage. My LS1 car gets better gas mileage than my 4 cylinder Sentra.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

My mustang gets shitty gas mileage too. I'm bad for the environment. On the big turbo setup I was getting great gas mileage because the car is more reluctant to get into boost thus keeping it in closed loop more.

black
    98transam

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Cant stand it when someone goes WOT and blows by you when your just cruising or start really late, then they go tell there friends they smoked a camaro or vette, lol. Good kill, considering your stok and much much older car the LS1 did it again.
    i did this to my friend in in an 96 aurora 4.0 32valve and him in his 02 z28..flew by him at 115 while he was arround 80 tried to catch up and didnt, then my friend that was whit him went arround telling everyone how a 96 aurora beat an 02z28.,
    Last edited by 98ta_ra; 02-17-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Thread Information