White
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

New from Chicago

2002 WS6 Trans Am. Seeking technical advice. Have this NOISE issue with my car. Thought someone could comment.....last TUESDAY ON WAY HOME CAR STARTS MAKING THIS POPPING KIND OF LIKE OPENING/CLOSING SOUND INSIDE ON DRIVER'S SIDE UNDER SEAT AND TO THE REAR...ONLY when driving 5-20 mph...and when take foot off the gas....little bit when get to 5 mph not very obvious when 5-20 and decellerating....really obvious when decellerating.

Under warranty...and took it to dealer: replced U Joints and bearings....dealer claiming that this is some TSB 99-04-02-0020 states the is some noise internal to that drive shaft...have the upgraded drive shaft Aluminum....

I can go ahead and install a custom drive shaft but I am sure this is NOT the drive shaft...and it happens only a a specific range of speed...if I am driving faster than 25 mph it is not ther....just decelerating and get to 20-25....very loud...passengers hear it....

And to top it off when hit the gas now there is this really loud clicking left rear quarterpanel....sounds like deck of cards being shuffled. You can only hear this from the outside. I have had car since May...bumper to Bumper warranty...so not sure ..if I really trust this dealer..."Well the car is ready and you can come get it if you want...and drive it a few days." LOL OK few hours did it....

Let me add that since I bought the car it has been in the shop 3 times: 1st time exhaust check valve. Second time sensor...OK that I can believe...I can even go with the U Joints and bearings...only 36K on this car....no way is it falling apart...and I had a 2001 before the 2002...and I know there are noises in the TAs....but this is not that kind of normal noise...

Anyone know what this is??????
    Last edited by whitelight2002; 10-28-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Welcome!

What RPM? could be an exhaust mount
    im not sure what it is but im sure someone here does.

Hope you get it fixed
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

White
    2001 SS #3504

welcome....

White
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Exhaust Mount???

OK...so I am going in there tomorrow....going to MAKE the mechanic drive with me...I will mention the exhaust mount...I am having a new exhaust put in around December...

Tell you scares hell out of me because it is somehow related to decelleration....and the slower it goes the louder it gets...and all that stuff about the noise being internal to the drive shafwt and they could replce everything and it would still make the noise....OK excuse my ignorance...but to me that would be mechanical...???????? RPM....HMMMM will have to take a look....did not really make mental note...too busy lsitening to "what the hell was that...!!!!!"....AHHHHH that is the noise...it is back.....

That TSB calls it a nuisence and I was told "turn your stereo up." LMAO....

You may be right...may be something with the exhaust since the check valve issue....but....almost sounds like valve or gasket...like something loose or something opening and closing....not quite like what you hear on a pump...I know pump noises....this is not that....read alot about noises on alot of sites....and I have seen this same issue posted...just no solution or suggestion.....

Friend on fquick suggested I try here...SO deal is if I come in with a LIST then they will have the warranty company approve the things to look at....so if you want to help me make a list.....that would be great....and BTW every time I bring this in I have a $100.00 deductible...so since this is the same damned noise...they better waive this one....
    Last edited by whitelight2002; 10-28-2007 at 07:06 PM.

White
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks...hope I can get this fixed....my warranty is supposed to cover all this . I have a mechanic who is doing my modifications...but that is at a different shop in a differnt suburb...I cannot easily get to him during the week....he has never heard of this on an f-body...so I know he thinks I am going over the top putting in a new drive shaft...he will do it...but does not think I have to...and I am putting big bucks into this car already...I do want it just so...but I am not planning on racing....so WANT THAT HORRIBLE NOISE GONE....and the looks of fear in my friends faces....yeah well, it is kind of bad.....LOL LOL LOL

White
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

RPM and Speed-NOISE

Less than 1000 RPM around 950-975....and speed less than 30 mph....love how the service manger turned on the stero today and said that is how most people deal with noise in a sport car.....HHHHMMMMM

White
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Less than 1000 RPM around 950-975....and speed less than 30 mph....love how the service manger turned on the stereo today and said that is how most people deal with noise in a sport car.....HHHHMMMMM...and then the other service manager tells me even if I change out my drive shaft the noise will NOT go away....

OK now explain to me why he kept telling me I had new U Joints and Bearings...I know that...but it has not helped that BRAND NEW noise...that was never ever there until last week Tuesday....

OK well, I just want few ideas...looks like alot of people have noises that they cannot pin down the source of....at least not alone...just this is soooooooooo loud...

Thread Information