Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

should I get a tune?

I know this belongs in the tuning section, but I know more people will notice this here. I have over 400 bucks saved up from my tips I got in the last week or so, and I'm considering going for a dyno tune. my car is still tuned for 93 octane, and I can only get 91, and it has over 56K miles on it, and I really doubt it's had a tune up in the past 5 years. My auto shop that I go to charges 250 for the dyno tune, and I know they'll do a good job. what do you guys think I should do? I have the next two days off at work, so I'll time to get it done.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

I wouldn't probl. get the tune until you get some more bolt-ons like headers or a cam something like that.. IMO its not worth it unless you get those mods or something that needs a tune. What do you plan on doing with the car ?Is it a daily driver? But if you got the $ and not worrying about get another tune if you do mod it.. then go ahead..

How does your car run? are you using 91 octane with a 93 tune? just curious cuz i live in cali too...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You might have gotten more responses in the Camaro forum, but I moved this here because you will get more answers from professionals/experts in here.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I know this belongs in the tuning section, but I know more people will notice this here. I have over 400 bucks saved up from my tips I got in the last week or so, and I'm considering going for a dyno tune. my car is still tuned for 93 octane, and I can only get 91, and it has over 56K miles on it, and I really doubt it's had a tune up in the past 5 years. My auto shop that I go to charges 250 for the dyno tune, and I know they'll do a good job. what do you guys think I should do? I have the next two days off at work, so I'll time to get it done.
    Wait i know im a newb, but what happens if u run 93 on stock motor and stock tune?

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodDavid View Post
    Wait i know im a newb, but what happens if u run 93 on stock motor and stock tune?
    ok never mind guys i did a search and i think its ok. Just that it kinda freeked me out about having 91...and well i alway pump 93 i guess i dont have to. and i just filled up this morning lol!!!

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Never really done it cuz I can't get 93 over here..? but i'm pretty sure nothing bad will happen... I think.. If someone else knows otherwise then correct me if i'm wrong..hahah

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Save your dough; especially considering it has already been tuned. If you are actually getting knock, the knock-learn factor will shift your timing to a further interpolation between high octane and lo octane tables.

Then life is as it should be

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

the car has never gotten a tune, and I'm not planning on doing any engine mods. leaving it stock until it needs a new engine. It's my daily driver, so I'm looking for drive-ability. My engine has pinging sometimes, and I just want to get a freshening up. The car doesn't run as well as when I got it two years ago. I'm all worried it might be getting worn out. But then again, I think I'm kind of paranoid.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

How many miles do you have on it? and how long have you had the car? it might need some new spark plugs if its past 100K if you never change them before. just my 2 cents..?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

it has 56K on it, and I've had it for 2 years. I've put over 11,000 miles on it, and I have no idea how old the spark plugs are. how long can they go?

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

it has 56K on it, and I've had it for 2 years. I've put over 11,000 miles on it, and I have no idea how old the spark plugs are. how long can they go?
    There suppose to be change every 100K.. at least that what the manual says.. alot of people change them around 50-100K somewhere in their.. I havent change my at all and I had the car for about 2years.. and it has 50K on it and i don't have any issues with it yet.. the only I had to do so far was change the batttery and starter.. thats is...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

biggest tuneup item is new fresh O2 sensors. For even stock cars, every 3 years or 40K miles. If you have mods like headers or more serious, regardless of tuning, every 2 years or 30K, whichever comes first in both cases. This is largest overlooked regular maint. item and directly impacts fueling, throttle response (not at WOT though) and gas mileage.

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    biggest tuneup item is new fresh O2 sensors. For even stock cars, every 3 years or 40K miles. If you have mods like headers or more serious, regardless of tuning, every 2 years or 30K, whichever comes first in both cases. This is largest overlooked regular maint. item and directly impacts fueling, throttle response (not at WOT though) and gas mileage.
    any way to tell if they're bad or not?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Not without a scanner and knowing what you are looking at while out driving. Pretty much if you fall inside of what I have posted. Their big problem is they don't fail outright, they get slow "lazy" and drift a bit.
    Last edited by Frost; 01-31-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Hmm, ok. I'll just remember to change them out sometime eventually thanks

Thread Information