Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ported or bigger maf, tbs etc

Just curious what the consensus is on switching out to bigger TBs and a bigger MAF. I see one manufacturer even making air lids with 85mm inner diameters to match up with the bigger 85mm MAFs and TBs they are selling. Does it really give any sizable gains on a lightly modded car?

And what about port and pollish jobs on the factory equipment...where are the areas to hit and what kinda gains might if free up?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

I ant no expert. But i was told, unless you have a bigger intake, like a 90 or 92 mm, dont get a bigger TB or MAF. Just p&p the stock one tb.

My .02
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    I ant no expert. But i was told, unless you have a bigger intake, like a 90 or 92 mm, dont get a bigger TB or MAF. Just p&p the stock one tb.

My .02
    +1 I agree, stock MAF is good for over 500hp and you can run into problems if you get an aftermarket one and don't get your computer retuned for it.
    I bought one because I saw the add that claimed 10-15hp gain over stock....ended up putting my stock MAF back on. now I don't have one and am running a MAFless speed density tune.
    keep your stock throttle body and just port and polish it.
    you could upgrade to a ls6 intake to get alittle bump in power.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Just curious what the consensus is on switching out to bigger TBs and a bigger MAF. I see one manufacturer even making air lids with 85mm inner diameters to match up with the bigger 85mm MAFs and TBs they are selling. Does it really give any sizable gains on a lightly modded car?

And what about port and pollish jobs on the factory equipment...where are the areas to hit and what kinda gains might if free up?
    I don't have any links handy, but do a quick search for (how port and polish an ls1 throttle body) that's what I did and found lots of good pics to go by

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

The general consensus on the MAF is to stick with the stocker (it already flows pretty well) unless you're running more than stock cubes or are upwards of 500+ hp. In addition to that, many people run into issues with the aftermarket MAF sensors.

As for the TB, it's definitely worthwhile to port the stock throttle body. You might pick up a couple rwhp with the mod, however the cost is minimal for the benefit.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

If you have a 90mm TB and bigger lid it will pick up a few ponies. But remember it will need to be calibrated with a tune. I have seen 85mm truck mafs on ebay for as little as $40.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

leave the damn MAFs alone people!

ESPECIALLY THIS-----> FOR NO REASON DOES ANYONE NEED TO 'PORT' A MAF.

....ok, I'm off of my soap box now

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yup, no need. You would have to be turning over 7000rpms on a stock stroke before you need more flow. Might even be closer to 8000rpms. Your going to run off you torque and hp curve before you even get close to taxing that stock MAF. Not to mention blowing it up. Stream lining air flow is expensive and dose not gain a lot. Most LT1 and Ls1 engine builders recommend using a stock MAF with their engines. That should tell ya something there.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

keep them both and just have the tb ported and polished
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have ported descreened aftermarket MAF ends, and when I had the vehicle dyno tuned (after a TC install), I was running way lean @ 15.2:1 at WOT. The dyno tuner adjusted the ratio down to 13.2:1. My motor is bone stock.

SteveC

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I have ported descreened aftermarket MAF ends, and when I had the vehicle dyno tuned (after a TC install), I was running way lean @ 15.2:1 at WOT. The dyno tuner adjusted the ratio down to 13.2:1. My motor is bone stock.

SteveC
    that's a common problem with the aftermarket MAFs. I started popping lean codes too. Frost is right....if only I would have gotten on this site before I bought my SLP MAF, that was $100+ that I could have spent on beer

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I don't even understand why people are so obsessed with screwing with their MAFs...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I don't even understand why people are so obsessed with screwing with their MAFs...
    lol because they are sucker just like I was and see (10-15hp gain in under 10 minutes) I'll admit it I wasted the money before I new better......hey I have an SLP 85mm MAF sitting in a box on the shelf now.....it would make a great paper weight if someone wants to buy it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    lol because they are sucker just like I was and see (10-15hp gain in under 10 minutes) I'll admit it I wasted the money before I new better......hey I have an SLP 85mm MAF sitting in a box on the shelf now.....it would make a great paper weight if someone wants to buy it
    if you get tuned for the new maf you're alright but it's by no means a plug and play mod. I could fill a battleship with all the threads I've seen with MAF issues after people swapped them out or tried to port them. You also will get the "I ported mine and it's fine" people too but trust me when I tell you that's a very small percentage of people and even those people I often wonder if they've had the car on a wideband to verify AFR.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if you get tuned for the new maf you're alright but it's by no means a plug and play mod. I could fill a battleship with all the threads I've seen with MAF issues after people swapped them out or tried to port them. You also will get the "I ported mine and it's fine" people too but trust me when I tell you that's a very small percentage of people and even those people I often wonder if they've had the car on a wideband to verify AFR.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

leave the damn MAFs alone people!

ESPECIALLY THIS-----> FOR NO REASON DOES ANYONE NEED TO 'PORT' A MAF.

....ok, I'm off of my soap box now
    Seriously. Stop with the MAF BS. You people are letting advertising and marketing get to your heads and your blowing money on "better" MAFs. Just dont even think about it unless your a big cube motor looking for that little extra.

Frost, did you get my PM awhile ago?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

i haven't gotten a PM from you on this board? (or any other that I am aware of)...

...just double checked; nothing.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

i ported/polished my maf and throttle body and was impressed i actually noticed a difference, runs great. i also had the SLP maf sensor for a little bit while the car was stock, and then when i put on my headers it was running way to lean so i switched back to the stock.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

People, After last nights discussion on Live Chat about porting and descreening MAF's.... Please... just leave your MAF's alone. You will gain next to nothing and will more than likely screw up all kinds of stuff. The people who tell you to port/ de-screen your MAF are wrong. Keep your AFR where it should be and net real HP with real Mods.

Leave your MAF alone!

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

This is a direct quote from the book, "How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s" I'M NOT TELLING ANYONE TO DO THIS, just trying to provide a reliable source to help you in your decision.

"The simple modification that should be performed to ever MAF sensor is the gentle removal of the inside screen. GM obviously saw the light on this after a few years, because the '02 Z06 Corvette doesn't have a screen in the MAF."

"The screen is used to straighten the air coming into it to minimize false airflow readings, but on the LS vehicles with straight intakes, the screen isn't required. On trucks where the air tube approaches the MAF from the side, the screen should be left in unless you're willing to make calibration changed to account for the new readings."

Thread Information