new to the ls1 and PCM's?

I'm in Arizona, (Apache Junction)... My son and I are updating a older drag race only Vega (very light weight, Alston frame, lots of fiberglass, built powerglide, etc.). LOT'S of LS1 questions. Oldtimer, never ran anything but Hilborns and Vertex mag Cheys in the "old days".... Time to learn something new. Have several truck 5.3's and a 6.0 with all wiring. Will start with the GM F.I. unit. Planning the usual mods. We are not planning on going way fast for starters (You know how that goes). Looking for the simplest tuner/system to use at the drag strip...So many options? ...... I'm lost in the "forest". Searched, still so many questions......

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

In a lightweight car, even a 5.3 is going to be a screamer. You can easily utilize a stock PCM as all the parameters can be adjusted using HP Tuners or EFI Live. There are also aftermarket options out there, such as FAST, Holley and such, but I can't say you'll be any further ahead with them. Tuning these newer engines is as much an art as it is a science. You can send your specs to a tuner and have a mail order done to get it all working perfectly, or jump up to a dyno tune to take it to the ragged edge.

First thing to address is the fuel system. LS engines will want 58 psi at the rail. Your fuel system is going to be all custom anyway, so an Aeromotive pump is probably the way to go. You'll probably ditch the MAF and switch over to a speed density tune for what you are doing if I had to guess. Post up any questions, we have a good crew on here with lots of knowledge.

Thanks, good starting info.... I should have included that there is no fuel return line at the present. My ignorance is showing... Do I need a return line?. Mike
    Last edited by mikeAZ; 08-23-2014 at 06:54 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

On our stock pumps, the pressure regulator is in the fuel bucket on the return line. You can deadhead it... just depends on what setup you want to go with and how you regulate the pressure.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Michael! My first car was a 71 Vega hatchback with a V-8. SOoooooo much fun. Especially at 16 years old I wish I had pictures of that car. Super ugly green inside and out, but I loved driving it and I've always liked the early, 70-71 Vega. I've always said that they reminded me of a 'little Camaro'.

Keep us updated on this project. I'd love see how it all gets put together

Good info already BUT I suppose there is/are those who like either the HP Tuners or the EFI Live but not the other....Which is simplest or is there no such thing?... Any links... (I visited both sites today). Still in the forest but can see the sky....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with HP Tuners Pro. Highly recommend Greg Banish's books and DVD's if you plan on doing your own tuning.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Welcome to the site Michael. 5.3 or 6.0, either way you are going to have a nasty race car on your hands. Short wheelbase cars like the Vega are a handful so make sure you get your suspension set up correctly. I remember a guy at E-Town had a blown Hemi Dodge Colt back in the day. It was scary watching that thing dance down the 1/4. I think it was a mid 8 second car and it flopped around when he dropped the chute.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information