Thread: Hello from ohio

Hello from ohio

Just starting my research on the ls1. Thinking about a transplant for my h1 gas hummer. Thought it would be cool to get a vette engine and double my horsepower. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Will! Sounds like a project I'm sure we'd all like to follow. Keep us updated

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. You'll find all the info you need here. Just post up any questions.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Thanks Knight. I really have no idea where to start. What forum would help me select the best engine? I guess that would be a good start.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site! You can't go wrong with a 6.0 sourced from a truck. Easy to hop up and north of 400 hp is not difficult to achieve.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I would also go with a 6.0 from a truck either a lq4 or lq9. Same engine family as the ls1 main difference is its iron instead of aluminum. Much cheaper usually comes with a truck manifold for better torque. Which I think u would want with something like a hummer. Plus it's easy to get those things over 400 hp. Most people who pick them up get a stroker kit and make them a 408 or 416.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Thanks guys. Would those hookup to my 4l80e ? Or would it be best to swap everything out? I ask because the Hummer is quite tight for space. Would these 6.0's be similar in size to my current oldy? Height is the big issue with these trucks.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

You should be fine the early h1s had the vortec 5700 truck engine which is similar in size to the ls engines and shared similar parts with lt1. I bet you have more engine bay room then us 4th gen fbody guys. Biggest difficulty with switching around engines will be the wiring and harnesses but you can find kits usually to make everything communicate. If needed the ls6 intake manifold is shorter and can easily be swapped in place of the truck manifold. 4l80e was used up till the mid late 2000s If I remember correctly. So should mate up fine with a lq9 or lq4.
    Last edited by raynor139; 04-20-2014 at 04:35 PM.

How about oil pans? Is that anything to worry about? Nothing drops lower than the frame rails on the Hummer.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

You have a few options with oil pans. Truck, fbody, corvette and lots of custom ones.

White
    07 Kia Sorento - LSx Swap

You wont have a problem... The oil pan thing is not a big deal... The PRICE TAG on the oil pan could be a sticker shock though.

Worst case scenario you could go with a S13/S14 aka 240SX swap pan kit. I may end up with one of those myself. I am SURE I have less room in my Kia then you have in the H1. The Trailblazer SS is AWD I wonder how similar their layout is to yours?

Prices dont vary much so i would suggest a 6.0 truck engine depending on your budget. I got my Ly6 for about 1300$

Where in Ohio are you from? Im from NE Ohio!

Before my swap I'd like to get my 5.7L SBC back up and running. I've had my truck parked for awhile. Anyone know a good place to get a complete cylinder head for a good price?

Thread Information