Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

White
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    Nitto DR's are only $179 apiece at discount tire co... Sounds like you need a set anyway, so go get the nitto's instead of whatever you were running before. Since I was running Eagle F1's before, I saved over $100/tire by switching to DR's LOL. Now that you won't spin anymore, you'll win just damn near every race you get into - but be sure to keep your engine running well.
    Thats exactly what I have Eagle F1s...well since last night I did a complete tune up...plug wire #6 was broken...changed everything to Tr55s and MSD wires. We just took her for a spin...Jesus what a difference. she just will not get traction anywhere, power delivery is crisp. Powerband is spotty at best but still there if I go WOT.
    Thank you all for the support.

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    Those can be made pretty quick. I ran one at the track, he had a chip and I was running 13.8 to his 13.7, keep in mind you have to do the altitude math and knock off a sec to the times at sea level. He must have been modded pretty well to pull you like that though. Dont get down on yourself you will win more then you lose.
    I think you guys are underestimating how fast 335s are.
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

I think his plug wire was hurting him! .... Get a computer tune, that will help out your reaction speed in the transmission a lot if tuned right. have them put it into performance mode at 90% throttle instead of 95% ( it's not much time. but will help...

What is your tire pressure. should be about 25-30 for normal driving around. which tires are on your car 17x9 or 16x8? if not 17x9's you need 2 rear wheels that are wider and good rubber for them. if your planning to do a drag race drop to 25 or so PSI that will help some.

now that the car is running right try racing the 335 again

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

^power enrichment, not performance mode

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Well those cars with just a chip are pretty fast. In order to keep up with the AMG your gonna need LT's with a good tune on top of the mods you have and even then its not for sure. Dont be fooled there are plenty of 335's out there that are tuned and you wouldnt know it at all. Stock they pull good rwhp numbers as well usually above 275rwhp they were underated from the factory. I wouldnt be disappointed, 335 is a fast car my 2001 Vert M3 6 speed went up against one, the only thing he had done to his 335 was take off the hoses from his waistegate is what i was told not sure what it means and what it does exactly and i easily pulled on him with 310rwhp. On the other hand LS1 cars should be atleast there especially with the couple of mods you have.
    if he had taken the hose off his waste gates he would of over boosted. not only taking a risk of blowing his turbo's but also could of blown his engine. now if he took off the hose and put a manual boost controller in it thats a different story. but also if he did either and didnt re tune the car he more than likely just made it slower.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

^power enrichment, not performance mode
    Actually I was thinking of the full throttle enable percentage... but the details aren't important in this case, because i'm not going to tune his car. He should find someone who is good at that or buy the equipment and learn.

There are a number other things you can do to help the car with a good engine/tranny tune.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

He said he took the hose off, if he made the car slower then its good for me. I know right after we raced at the traffic light he came out of the car real quick after poppin the hood and put the hoses back. Regardless i dont think its worth doing that risking the motor just to show what, even if he beat me its a major risk and not worth it but you never know what people are willing to do just to win a race.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    He said he took the hose off, if he made the car slower then its good for me. I know right after we raced at the traffic light he came out of the car real quick after poppin the hood and put the hoses back. Regardless i dont think its worth doing that risking the motor just to show what, even if he beat me its a major risk and not worth it but you never know what people are willing to do just to win a race.
    ya obviously the guy didnt know what he wass doing. if he has done that more than 2 or 3 times those turbo's are prob toast. i have seen the wastegate hoses just pop off 1 time and ruin a turbo, and other times 5 or 6 times before they pop.

some guys esp ones that are not mechanically inclined do not realize wat they are doing and usually try to do wat they read on the forums to make there car faster. and your right most will do anything to win a race. imo if im beat o well i gave u a good run and more than likely you have more money invested than i do.

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

most of the time the guy with the most money has the fastest car

White
    1998 Z28

Thats the one.

White
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    I think his plug wire was hurting him! .... Get a computer tune, that will help out your reaction speed in the transmission a lot if tuned right. have them put it into performance mode at 90% throttle instead of 95% ( it's not much time. but will help...

What is your tire pressure. should be about 25-30 for normal driving around. which tires are on your car 17x9 or 16x8? if not 17x9's you need 2 rear wheels that are wider and good rubber for them. if your planning to do a drag race drop to 25 or so PSI that will help some.

now that the car is running right try racing the 335 again
    They are SS rims and tires so I think they are 17x9.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

If you want to beat him, all you need is likely a good set of DR's. If he has spin issues, you not having those is a great way to beat him. I'm serious. Go get DR's right now, my Nitto 555R's were $179 apiece, $390 installed, and wax his ass tomorrow.

He'll probably get DR's too after that so you'll need HPTuners but I can send you my file, you can delete your MAF and stomp him.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

what the??? seriously DELETE YOUR MAF AND STOMP him... and you were the one correcting a late night slip by me on which table to do...

looks like following advice is going to blow up 2 cars if that happens.

Just because someone has the same car as you and the same mods does not make THEIR tune good for your car. Tunes are like your car everybody has one and thinks theirs is the best. Either take plenty of time and do it right yourself, or pay someone who is a professional and damn good at it.

maybe mr. HEAD is a pro. but that last statement didn't convince me much.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

The 335i's in bone stock trim are already pretty quick -- easily capable of low 13's in the quarter with a skilled driver and good DA. Your Z28 is also capable of about the same in a "best case" scenario (good launch, minimal traction issues, proper tune, etc.).

Dropping a race to a bone stock 335i by "bus lengths" (from a dig and a roll) isn't a common result. Anything is possible on the streets, however getting walked on that bad typically involves driver error or some mechanical shortfall. In this case, your plug wire might have had a decent impact on the outcome.

That being said, with the plug wires fixed and the car properly tuned, I still wouldn't expect to walk by him. At best, you should be in for a very close race.

One other item to note: the 335i responds very well to mods -- it doesn't take much for those cars to put down 350+ rwhp and the motor is easily capable of more.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Thread Information