Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Undertaker During the Day SpinsB's Avatar

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Throttle sticking/hanging

About a month ago I took my TB off and cleaned it up. Not to dirty but still a little gunk behind the throttle blade. Had the car out last night and noticed the throttle sticking/hanging on me. Like if I was cruising at 40 and would put the clutch in the throttle would stick or stay at 2000rpm. Got on interstate and was going 70 put the clutch in and the rpm's went up and hong there. I would have to hit the gas a little and it would then come down to idle. Pedal not sticking and the throttle moves find when i checked it by hang. Any thoughts please??
    2001 WS6 LS2 427ci Forged Callie Crank, Billet Steel Compstar Connecting Rods, Forged Aluminum Wiseco Ceramic Coated Pistons, Stage III Ported & Polished Racing LS1 Cylinder Heads, F.A.S.T. 90/90, TTS LT's, GMMG exhaust, Spec stage III clutch, 18/19 iForged Aero's, Koni 4/4 Strano Springs.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

You may be over thinking this? Did it do this before you cleaned it or did not check this before? I ask because the throttle follower and throttle cracker etc. in the PCM tables purposely hold the throttle up while you shift or let off the gas in gear so as to not slam the throttle shut. It's that way for fuel economy purposes. There's a decay associated with both so if you wait it will come down. A quick check would be to run the RPMs up while you're not moving. If it doesn't hang it is a pretty good bet that there is no mechanical issue with the throttle.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    You may be over thinking this? Did it do this before you cleaned it or did not check this before? I ask because the throttle follower and throttle cracker etc. in the PCM tables purposely hold the throttle up while you shift or let off the gas in gear so as to not slam the throttle shut. It's that way for fuel economy purposes. There's a decay associated with both so if you wait it will come down. A quick check would be to run the RPMs up while you're not moving. If it doesn't hang it is a pretty good bet that there is no mechanical issue with the throttle.
    No its never done this. It will stick at 2000rpms for as long as i would let it but i would hit the gas pedel and it would drop then. But I understand what your saying but I dont think that is the prob. I could coast for 40 feet ect and the rpms wouldnt move from where they were while driving

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Check your cable and make sure it's not binding. Another thing I've seen them do is the cable stick a little bit instead of sliding back into the sleeve. I always spray a little wd-40 on the ends of the cable to keep everything lubed up there. Did you take the tb off when you cleaned it? If so just make sure your cable is hooked back up correctly.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Check your cable and make sure it's not binding. Another thing I've seen them do is the cable stick a little bit instead of sliding back into the sleeve. I always spray a little wd-40 on the ends of the cable to keep everything lubed up there. Did you take the tb off when you cleaned it? If so just make sure your cable is hooked back up correctly.
    Yea took TB off and made a point to hook cable back up in the same spot it was before. where do you spray the wd-40. When I noticed this happening I checked the cable and it seemed to be sliding fine. Can they become lose? Any adjustment to them?

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

If you took your TB apart, make sure you got the little spacer/lock back on the throttle shaft under the position sensor. Also check that your return spring has tension on it. That spring is the only thing that closes the throttle when you lift your foot.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

If I was to go out to the car right now and flip the throttle by hand it will flip back with no problems. No issues at all.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

yeah check the cable like stated before and check your spring....may not hurt to pull off your TPS and just give it a review

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    yeah check the cable like stated before and check your spring....may not hurt to pull off your TPS and just give it a review
    review? hows that work

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

your throttle postion sensor, driver side of throttle body, bottom sensor. Its attached with a safety screw. Take it off and look at the sensor and the exposed section of the outside of the TB now that the sensor is off. You will see the end of the TB shaft that goes into the sensor. Just make sure nothing looks abnormal etc. I just mentioned this as another thing to check out. It more then likely is not this. Although you could have abnormal buildup where the TB shaft sits in the TB. More then likely it is a spring issue, a TB blade issue(getting stuck on carbon build up etc. in the TB), or throttle cable issue...Do you have traction control, if you check your cables from the TB all the way back to the traction control module. Check for binding, catching etc. It is a good idea to move the TB blade by hand to see if you can replicate the sticking.......This being done with the car turned off and the intake off so you can see the TB blade moving.

Black &Gold &Tan Inside
    2001 WS6-NHRA

hi, my car is doing the samething.you name it and i check. i hope some can HELP.

Black &Gold &Tan Inside
    2001 WS6-NHRA

hi, i have to say i try the wd40 it seems to be working. thanks fot the tip

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    hi, i have to say i try the wd40 it seems to be working. thanks fot the tip
    where did you spray the wd40 at along the cable ??

Black &Gold &Tan Inside
    2001 WS6-NHRA

my car is back doing samething

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could it be a sticky IAC? This symptom sounds like what my last car used to do. Drive and press clutch and the revs would rise a little, then when stopped the idle would slowly drop to normal.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

IAC??

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by SpinsB View Post
    IAC??
    Idle Air Control solenoid. It regulates the incoming air at idle. Sometimes it will get carbon deposits and will hang up causing a slow return to normal idle speed or will cause a surge while shifting a manual transmittion equipped vehicle.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Idle Air Control solenoid. It regulates the incoming air at idle. Sometimes it will get carbon deposits and will hang up causing a slow return to normal idle speed or will cause a surge while shifting a manual transmittion equipped vehicle.
    where do I find it? how can I clean it. Funny thing is my car has always had a hard time finding its idle. Surges alot unless I come to a complete spot and even then sometimes it still seems to search for its idle. so maybe that needs cleaned.... tell me tell me tell me

black
    01 SS

its the top sensor on the drivers side of the throttle body, has two hex bolts holding it in... i just replaced mine, and it cost me $115.. i tried to clean mine, but it just simply needed to be changed.. good luck

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6 427ci

k. so wheres the TPS then?

Thread Information