Silver
    2002 Camaro

Cool New member, building a 2002 V6 Camaro

Hi, I am a new member, just thought I would introduce myself and describe the car I am currently building up, looking for any good tips to make it better.

I have been driving Camaros since the 1980s, but last year I bought a 2002 V6/5-speed Camaro from its original owner (a little old lady) in Tucson, AZ, with less than 15,000 original miles on it. She paid almost $25K for it brand new, I bought it for less than $9000. I have all the original documentation. It runs like brand new. Still had it's original tires, engine accessory belt, and wiper blades on it. I am trying to build this up to be a very nice driver, with better performance and comfort, but I still want to keep it looking as stock as possible.
    Here is what I have done so far:

Interior:

Installed a Hurst Competition Plus shifter, HUGE improvement.
    Brand new Camaro "SS" front and rear floor mats, and deck lid mat.
    Installed a driver's power seat frame, works perfectly.

Intake mods:

Installed an SLP "Cold Air Intake", a K&N Filter, a Whisper Air lid, removed the "silencer", used an aluminum tube to connect the air lid to the throttle body.

Suspension:

Installed a Chrome Moly strut tower brace, installed a set of Chrome Moly
    2-point bolt in subframe connectors, replaced the wimpy sway bars with a set of factory 35mm front and 21mm rear sway bars with poly bushings and end links.
    Modified the rear lower control arms by replacing the bushing with solid Moog rubber bushings, and welding a steel plate on the bottoms to stiffen them up.
    Installed a tubular panhard rod with greaseable poly bushings.
    Installed a rare AAM aluminum rear end cover with Mobil 1 gear lube.
    Installed a genuine SLP Camaro SS rear spoiler.

The car runs and drives a LOT better than stock, but I still have more work to do. I plan on doing the following within the next year:

Install an aluminum driveshaft.
    Replace the 2.23 open rear end with a Torsen posi with 3.42 gears.
    Replace the stock shocks/struts with a set of Bilstein units.
    Replace the muffler with an SLP Camaro SS stainless muffler.
    Install an SLP driveshaft loop.
    Install a set of headers, either OBX stainless or Pacesetter ceramic headers.
    Turn the brake rotors, and install new pads and add stainless braided brake lines from the solid brake lines to the calipers.
    Install a set of higher ratio rockers on the heads.
    Then get a good "tune".

Not trying to build a super sleeper here, don't want to hurt the gas mileage or reliability at all. If I can get an extra 50 HP out of the motor and have better braking and handling, I'll be plenty happy with it. Any tips to make it better without it costing me a fortune are welcome.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Sounds like you are well on your way John. Welcome to the site.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Sounds like you are well on your way John. Welcome to the site.

Oh, I also forgot, I have a nice set of original SLP ZR1 16X8 wheels with new tires to bolt on. They should look great.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site! We will be needing some pics of this project.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Oh, BTW, I also have a 2001 Z28 with less than 6,000 miles on it, fully loaded.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Welcome to the site. Did I read your post correctly in you saying you paid almost 9K for a 14 yr old V6? None-the-less, good luck with the modifications!
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 02rscamaro View Post
    Oh, BTW, I also have a 2001 Z28 with less than 6,000 miles on it, fully loaded.
    That's a ride I would like to see pictures of.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, John

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Yes, I did, but it had less than 15,000 miles on it, it was the original owner, I have the original bill of sale, all maintenance receipts, window sticker, and I was looking specifically for a V6/5-speed, because they get better mileage, can still be built up to drive better, my insurance and registration is cheaper, and performance parts are still available. Super clean CARFAX. Even the original, unpainted rear end had virtually NO rust on it. Flew down to get it, drove it back home 2200 miles without a hitch. No, it isn't perfect, a few paint flaws, but nothing serious. The undercarriage cleaned up like Brand New.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Will try to post some photos within the next week.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Well, after owning the car for just over a year now, the car burns ZERO oil, leaks nothing, everything works like it should (except for a stereo speaker that I suspect is "blown"), no rattles,
    I get compliments all the time on it, try buying a new Camaro for that kind of money, or even a 2010
    V6 Camaro. It has a proven drivetrain, looks good, handles well, I can make it faster but it won't win too many races, but I'm not a serious racer. I can do most of the maintenance on it myself, saving lots of cash, and it is fun to drive. Yes, it does not have the "oomph" of a V8, but it gets going pretty well once you hit second gear. Should be better once I make the exhaust mods, get a good tune, and make the rear end changes. The handling/chassis mods that I have done have improved the car considerably, should get better with the Bilstein shocks and a new set of wheels and tires. Before I made the chassis/handling mods, I couldn't take a 270 degree cloverleaf ramp faster than 30-35 mph. Now, I can take the same freeway ramp at 50 mph, and the tires aren't even complaining. I'm hoping for a 60 mph cloverleaf ramp speed when I get done with it.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Some photos...

file:///C:/Users/John/Pictures/6-14-2014/DSC00614.JPG

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Having trouble sending photos, any advice on how to do it here would be appreciated.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

I'll try, but it's NOT FOR SALE, well, at a "good" price. Maroon with tan leather, T-Tops, Hurst "factory" shifter. A few mods, but only bolt-ons, haven't touched the drivetrain at all.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

I seem to be having trouble posting pics. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02rscamaro View Post
    I seem to be having trouble posting pics. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.
    You'll need to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket. All you need to do is upload the pic to the hosting site then copy and paste the "img" code into the reply box here. Let us know if you have any issues.

Thread Information