Black
    1999 Trans Am

Car not starting - Please help!!

I was at an event Saturday night at a hotel. Got there just fine and the TA has been great in the past, no issues at all. Anyways, when I got back after the event, the car didn't start, turned the key, nothing happened, tried many times for 2 hours, nothing

Basically, when I turn the key, the fuel pump goes off just fine, but nothing happens, it doesn't even turn over, just dead silence. I checked the fuses for the starter and ignition, all were fine. The battery looks good, radio and everything else work perfectly. Besides, it doesn't even try to start. Also made sure the car was in 'Park' which it was.

The one thing I did notice (while trying to start) is that when all the lights are on in the cluster, the airbag and the security light blink! Is that normal for the security light to blink? I was wondering if possibly this has something to do with a security feature malfunctioning which has shut down the ignition. Is there a way to bypass the security system? My key looks fine with the stupid resistor thing looking fine.

I went back to the parking garage yesterday and unplugged the battery a few times, also took the backup key which is more or less new. No luck! It still keeps flashing the security light. Very frustrating.

I wish the car hadn't started at home, but now it's in a far off garage, if I let it sit, then I will have to pay hefty fees or otherwise I'll have to tow it to a home/shop. Hopefully you guys can share your experience and provide ideas.

Security light blinking sounds like VATS to me. Car isn't recognizing the key pelet resistance because it's dirty, lock cyl is dirty, broken wire(s) at the lock cyl, etc. Get some cheap resistors that match the pelet to bypass it and get the car home. www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61262

Welcome to the board.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks! This guide is so detailed and descriptive. I had come across this earlier

http://www.thirdgen.org/vats

But the guide you linked makes it so much easier for me to take the risk (not that I have other options). One difference between the two is the color of the wires but I know what to look for now. I'll be going to radioshack to get 2400 ohm resistor (which is what I have in the key). Anyone here did this bypass? How did it go?

Never tried it but don't think you should just ask them for a 2.4 - thinking you need something close to a 2400? http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I did it a couple of years ago. I had to use 2 resistors in a series to get my ohms. What I did was cut the wires on the BCM side of that plug and soldered my resistors between those wires and then plugged it back in.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Never tried it but don't think you should just ask them for a 2.4 - thinking you need something close to a 2400? http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key
    Nice! That verifies my ancient multimeter reading, you're right, 2400 is close enough to 2370.

Orion, I may have to do the same as you if I don't find the 2400 ohm resistor at Radioshack. I have 2.2k and other misc ones sitting at home.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

make sure you get at least 5% resistors which have a gold band for the tolerance. It'll ensure your tolerance doesn't let you drift out of range.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I would like to thank both you guys, 2001NBMZ28 and Orion!! Without you guys, I'd be completely lost, acutally I may have ended up towing the car to the stealership, for a small, absurd, and unwarranted issue.

I went back today with the new knowledge in hand. I had determined the resistance value of my palete resistor to be 2400 ohms. Since Radioshack didn't have that value, I had to soder together three resistors in series to get the correct value. Later, went to the garage/car, removed the bottom dash cover and disconnected the VATS wire harness. First, I inserted the key and tested the resistance at the wire harness and got nothing which confirmed there was a break somewhere. Then I plugged in my resistor into the other side of the harness. Turned the key and amazingly, with much disbelief, the car started!!!!! Talk about the relief and satisfaction!!!

I am just so relieved that I didn't have to get it towed to the stealership, really would have burned a whole in my pocket for no good reason. Even the garage only charged me for one day ($16) since they had given out flat rate tickets for the event and didn't have date/time stamps on them. Total cost $36 including the taxi ride, I think I really made it out of this one cheap, thanks to you guys!!

I'd recommend everyone to consider the VATS bypass or be ready to do it at a moments notice (keep a multimeter and other supplies in the car), otherwise you could be very frustrated if something like this happens especially when you may be hundreds of miles from home or even on a highway. This is the only way to start the car if there is a disconnect close to the key. In my case I adjust the steering height every time getting in/out of the car, so probably the wire came loose.

Thank you guys, really appreciate all the help!!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad you got it all fixed up. Nice when it works out for people on here.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Dare2Dream View Post
    Thanks! This guide is so detailed and descriptive. I had come across this earlier

http://www.thirdgen.org/vats

But the guide you linked makes it so much easier for me to take the risk (not that I have other options). One difference between the two is the color of the wires but I know what to look for now. I'll be going to radioshack to get 2400 ohm resistor (which is what I have in the key). Anyone here did this bypass? How did it go?
    I have...thats why its in here...

I had seen other write ups, but figured I do one that was easy and with pics. Not everyone is a hands on person. We all need a little help sometimes. Glad my write up helped you.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Yeah, your guide is so well done that anyone can do the bypass in 10 minutes.

I actually believe that this bypass should be done even before one encounters such issues, in my case, there was no warning as is the case most of the time. My last TA ocasionally had these issues, I really wish I'd done this bypass on it because it was a royal pain having to sit there and try again and again while moving the steering and waiting each time for the security timer to run out. Very frustrating indeed

Thread Information