Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS1 Hot Cam Kit

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

LS1 Hot Cam Kit

I would like to know If anyone out there has the Hot Cam Kit for the LS1 installed & How you like it? I am thinking about purchasing this kit for my 2000 T/A WS.6. I have heard that when changing a Cam you ALWAYS want to change the lifters. My goal would be to squeeze as much HP out of the engine as possible. My combo I am considering is BBK shorty headers & custom 3" Y Pipe, The Hot cam kit, Crane 1.8 Race rockers w/ guide plates, Fast Intake w/ the 92MM TB. I also have the adjustable fan switch installed as well as the 160 degree thermostat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

M3+LS1=Badass

Cosmos black
    1995 BMW M3

Quote Originally Posted by jpn8801 View Post
    I would like to know If anyone out there has the Hot Cam Kit for the LS1 installed & How you like it? I am thinking about purchasing this kit for my 2000 T/A WS.6. I have heard that when changing a Cam you ALWAYS want to change the lifters. My goal would be to squeeze as much HP out of the engine as possible. My combo I am considering is BBK shorty headers & custom 3" Y Pipe, The Hot cam kit, Crane 1.8 Race rockers w/ guide plates, Fast Intake w/ the 92MM TB. I also have the adjustable fan switch installed as well as the 160 degree thermostat.

Thank You.
    Why are you running shorty headers??

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

If you are trying to squeeze the most out of the engine I don't think the hotcam is going to be what you want. There are some strong advocates for the hotcam and they can produce good power especially if matched with the right rocker arms, but they will never match the bigger cams as far as peak power. Of course a bigger cam has more drivability issues.

I would suggest going through as many threads, sites, friends, shops and get as much info as you can and educate yourself on cams, along with the other mods that you can do.

As for choosing shorties from what I understand they do not perform as well as the stockers do. Unless you are concerned about emissions I would go the long tube route and maybe even consider a true dual system.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6 T-top

I think he has to run shorties, due to some kind of cat law in Ca. I would try to say something happen to the oem's and run long tubes w/ catted y pipe. I would have to suggest to you to check out some web sites in Ca. I am totally unfamilar w/ Ca emission standars Nx, Co and etc..

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by shaggsm3ls1 View Post
    Why are you running shorty headers??
    because he lives in cali. they pop the hood there and shorty headers are the only headers he can use that they will allow.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    skip the hot cam...
    and the 1.8 rockers

M3+LS1=Badass

Cosmos black
    1995 BMW M3

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    because he lives in cali. they pop the hood there and shorty headers are the only headers he can use that they will allow.
    Which is why I don't think I could ever live in Cali. I'm going to Wyotech there next year, hopefully they won't bust me for having a LS1 M3. Def. not OEM, and here in KY nobody cares

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

i live in ca, had the hot cam and just upgraded to a tsp 224r cam. dont waste your money on the hot cam. its just over stock and for the money you might as well get something that will make more power.

with the 224r i made 25 more rwhp than the hot cam.

and fuck the emissions. dont waste your money on shorties. if you plan on spending your hard earned money on something, leave your stock manifolds and get an ls6 manifold.

Its the issue with moving the cats that why only shorties

Quote Originally Posted by shaggsm3ls1 View Post
    Which is why I don't think I could ever live in Cali. I'm going to Wyotech there next year, hopefully they won't bust me for having a LS1 M3. Def. not OEM, and here in KY nobody cares
    If you plan on staying there and tagging the car in California,,,they are going to have a field day with you,,,,,,,

You wouldn't believe the crap they told me when I did an LT1 swap in my wifes Jeep. California is a joke when it comes to the car hobby,,,,stay far far away.

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Shorty headers

The only reason why the shorty headers is a Friend of mine told me that if I run the long tube headers I would have ground clearence problems ( so I'm Told) I can still add the cats.

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Maybe Ill just go with the long tube headers & go on tesax speed & get a cam & LS6 Springs with my other mods & call it a day? Now, How large of a cam can I install in a stock LS1 without any clearence problems?

If you have lowered your car as so many people seem to do,,,,then you could possibly have ground clearance problems,,,but not necessarily.

I believe what a few are referring to here is that since you are in California,,,the smog police do not allow the cats to be moved downstream from their stock location,,,,which makes full length headers a no no,,,doesn't matter if you reinstall a pair of cats.

If you have a way around this and are not worried, then by all means get the headers of your choice.

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

get a set of pacesetters and catted y. they have great clearance on lowered cars. just stay the hell away from slps!!! (i drag a lot)

as for the cam clearance, pretty much any cam you put in is going to require high lift springs, so you might as well get everything (cam springs pushrods) when you buy your cam.

White
    2001 WS6

how will the stock LS6 manifolds benifit from the stock LS1 manifolds, any performance gains or what? If anything slap the longtubes on and find yourself a shop and "pay" for the smog, feeeel me

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 346DubS6 View Post
    how will the stock LS6 manifolds benifit from the stock LS1 manifolds, any performance gains or what? If anything slap the longtubes on and find yourself a shop and "pay" for the smog, feeeel me

I believe has was referring to the LS6 Intake manifold, not exhaust manifolds

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jpn8801 View Post

Thank You.
    Back in the old days you had to change lifters when you changed the cam for sure. But LS1s come stock with roller lifters thats not true anymore. I changed cams in my 98 with over 90,000 miles on the car and didn't replace mine and never had any trouble. Fast Intake w/92mmTB is way overkill for your combo go with a LS6 intake and port your TB.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    Back in the old days you had to change lifters when you changed the cam for sure. But LS1s come stock with roller lifters thats not true anymore. I changed cams in my 98 with over 90,000 miles on the car and didn't replace mine and never had any trouble. Fast Intake w/92mmTB is way overkill for your combo go with a LS6 intake and port your TB.
    i would always change roller lifters with cam swaps... better to be safe then have one calapse on you...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z/28

i think kooks has a longtube/ypipe setup that is emissions legal in all 50 states. the only problem with these is the price. i have slp longtubes and needed to stiffen my suspension as much as possible to stop myself from bottoming out. still have an occasional scrape...
    race it, wreck it, dump some time and cash into it and DO IT AGAIN...

Thread Information