Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BWM M5 Fun

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by pish180 View Post
    hahaha i always love it how people bash BMW for being expensive.

I consider DC to be a pretty expensive cost-of-living location. I've been seeing 01' M5's going for under 30k (typically 24-28k). It has 400hp stock and u name a luxury and it has it. Also the safety features like crash test ratings along with comfortably of the ride too (seats, handling, stability control, etc). Many different factors play a role in the price. Oh yeah, the M5 is full sedan with a full back seat too.

Im not knocking any other cars but in BMW's defense you get a LOT of car for what you call a "high price". A car that is under 30k with luxuries and 400hp is what your going to spend anyway. I see ls1 gto's going for 22-26k all day. Dont get me wrong I love the LS motors. I've been looking at the new ls2 gto's, g8 GT's, z06's, and m5's. :-)

In regards to the original post... Yeah, that's kinda ricey sounding.
    I bought my GTO for 19,000. It is an 06. Yes, it may not have heated seats or navigation or whatever, but it has 400 HP and a manual transmission. A 2001 is a seven year old car that will probably have a shitload of miles on it. My GTO has 18,000 miles on it and is almost a brand new car... I'm just saying; BMWs are nice and all, but the price is way too much here in america. Those things are like Chevrolets in Europe. You can buy a 1997 M3 for like 1500$

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I bought my GTO for 19,000. It is an 06. Yes, it may not have heated seats or navigation or whatever, but it has 400 HP and a manual transmission. A 2001 is a seven year old car that will probably have a shitload of miles on it. My GTO has 18,000 miles on it and is almost a brand new car... I'm just saying; BMWs are nice and all, but the price is way too much here in america. Those things are like Chevrolets in Europe. You can buy a 1997 M3 for like 1500$
    You're kidding, right? Do you have any idea how successful BMW has been in the US? Haven't you been to Miami, Naples or any other upper-income area? Do you know how many high-wage earners there are in the US?

You got a nice deal on the GTO, btw.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    You're kidding, right? Do you have any idea how successful BMW has been in the US? Haven't you been to Miami, Naples or any other upper-income area? Do you know how many high-wage earners there are in the US?

You got a nice deal on the GTO, btw.
    I know BMWs sell well; too much $$ for me though. I wasnt saying they're not successful.

It took some looking around on the GTO. Most dealerships were asking between 22-26K. It was either a used Goat or a Challenger R/T. Finding a good deal on the GTO made my mind up.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 01-11-2009 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Reminds me of the 330i I sprayed , lol it was Sad !
    Having to even spray a 330i, now thats sad.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_06374 View Post
    Having to even spray a 330i, now thats sad.
    How is it sad? Quite a few people on here spray as well or have FI. Are you saying that's sad that they need it too? A 335I or a 135I will run neck and neck vs a basicily stock ls1. Up the boost and your easily passing them. Am I saying there better? That's up to each is own. But is ridiculous how you people bash them and they there expensive. For what you get there not even close to expensive. People that payed 30+k for a goat I laugh at personally. Also for the M5 comments about 20-30k for a used one. What about the people that bought a used c6 or even a c5. I payed 41k for my vette so are you saying I payed way to much for a car? Everyone has there own opinions and taste's in cars. I have seen a drastic change in opinions of this website. Instead of being car enthusiasts, it seems as if nothing is better than your ls1. Every thread is how this car is terrible, over priced, blah blah blah. It just gets foolish at points.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    How is it sad? Quite a few people on here spray as well or have FI. Are you saying that's sad that they need it too? A 335I or a 135I will run neck and neck vs a basicily stock ls1. Up the boost and your easily passing them. Am I saying there better? That's up to each is own. But is ridiculous how you people bash them and they there expensive. For what you get there not even close to expensive. People that payed 30+k for a goat I laugh at personally. Also for the M5 comments about 20-30k for a used one. What about the people that bought a used c6 or even a c5. I payed 41k for my vette so are you saying I payed way to much for a car? Everyone has there own opinions and taste's in cars. I have seen a drastic change in opinions of this website. Instead of being car enthusiasts, it seems as if nothing is better than your ls1. Every thread is how this car is terrible, over priced, blah blah blah. It just gets foolish at points.
    you make valid points, a used c5 zo6 can be easily attained for 25 grand or less w/ better performance than anything else, also people's bashin' on this site is definately not legit. . . .but what 335 can run w/ an ls1? by "basically stock" do you mean broke?

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    you make valid points, a used c5 zo6 can be easily attained for 25 grand or less w/ better performance than anything else, also people's bashin' on this site is definately not legit. . . .but what 335 can run w/ an ls1?* by "basically stock" do you mean broke?
    A 335I runs in the mid 13's with a decent driver.

red
    2000 camaro ss

so a brand new manual 335 runs mid 13's w/ a good driver. . . .he might run with a stock auto from a roll.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

so a brand new manual 335 runs mid 13's w/ a good driver. . . .he might run with a stock auto from a roll.
    A stock ls1 with stock tires is good for a mid 13-high 13 with a decent driver. Your argument isn't really going anywere..... Both are good cars. They cost pretty much the same when they were brand new. A loaded ss that is.

