Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

New LS1 owner, but been here a while

Hi all,

I've been a member for a long time, but don't remember why I joined.

I bought my first LS1 car today. I figure better late than never. It's an '02 TA with 38k miles. It's a 6-speed and is all stock except for a Flowmaster exhaust.

It needs a 'real' cleaning, not the once-over the used car dealer gave it when I picked it up.

My brother and dad have had a few LS1s between them, but until today only one remained: my dad's '99 SS.

I have two questions so far:

One, is where this plastic thing goes:

Two, where is the RPO sticker on these cars? I want to see if the Hurst shifter was a factory-ordered option or the previous owner installed it.

Thanks,
    Jim

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Welcome, the plastic goes in the trunk, it mounts up over that hump where the top folds over in the trunk to separate the interior of the car and the trunk. There are two holes in the plastic piece with 2 boltlike things on them right? (BTW by the pic I can tell you're missing one, and the piece is backwards) They go in the holes in the top rim of the trunk. I know its probably hard to follow what I'm saying, its hard to describe. If you can't find it out based on this post more pics and I can circle the places I'm talking about in MS paint to show you what I'm talking about.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Welcome, the plastic goes in the trunk, it mounts up over that hump where the top folds over in the trunk to separate the interior of the car and the trunk. There are two holes in the plastic piece with 2 boltlike things on them right? (BTW by the pic I can tell you're missing one, and the piece is backwards) They go in the holes in the top rim of the trunk. I know its probably hard to follow what I'm saying, its hard to describe. If you can't find it out based on this post more pics and I can circle the places I'm talking about in MS paint to show you what I'm talking about.
    Thanks for the info. I'll take another look at it. I couldn't find any holes that match the bolt-like things. I do have the other one, it just fell off into the trunk. There's also a random piece of weather stripping in the trunk. That gray thing didn't have a rubber seal on it, did it?

Jim

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Nice vert, congrats on the new ride!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

None

Enjoy the site and the new ride!

Black

Thanks for the welcomes!

I found the holes and installed that piece of plastic.

The parts guy at the local dealer has a WS6 convertible. He knew where the weather stripping went.

I ordered an SLP lid and CAGS eliminator for it, too. I don't think I'm going to do too much else with it though (famous last words).

Jim

None

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes!

The parts guy at the local dealer has a WS6 convertible. He knew where the weather stripping went.

I ordered an SLP lid and CAGS eliminator for it, too. I don't think I'm going to do too much else with it though (famous last words).

Jim
    Only time will tell... lol

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Thanks for the welcomes!

Jim

Thats what i said 5 years ago, and now here i am about to finish the install of my new LQ9 408 stroker.

welcome to the site, we have started a MOD therapy group over in the general help section if you need it!

None

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Thats what i said 5 years ago, and now here i am about to finish the install of my new LQ9 408 stroker.

welcome to the site, we have started a MOD therapy group over in the general help section if you need it!
    When are the meetings?
    I have not done anything for almost 2 yrs (broke)... yet, it all keeps rolling
    around in my head! Cannot sleep at night!

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post

I'll have to check that out.

I put the lid and CAGS eliminator on today. I'll probably leave it alone for a while. It's my daily driver. Last daily driver I modded (my Typhoon) was miserable to drive. Plus my GN is the money pit right now.

But....time will tell. In the mean time I really like having a stick again. My last stickshift car was my 5-speed Mustang GT droptop. It's like old times again, except faster.

Jim

None

I'll have to check that out.

I put the lid and CAGS eliminator on today. I'll probably leave it alone for a while. It's my daily driver. Last daily driver I modded (my Typhoon) was miserable to drive. Plus my GN is the money pit right now.

But....time will tell. In the mean time I really like having a stick again. My last stickshift car was my 5-speed Mustang GT droptop. It's like old times again, except faster.

Jim
    Now that is thinking with Ur dipstick Jimmy! lol

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SS02 View Post
    When are the meetings?
    I have not done anything for almost 2 yrs (broke)... yet, it all keeps rolling
    around in my head! Cannot sleep at night!
    here take one of these and call me in the morning.

Thanks for the info. I'll take another look at it. I couldn't find any holes that match the bolt-like things. I do have the other one, it just fell off into the trunk. There's also a random piece of weather stripping in the trunk. That gray thing didn't have a rubber seal on it, did it?

Jim
    There was no rubber seal on the plastic piece, there were only 2 small square parts that attached to the bolt/screwlike pieces. The weather striping must be from somewhere else. The holes for the bolt-like parts are above in the trunk, you screw them in upwards.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    There was no rubber seal on the plastic piece, there were only 2 small square parts that attached to the bolt/screwlike pieces. The weather striping must be from somewhere else. The holes for the bolt-like parts are above in the trunk, you screw them in upwards.
    Thanks.

It turns out that the weather stripping was for the back of the deck lid. The parts guy at the local stealer has a '99 WS6 convertible. He knew exactly what it was. He also pointed to the crack in the door panel that I hadn't noticed - said they all do it.

Jim

Glad it worked out for you Jim.

Thread Information