Primer Grey
    1996 R33 Skyline GTS

LS1 Swap into a 96 R33 Skyline GTS

Hello everyone!. well my name is jackson and as the title says i'm here to swap an LS1 into a 96 R33.. This should be fun well here is a little bit about me. I joined the Alabama National Guard at 17 with parental consent. I went to basic my junion senior summer, AIT after i graduated. I have served one tour in afghanistan and one tour in Iraq. I've always been a truck guy, I have a 68 resto-mod c10, 454 .060 over now 468. I had a 1961 c10 but my wife wanted me to sell it. I'm sure if their are any married men here they know what its like. So i got rid of her and kept the truck, i can dream atleast right! No but she is really good, currently i am not employed, but i attend University of Alabama at Huntsville right now. I picked the R33 up from a girl in birmingham who had blown the motor and parted it out. I saw a R34 a few years ago at a car show that had a twin turbo LS6 and have wanted to do one since. And well thats me any questions? i'm sure ya'll will be answering alot of mine!

white
    2000 Z28

do you have a block to start with??? if not make it a big project and get an lq9(it is a 6.0 iron block as opposed to the 5.7 aluminum block but is still the same design as the ls1) and stroke it to a 408. that is assuming the national guard has given you enough of a bank roll that you can pull it off being currently unemployed and all. the pocket book is pretty much everyones issue. but the 408 if set up properly can be a monster in any form, from n/a to boosted. with a 408 alot of n/a builds can hit 500+ hp easily and boosted the possibilities multiply easily. do you plan on keeping the awd set up? any specifics in your build that you want?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

my old man got a car because the old lady said the car go or the car goes-she must have been a nice piece of ass because i love that car. Welcome to the site man post some pics of the money pit, and tell us the power goals/how much money you have so we can help you spend it.

Primer Grey
    1996 R33 Skyline GTS

Well i'm already in the possession of a LS1 from a 00 corvette. A friend i convinced to join gave me this deal. I kept his dog for 9 weeks while he was at basic and i got the motor as he was in the process of a 440ci LS7 swap(which is a hell of a motor!). So i was figuring with the money i saved on the motor i could have it sleeved. I know their isn't a swap kit out for this car so it won't be a cookie cutter swap. Also this car was rear wheel drive to begin with since it was just a GTS, so it will stay rear wheel drive. Eventually i plan on doing a twin turbo set up but thats a ways away. As far as the looks of the car go i want to convert the body to mirror that of a nismo 400R skyline.

Edit: also the reason she made me get rid of the 61 is because she hated its look.. she likes the 68 though
    Last edited by R33LS1; 05-25-2009 at 12:26 AM.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by R33LS1 View Post
    Well i'm already in the possession of a LS1 from a 00 corvette. A friend i convinced to join gave me this deal. I kept his dog for 9 weeks while he was at basic and i got the motor as he was in the process of a 440ci LS7 swap(which is a hell of a motor!). So i was figuring with the money i saved on the motor i could have it sleeved. I know their isn't a swap kit out for this car so it won't be a cookie cutter swap. Also this car was rear wheel drive to begin with since it was just a GTS, so it will stay rear wheel drive. Eventually i plan on doing a twin turbo set up but thats a ways away. As far as the looks of the car go i want to convert the body to mirror that of a nismo 400R skyline.

Edit: also the reason she made me get rid of the 61 is because she hated its look.. she likes the 68 though
    cheaper to get a stroker than resleeving from what i hear.

Awaiting Activation
    That should piss of some ricers...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    cheaper to get a stroker than resleeving from what i hear.
    Unfortunatley that about somes it up, people do have good luck forging them. A cheaper investment would be to sell the motor you have and put it towards a stroker. 600hp on a forged ls-1 is achievable, remember after a certain point it's kind of a bear to handle on the street.