red
    2000 camaro ss

A stock ls1 with stock tires is good for a mid 13-high 13 with a decent driver. Your argument isn't really going anywere..... Both are good cars. They cost pretty much the same when they were brand new. A loaded ss that is.
    what's my argument? i never said the other was a bad car. i dont drive auto ls1 f-bodies, but i ran low 13 w/ mine before i did anything to it. i ran high 12's with my road race suspension, borla exhaust, and air lid. i agreed with everything you said, in fact, but i cant let your statement about the 335's go untouched. sure, stock ls1's arent fast, but there is certainly no beemer that is fast either, nor is there one that has the potential the ls1 has.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

what's my argument? i never said the other was a bad car. i dont drive auto ls1 f-bodies, but i ran low 13 w/ mine before i did anything to it. i ran high 12's with my road race suspension, borla exhaust, and air lid. i agreed with everything you said, in fact, but i cant let your statement about the 335's go untouched. sure, stock ls1's arent fast, but there is certainly no beemer that is fast either, nor is there one that has the potential the ls1 has.
    There basically equal when it comes to stock vs stock or mildy modded. Only real difference is that with the bmw you actually have a comfortable ride and good handleing out of the box.

red
    2000 camaro ss

look with all the respect i can express, there's no way you can believe that a full exhaust on a 335 yields anything close to the gains of a full exhaust on an ls1. i consider LT's, catback, and intake to be "generally mild mods". really, a cam swap on an ls1 is also a "mild mod" in my book, not so much for the beemer, but we will stick to the easy exhaust for discussion sake.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

look with all the respect i can express, there's no way you can believe that a full exhaust on a 335 yields anything close to the gains of a full exhaust on an ls1. i consider LT's, catback, and intake to be "generally mild mods". really, a cam swap on an ls1 is also a "mild mod" in my book, not so much for the beemer, but we will stick to the easy exhaust for discussion sake.
    Ok well I guess I should restate what i meant. For example you can turn up the boost on those a few pounds and still be safe and get a tune and your around 340-360. Now take exhaust and headers and an intake even and your about the same. No your not your going to get the same power outputs from the same mods because they completely different engines. Both are very stout and good in there own way. Like I said though handling and comfort can't even compare.

red
    2000 camaro ss

comfort, ok. handling from factory, ok (excluding vette comparison). power we gonna have to agree to disagree.
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

There basically equal when it comes to stock vs stock or mildy modded. Only real difference is that with the bmw you actually have a comfortable ride and good handleing out of the box.
    ...and MUCH better quality....
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

comfort, ok. handling from factory, ok (excluding vette comparison). power we gonna have to agree to disagree.
    Handling ok? comfort ok? Please, you have obviously never driven or had a ride in one tom compare. It's like night and day for both of them. And the interior quality is much better.

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

A good tune and minor bolt-ons has them (335s) trapping in the mid-teens. Not too shabby.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

sure, stock ls1's arent fast, but there is certainly no beemer that is fast either, nor is there one that has the potential the ls1 has.
    For the most part I would agree with this statement, however the exceptions to the rule would be the 135/335i (twin turbo setup), and the M-Series (M3, M5, M6) models. The LS1 responds VERY well to (simple) internal mods (cam, heads, etc.) whereas the 335i's twin turbo motor responds VERY well to simple basic mods (exhaust and tune/flash). Both are perfectly capable of running low - mid 12's with relatively simple mods.

The M6 (with a hefty $100K+ price tag) is a bit pricey, however it pulls like a beast from a roll....don't let the 12.2 - 12.5 quarter mile times fool you.

330xi
    03' BMW

LOL... i didn't meant to turn this into a BMW vs LS motors. I was just stating the price thing. Obviously ur getting an older car... but ur still getting WAY more luxuries! Shit the 99' M5 has an electronic telescopic wheel, and adjustable side bolsters to hold u in the seat, ON BOTH front seats. VERY nice when ur driving fast around corners; also your passenger will greatly appreciate it. There are a LOT more features, but yes, u DEFIANTLY get ur money's worth with a BMW, even tho is it older and used.

BTW I love LS motors! LS motors have been swapped in just about every car imaginable because mods are so easy to come by. (solstice, civic, etc) As for mods... i think LS motors have more potential for cheaper.

I'd love to get a c6 z06... but that's out of my $$ range... for now. So I was looking at m5 in comparison to g8's and gto's.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Handling ok? comfort ok? Please, you have obviously never driven or had a ride in one tom compare. It's like night and day for both of them. And the interior quality is much better.
    handling, ok = agreed. . . .comfort, ok = agreed (go back 'n read my post again). a good buddy of mine (whom i also race w/) has an M 3. i run faster lap times than him in my f-body consistantly. you took what i said outta context, perhaps i coulda said it better, but patronizing me is idiotic. they do handle better stock for stock than an f body, not a vette. "ride quality" is better too if takin bumps through the city or cruisin isolated from exterior noises is what you're lookin for. interior quality- - -a vette isn't "best performance for the buck" for no reason. . . .all the guys burnin' everything up on the track w/ their modded c5's aren't thinkin to themselves "man i wish my dash didn't rattle" or "all this road noise is annoying" or "i wish my exhaust wasn't so loud from cab". i never meant this to turn into a pissin fest, and i dont think i'm pissin on anyone's party i have been givin them their respect for what they are for. i'd also be stupid to state claims that they cant make power, which is not what i ever said. i've seen compound turbo geos run 9's in the 1/4.
    Last edited by side2000; 01-13-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information