Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

New to the community

Hey all,
    I'm new of course to the community and I already have some questions. I own an 02 WS6 and recently removed the rain baffle out of my hood. All I had on the brain was better flow... I didn't really look into what it was for. has anyone done the same? what has happened when you got stuck in a rain shower?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! I do believe most problems were with the CAI cars that had the filter mounted down low and were driving through deeper water on the roads. I have read all the horror stories about hydrolocking our cars and on that basis decided to keep my baffles in. Granted, it would have to be some serious rain to cause problems, but I didn't think the benefit would be worth the risk.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Wecome to the site and nice car ya got there

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

thanks for the compliment!

yeah Its looking like I have 2 options. Buy I new hood ($2500 from factory) or attempt to custom fab a new baffle. I had to snap a chunk out of the old one to fit it through the gap. I really don't want to spend the money on a new hood...

You all wouldn't happen to know if anyone has had hydro-locking problems with SLP's CAI would ya?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post

yeah Its looking like I have 2 options. Buy I new hood ($2500 from factory) or attempt to custom fab a new baffle. I had to snap a chunk out of the old one to fit it through the gap. I really don't want to spend the money on a new hood...

You all wouldn't happen to know if anyone has had hydro-locking problems with SLP's CAI would ya?
    You may want to post a question in the General Help or Firebird / WS6 section to see what people say. I know there are others that have yanked their baffles. Might find out that it really isn't a problem after all.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

thanks! we'll do

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

And the SLP cold air isn't bad, lots use it. Just dont be running in some big puddles or anything. You already have the hood though, so something like the volant CAI would probably be more beneficial to you.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

welcome to ls1

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Thanks

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

My baffles have been out over 4 years now, no problems yet. I've driven thru some big rain storms also. Not to say it won't ever happen, but I think as long as the engine doesn't injest a huge amount of water, like if you were following someone and they splashed a bunch and it hit the hood exactly right, it'll be ok. I also have my airbox (mostly) sealed to the hood. Nice car!

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Thanks, I've been real leery about driving in the rain so far. I appreciate the input. I've been afraid that I'm going to have to buy a new hood and from the factory they aren't cheap lol. I think I may end up trying to fab a new baffle, but I'm not sure yet. I've been looking at the SLP CAI system and one would almost swear that it would have the same problems

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks, I've been real leery about driving in the rain so far. I appreciate the input. I've been afraid that I'm going to have to buy a new hood and from the factory they aren't cheap lol. I think I may end up trying to fab a new baffle, but I'm not sure yet. I've been looking at the SLP CAI system and one would almost swear that it would have the same problems
    I've driven in rain storms and i have the SLP setup, no problems so far. But you have a ws6, not much need for it IMO unless its free. Not worth the big bucks unless you dont already have the ram air.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

It's raining like hell right now, I have to drive to work in about 20 minutes, I'm more concerned that my LF driving light is gonna fail again from the wetness.

I need two things: a winter beater, so I don't have to drive the wife's Jeep on shitty days like this (sometimes if I work a little over, she needs to get to work just before I get home), and to fix the cracked LF turn signal/DRL housing.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    It's raining like hell right now, I have to drive to work in about 20 minutes, I'm more concerned that my LF driving light is gonna fail again from the wetness.

I need two things: a winter beater, so I don't have to drive the wife's Jeep on shitty days like this (sometimes if I work a little over, she needs to get to work just before I get home), and to fix the cracked LF turn signal/DRL housing.
    Typically I drive a V6 Firebird when it rains or the weather is bad, but I think when I get a good job I'll worry about replacing it with something a little more practical. Right now the Firebird is being worked on, so I've been forced to drive the WS6 in the wet weather
    Last edited by AKA Speedy; 10-23-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    I've driven in rain storms and i have the SLP setup, no problems so far. But you have a ws6, not much need for it IMO unless its free. Not worth the big bucks unless you dont already have the ram air.
    Yeah I didn't think about that. I wonder if both would be beneficial. I've been told that the instructions for the SLP set up instructs you to plug up the lower intake on the factory air box

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Welcome. I've never had a problem with the baffles gone. hopefully you won't either.

Artic White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Welcome to LS1.com

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

thanks!

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

welcome to the site

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Welcome to the site! I did the free ram air mod to mine years ago where I removed the plastic base over the air lid. Doing this can allow water to get up into the filter if you splash through a puddle. But, mine never see's anything other than nice and dry conditions.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Thread Information