Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

98 PCM to 99+ PCM

Anyone ever swap from a 98 LS1 PCM to a 99+
    Theres very little support for the 98 due to the off year but a whole lot for the 99+
    I assume its more than a simple buy a 99 PCM and have it flashed with my 98 programming...
    Thanks!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You have to repin the wiring harness and do a lot of other crap. I know it requires you to use parts off of a van to get the fuel guage working as well. Its not fun from what ive heard.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I have heard of many companies doing 98 pcm tunes, some even have them for sale. I would also look on ebay, I have been researching a pcm tune for my '98 and have not had many problems. If you want a hypertech/diablo tuner you won't find much. Those tuners don't do a whole lot though from what I have heard for the money.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

you need to repin your 99 pcm into the 98 harness etc..then you need to get the eco van's fuel section into the 99...then you get real time tunning and more bars etc...you can use any pcm from a 99+

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    I have heard of many companies doing 98 pcm tunes, some even have them for sale. I would also look on ebay, I have been researching a pcm tune for my '98 and have not had many problems. If you want a hypertech/diablo tuner you won't find much. Those tuners don't do a whole lot though from what I have heard for the money.
    i have a hypertech programmer for my 98, didn't have problems to get one. works fine, too. (although it's best for messing with my auto tranny)

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    Hypertech makes a programmer, i have it, bought it cheap so for the mean time its just something to play with
    afterwards itll make a nice code reader, nothing more

98 Formula
    06 duramax

true the 99+ pcm's are the desired pcm's to have but your 98 can be tuned just fine. Get with www.lsxtune.com (frost on the board) about a mail order tune.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    true the 99+ pcm's are the desired pcm's to have but your 98 can be tuned just fine. Get with www.lsxtune.com (frost on the board) about a mail order tune.
    but stock for stock, is there a noticeable difference between them? or is that only interesting when it comes to tuning? (sudden attack of inferiority complex...)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there are things you can do with the 99+ pcm's such as real time tuning that you can't do with the 98's. There are a few other differences too but the 98 can be tuned just fine. I know Frost says if he owned a 98 he would swap to a 99 pcm but I wouldn't. I don't feel the work involved repinning everything and getting the gas gauge to work and things like that is justified by the gains but that's just my personal opinion. There are positives to having that 99+ pcm for sure, I'm just used to my 98 I guess.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

thanks for the backup, i guessed as much. since i don't have plans for major modding/tuning i'll stick to my 98 pcm. and the car runs great at the moment.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

98's UNITE!, Frost was able to tune my 98 PCM, haven't tried it out yet because its winter!

98' trans am

if your going for a heavily modded 98..a repin is really necessary..last thing you want at wot is the pcm guessing mixture and etc

dark red
    98 Z28, 6spd

By chance do anyone make an adapted harness for the swap, just an idea but would be great.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by turbodarryl View Post
    By chance do anyone make an adapted harness for the swap, just an idea but would be great.
    yea its a 99+ stock wiring harness....but its much easier just to repin

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yea its a 99+ stock wiring harness....but its much easier just to repin
    I think he was talking about an adapter. Kinda like plug and play.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by turbodarryl View Post

It's a very old idea... Find connector that matches the PCM-side (a pcm-equivalent connector) and it can be done. They are not made though, so something new would have to be manufactured and the market for such an item is too small.

It's hard to accept that even if it was made that it's several-hundred dollar cost would be OK when you can accomplish the same thing without that much work as it is...

Metallic Red/Charcoal
    2000 Z28

It's hard to accept that even if it was made that it's several-hundred dollar cost would be OK when you can accomplish the same thing without that much work as it is...[/QUOTE]

I have absolutley no idea what's involved with swapping a "98" PCM for a "99" or later but would like to make the change. I have access to any 4th gen F body PCM or wiring harness that would be needed. Where could I find the instructions necessary to make this change or where to send to have it done?

Thanks,

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Night Move View Post
    .... I have access to any 4th gen F body PCM or wiring harness that would be needed....
    Thanks,

If you have access to every year harness why modify a 98? just use a 99-up harness and be done with it...

Metallic Red/Charcoal
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    If you have access to every year harness why modify a 98? just use a 99-up harness and be done with it...
    OK, I was not aware that I could do that. Are the connections on a later year harness compatable with the 98 sending/receiving units? Whats the deal on the fuel gauge hookup, that I read, needs to be modified?

Thanks again,

I have done the swap a few times... PM me if you are interested.
    Non Sponsors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information