Satin black
    1977 GMC Stepside

My project in progress, definitely needs an LS family engine

I have perused this board for many years as a non-member, but now that I am becoming far more serious about getting and building an LS series engine for my 77 GMC step side, I figure it is time to register.

Here is a rendering of my vision for my truck and some of my plans for it. The one thing I desperately need to figure out is what engine and direction to go with it to get the 5-600 reliable, streetable HP I desire. I hope to figure that out with the help of the members of this board.

The rendering was done by Billy Fish, who did an awesome job bouncing ideas back and forth with me.

Some of the mods in it are:
    -Custom painted 20" Coys with knock offs
    -Shaved handles, stock mirrors, drip rails, side markers, stake holes.
    -Smoothed tailgate w/ louvered Mar-K tailgate and Sir Michaels roll pan w/ iron cross lights
    -Custom made grille using black mesh like the modern GMC trucks.
    -Custom louvered hood.
    -Clear turn signals
    -Iron cross peep mirrors
    -Side exit exhaust right in front of rear tires.
    -Satin flat black paint with a matte metal flake lime green for the wheels and roof.
    -Custom pinstriping

I am anxiously awaiting my Porterbuilt Stage 2 rear (a brand new product, I pre-ordered) to bring the ass down, but retain my bed floor. I also am awaiting my viair 480c dual pack, air tank and assorted fittings. It will all be ran into a VU4 accuair valve controlled by an AVS 7 switch controller until I can save up for the full accuair e-level management. It will also have Bell Tech front and rear sway bars and 3" drop spindles.

For now the 327 in it will get a tune up, but after the suspension/ body stuff is done, I plan to start building up an fuel injected LSx family engine to the tune of 5-600hp. I haven't exactly figured out what engine or how I will build it to get there, but I know the end goal. It will most likely be a bored and built junkyard engine with new bits and pieces. I will also keep it manual, probably a six speed.

I don't expect a sports car but a fun driver truck is my main intention.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome! Sounds like an awesome project. Would love to see some pictures of the truck.

Satin black
    1977 GMC Stepside

Right now it just looks like a beater step side. I am working my way up. Currently, the suspension and fuel system are being worked on. I am at a bit of a stall waiting for parts (my rear suspension is being prototyped now, and should ship soon). Then I hope to get the 327 working reliably so I can drive it locally while I work on body work. It's a learn as I go project for the most part. I am entering a lot of uncharted territory for myself, but I look forward to doing it.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Welcome to the site.
    I have a 77 chevy 4x4 so ill be interested to see how your project turns out.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Welcome! I vote L92/6L80E would be perfect for your truck! Can easily make 540-550 hp. Could go beyond that if wanted. Its a aluminum block 6.2 motor and would save you some weight out front as well. You would have a 6-speed auto that would give you the best of both worlds....You could paddle shift manually on your steering wheel as well as other options. PM me some time and I would be happy to share a ton of info with you if needed. This is a really cool site!.... Have fun

blue
    1999 TransAm

welcome

Thread Information