Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2002 wrx?

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Don't you think I get ragged on enuff man lol.
    lol it happens, here lately it really seems like the kill forum is dominated by non-fbod cars. no offense to anyone on here w/o a f bod.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I enjoy being able to beat on it nonstop, but since the motor is pretty much stock, it takes the punishment and goes fast, since it's in a light chassis. One of the best things about this motor is the powerband. It has great powerband, pretty much all of the RPMs are useful, where as my turbo car I have to wait a bit for boost to kick in, then hold on or hold the car straight. The LS1 is easy mode, and because I don't have to try that hard to drive the car fast, I can do more thrashing with the car and it becomes more fun to drive. Even with a bolt ons LS1, it picks up and goes like the car weighs nothing. I've raced LS1 F-bodies with similar mods and power output as my LS1 240 and destroyed them. I didn't think weight alone would account for such a drastic difference, but apparently I can trap 118mph in the 1/4 as opposed to 110mph in an F-body with similar mods.
    yea that weight is a big factor. the say every 100lbs off is a tenth off your 1/4 mile. just wait till you do some serious motor mods to the ls1

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Hrmm, I have first hand experience as well. Since I had a friend that owned a 2002 WRX Wagon, and now owns an 2009 STI Wagon.

His 2002 WRX ran in the 14s stock. With bolt ons and a bit more boost (Stage 1), it ran in the low 13s. So you're saying a second off your quarter mile time isn't an improvement and not noticeable? I sure as hell noticed the difference in that car.

He is running low 13s stock in his 2009 STI.
    I don't know what my friend's '07 runs stock, he hasn't had it to the track. I've rode in/driven it plenty of times though, and its pretty damn slow. Feels like a 15.0 second car. My friends 94 Mustang GT actually feels faster, then again they both trap about the same.

My friend had the Cobb Stage 2 programmer only. No other mods, just the programmer itself for $600. It was supposed to give it like 25HP, but I didn't really notice any difference.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Wesman if it were the fastest car in the world you'd find an issue with it because it's not an LS1.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I don't know what my friend's '07 runs stock, he hasn't had it to the track. I've rode in/driven it plenty of times though, and its pretty damn slow. Feels like a 15.0 second car. My friends 94 Mustang GT actually feels faster, then again they both trap about the same.

My friend had the Cobb Stage 2 programmer only. No other mods, just the programmer itself for $600. It was supposed to give it like 25HP, but I didn't really notice any difference.
    Programmer is probably going to turn the boost up a bit and adjust the air/fuel. If he didn't have supporting mods with the tune.... it would be useless, hence no change in performance.

.... and on a WRX you can get 25+whp from deleting all the cats with a straight 3" exhaust. The 3 stock cats choke the car. I would say that is the biggest modification on any BPU turbo 4 banger. Back when my 240SX had a BPU SR20DET, I noticed a difference with a full 3" exhaust. It also put on 27whp more on the dyno with no tuning or boost increase.

It's strange that you would feel a Mustang GT as being faster. Turbo cars are generally more deceptive to the butt dyno. I remember when my 240SX, under BPU power, was putting out 250whp. My car "felt" faster than a bolt ons LS1, but the performance was about equal or a bit slower which was weird since an LS1 felt like it was going for a cruise and my car felt like it was boosting it's stock turbo apart. It must be the rush of going from no power to some power that is deceptive, where as an LS1 has a flat power band, so it feels the same everywhere.
    Last edited by Superluminal; 01-07-2009 at 07:38 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Wesman if it were the fastest car in the world you'd find an issue with it because it's not an LS1.
    If you have nothing useful to add, don't bother wasting space with your post.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Programmer is probably going to turn the boost up a bit and adjust the air/fuel. If he didn't have supporting mods with the tune.... it would be useless, hence no change in performance.
    Like I said, no supporting mods, just the programmer. Hence the modest power increase.

It's strange that you would feel a Mustang GT as being faster. Turbo cars are generally more deceptive to the butt dyno. I remember when my 240SX, under BPU power, was putting out 250whp. My car "felt" faster than a bolt ons LS1, but the performance was about equal or a bit slower which was weird since an LS1 felt like it was going for a cruise and my car felt like it was boosting it's stock turbo apart. It must be the rush of going from no power to some power that is deceptive, where as an LS1 has a flat power band, so it feels the same everywhere.
    Thats why I think a larger motor feels faster to me even if it has about the same power as a smaller one. Instead of that sudden but short burst of power, you have a fat powerband that sets you in the seat and keeps you there!!

Black
    99 Formula

Back to the original post, that actually made me laugh out load

The wrx is gonna hook ya bad!

Thread Information