Primer Grey
    1996 R33 Skyline GTS

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know i'll run a few scenarios. I'd like to keep it an aluminum block to save the weight.. hell a ls1 weighs nearly 120lbs less than an rb26dett

white
    2000 Z28

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know i'll run a few scenarios. I'd like to keep it an aluminum block to save the weight.. hell a ls1 weighs nearly 120lbs less than an rb26dett
    The lq9 iron block is about 80 lbs heavier than an ls1.

red
    2000 camaro ss

always a pleasure to see someone put an ls1 into a ric. . . .i mean import. . .

it will be real expensive in long run to have block resleeved AND you gotta be able to take it to someone that wont be like. . . LS resleeve what? . . .

some thoughts:

*~5-550 horse is max you can expect for a hydraulic NA 346. . .

*with some low compression heads you can turbo to 600 wheel no problem on stock nodular crank. . .

*stroker short blocks are relatively cheap and getting cheaper-4-5 grand will get you anywhere between 383 and 420 cubes http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C56 i wouldnt buy lingenfelter just cuz you can find stuff cheaper elsewhere, im just using their stuff as an example of how cheap stroker shortys are becoming. an aluminum motor is usually 500-1000 bucks more depending on who did the work.

now ya just gotta decide what you wanna do here- - -if you plan on makin turbo setup eventually i would slap your ls6 right into the car, that way you have the project done and you can iron out all the nonsense while you save for turbos. . . .then just have a beast turbo car.

OR put the motor in the car with a nasty NA setup atop the 346 and just be satisfied with 500 horse

OR if your pockets go deep enough at the moment, buy stroker short block, get a good set of high flow low compression heads and do the project like that.

either option is gonna involve some money. . .however. . .the cheapest (for most power) would be to turbo the 346 because you can put a budget set of heads on an FI car (heads off a low compression truck is a popular swap ~300 bucks). . .the other 2 options will require some pricey aftermarket castings or some heavily ported fact castings. ive done ls1 swaps in all sorts of cars/trucks/street rods. . .and my advice to you would be to stick the motor you have in the car asap. once you have the car functioning the way you want and all the odds and ends worked out THEN decide what you wanna do for power. its nice to think bout power but ya never know what you will run into 'til it's done. just home depot bolt runs alone gonna cost ya time and loot.
    Last edited by side2000; 05-25-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo

Bright Blue Metallic
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99_Z28 View Post
    x2 ... welcome to the site good luck!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Much respect for R33 NISMO400R!!! I love that bodystyle.

Primer Grey
    1996 R33 Skyline GTS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Much respect for R33 NISMO400R!!! I love that bodystyle.
    You and me both!!
    Well i've figured the best thing i can do now for the swap is to go ahead and put my LS1 in get it running and over the course of a year i could go ahead and build a turbo motor to shoe horn in and then i can sell the ls1 or do something else with it. I'm doubtful i'll do another project after this any time soon. I hope you guys follow me in my future post. I do have a question. Now i'm not very good with computers my wife had to help me make this account, but how do i put pictures on here? i noticed they don't copy and paste.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You and me both!!
    Well i've figured the best thing i can do now for the swap is to go ahead and put my LS1 in get it running and over the course of a year i could go ahead and build a turbo motor to shoe horn in and then i can sell the ls1 or do something else with it. I'm doubtful i'll do another project after this any time soon. I hope you guys follow me in my future post. I do have a question. Now i'm not very good with computers my wife had to help me make this account, but how do i put pictures on here? i noticed they don't copy and paste.
    photobucket makes it really easy. Make an account there and it will guide you through to post pics. I might be so bold to say throw in a cam before you put the motor in.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    photobucket makes it really easy. Make an account there and it will guide you through to post pics. I might be so bold to say throw in a cam before you put the motor in.
    that might be a bit bold, seeing as how the car hasnt run since he bought it. take it one step at a time. get that ls1 into the r33 and piss some people off

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    that might be a bit bold, seeing as how the car hasnt run since he bought it. take it one step at a time. get that ls1 into the r33 and piss some people off
    If the motor can't handle a cam it shouldn't go in a car.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    If the motor can't handle a cam it shouldn't go in a car.
    Well that wasn't the implication. I was talking about getting the motor in the car first

black
    1997 Eclipse GSX

Quote Originally Posted by 99_Z28 View Post
    Im a import guy(ricer) and this doesnt piss me off at all.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

can't wait to see your build start up, sounds like it will be nice

Thread Information