Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 01 Z28 Vs G37

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Nice kill -- it's amazing what a set of 4.10's will do for you when playing around on the highway!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Thats true, i actually thought it would be the other way around and not pull well on the highway. The 2nd gear roll i had to have traction control on even boggin it would spin its tires once i got up in the revs. The highway runs i was extremely shocked and so was he as to how well it pulled i was expecting him with about 280-290 rwhp to be able to stay up and by the time i hit top of 4th i would have only beat him by 2 but i was way off. Usually his car stock pulls about 280rwhp, so i take it i should be about 310+ but will see ill have to put it on the dyno to know for sure maybe im lower and the gears really made a huge difference.

Sweet !

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

im glad you shut his mouth. I miss my Z right now, why cant winter just be over with!!!!!!! Im stuck drivin my GS-t eclipse which is fun but its no LS1!!!!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

well hopefully i can end up racing one of my friends who has a GST eclipse, but his is hella modded and i dont think ill stand a chance with him. By the time he is done he will be boosting 22psi, ofcourse not stock turbo but stock motor and all the other bolt ons he has. They are fun cars to drive but from what i hear especially from him hard to mod, dont worry winter will hopefully be over soon and youll start beating on other cars.

Black
    99 Formula

Always feels good to say "I told you so" Congrats on the W.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

^ thanks, cuzimoto. I think im gonna wait for him to do a tune and remove his cats. Ill run him again after those 2 mods.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

A friend of mine has a G37 and he wants to race eventually.

Glad you could show me what im up against. Not a whole lot

I know the 4.10s make a huge difference but I should be ok.

What are your other mods besides the gears?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

You should be good still without gears, my other mods are SLP Lid, K&N, Smooth Bellow, Throttle body ported, TB bypass, 160 Thermo, LSx Tune, No cats, Exhuast cut out, Hooker Muffler and 4.10 gears. I think im about 310rwhp maybe less but i gotta dyno it this weekend and see what happens.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    the race went down tonight, we raced from 3rd gear till the top of my 4th which i dont know exactly what mph it ended only taking a guess with 4.10's and 6speed car about 118-120mph started from about 55mph. The race was bad for the G37 from the get go, i had 2 1/2 cars in 3 gear and at the end i had 5 1/2 to 6 cars and was pulling hard. I was absolutly shocked as to how quick i was pulling cars, we repeated the same race 6 times and the same result give or take a car towards the end. His car would shift super fast and smooth i was very gentle going into 4th gear. I tried to video it but it was a disaster hitting the rev limiter and trying to shift with my right hand and video the race.
    Good run. I smoked one of those very very badly last week in my TA. From a dig at the on ramp I put about 8 cars on him to 100. He refused to roll down his window and talk to me when we got off the interstate(I wanted to see what kind of exhaust he had). He initiated the race. I was minding my own business when I see this black car fly by me and start Revving to like 7K when I got next to him at the light right before the interstate. I have a Cam with full bolt ons and gears/stall. I spun almost all the way through 1st... They are definitely respectable cars though. I would like to run one in my GTO
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 02-11-2009 at 09:43 PM.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

well hopefully i can end up racing one of my friends who has a GST eclipse, but his is hella modded and i dont think ill stand a chance with him. By the time he is done he will be boosting 22psi, ofcourse not stock turbo but stock motor and all the other bolt ons he has. They are fun cars to drive but from what i hear especially from him hard to mod, dont worry winter will hopefully be over soon and youll start beating on other cars.
    Yea my Car has a 16G swap with a HAHN racecraft front mount and I run anywhere from 15-22psi. Its pretty freakin nasty in 3rd gear at 40 mph lol. In no way am I a "ricer" but I will say I do love drivng this car.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

well after getting back from the dyno now i know why i pulled on the G37 so bad, the guy at the dyno put my dyno graph with a G37 Dyno graph the G37 with exhuast and intake and it pulled 265rwhp compared to my 342rwhp uncorrected. I was expecting those cars to pull higher rwhp numbers but i was off. Either way i posted my dyno numbers and graph in the general section.

2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

Good job, I like how he talks about catching up to you top end to funny.

There is no way that a G37 can pull a M5 V8 400hp or M5 V10 500hp or even a stock LS1 unless he is heavily modded.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Wtf are you sure it was a G37? They are suppose to be rated at 330HP at the crank. That should put them at least like 285-290 at the wheels stock.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Positive and it was a friend of mine, you can call up the guy at the dyno to comfirm what G37's put down to the wheels SR MotorCars his name is Steve Rodgers and number is 310-516-1003, ohh and the 265 rwhp was uncorrected for the G37 corrected would be lower is what he said. I also have a side by side comparison of my dyno graph with a G37 that he gave me so i can show to my friend and this G37 is stock baseline, he said the auto's usually pull about 10-12rwhp less. If it were corrected numbers it would more likely be about 258rwhp for an auto and about 10-12 rwhp more for a manual. Also like to add that him being at 258rwhp stock with exhuast and intake he would be about 270rwhp. The amount of cars i pulled on him was suprising but after getting my car back from the dyno i know why he got pulled on. I still do like the look of the G37 and its an excellent daily driver with good amount of power, i actually thought the best i could do with him was keep up.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 02-16-2009 at 08:41 AM.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Wtf are you sure it was a G37? They are suppose to be rated at 330HP at the crank. That should put them at least like 285-290 at the wheels stock.
    Remember those cars have independent rear suspension and that will soak up some rwhp

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

^^^Very true so the percentage you use to get rwhp number is a bit higher and good point.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    no chance for him against the beemers or your car. you are closer to 330rwp than he is to 330 flywheelhp. with your m6 and being the 01 and all. it would be closer if you had an a4 with no tranny upgrades. weight is in your favor and torque will be what wins the race for you due to the fact that he more than likely has nowhere near as solid of a torque curve that an lsx has, being a 6 cylinder and all.
    lol like i said above. he will need a nice chunk of change to start playing with sports cars. but honestly im not big on the luxury cars playing with sports cars. its just too much time and money. but again like i said it was torque that won that race. that is what most people dont understand. torque is what moves the car and hp is how fast it will go(top end), that being the best way to generalize it. show the torque numbers you guys had and see how far the real difference between the cars. i am more than sure that the difference is quite i bit bigger than your hp gap.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

its a good thing you said that i havent gotten into torque, stock G37 RWTQ is 215.30 UNCORRECTED for an automatic and mine was 349.12 CORRECTED. Im sure the auto i raced was a bit higher due to exhuast and intake mods he had but he wouldnt be any higher then 225rwtq if that. If i do the math 225rwtq-349.12 its a difference of 124.12rwtq difference.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 02-16-2009 at 02:11 PM.

white
    2000 Z28

its a good thing you said that i havent gotten into torque, stock G37 RWTQ is 215.30 UNCORRECTED for an automatic and mine was 349.12 CORRECTED. Im sure the auto i raced was a bit higher due to exhuast and intake mods he had but he wouldnt be any higher then 225rwtq if that. If i do the math 225rwtq-349.12 its a difference of 124.12rwtq difference.
    the wonderful torque of a v6 vs an ls1 lol. that is the true gap of your two cars. the only other factor was weight but the tq gap was so big that it made no difference. remember tq moves the car. alot of people go for hp numbers alone but with my build i want to try and do some research to keep my tq numbers on par with my hp numbers or higher if i can do so. pit 2 of the same car with similar hp and one having a better tq curve i would take the one with the tq curve all day long. plus it is what makes these cars so fun

Thread Information