Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    07 Kia Sorento - LSx Swap

Hello from NE-Ohio... LSx Powered Kia Sorento...

Hey everyone... Just joined to look for some parts to complete my swap. Ive been searching high and low for a front sump Ls2 GTO pan, or something similar for my swap... Also on the look out for a replacement for the transfer case I am missing from my swap. I am on a few forums... Like to see what goes on, who has what info, and so on. Not all forums are created the same...

So, as its pretty obvious I have a Kia Sorento... Its undergoing a LSx swap...

The History;

We bought our Sorento in 08' with 7k on it. I wanted something else, anything else... I was rather un-enthused when the dealer at the Mitsu dealership mentioned a "Kia SUV"... I scoffed that I was looking for something with power and that could tow and get out of its own way. He re-assured me and told me to drive it. MAN was I stunned. This little Korean thing had balls... and not just "oh its quick" balls... It had "rice boy eating" brass balls (proven literally multiple times).
    If thats not enough she went through 3 accidents and came out the victor by a landslide!

Fast Forward;

So first off Mentor Kia's service department in Mentor Ohio can go pound salt... They suck, well, at least the d-bags I dealt with before they changed their dealership around. These worthless halfwits were as useless as a poopie flavored lollypop. We had the car there after one accident that messed up the seat latches and triggered the active head rests. The moron came out and looked at my headrests that were at a 45* angle forward. He told us nothing was wrong with the seats OR the headrests... All I wanted was them to fix it and be PAID by the lady that hit us' insurance company!! We also asked about the sound the engine makes after startup for a while and were pointed to a TSB about chain noise (its normal he said). Another time we needed the door handle (that fell apart) to be fixed under warranty... My wife called constantly and the guy kept blowing her off, telling her it was on order, or it was going for paint, or this or that, or that, or whatever. When she took it to them to look at it that time she also mentioned the engine noise, blown off again. Yet again (actually 3 times) we had to take the car to have some switch or WTF ever replaced because the dome light would stop working. They also did the stop switch recall. Mentioned the engine sounds.... Just the TSB again.

Let me tell you this much IF YOU HAVE A 3.8L ENGINE... in your Kia and it makes ANY NOISE that can be fluffed off as some HORSE-POCKY TSB then you need to INSIST that they do something about it. This sound is your timing chain beating the living HELL out of its guides. I have pictures AND video of the horror inside the timing system that that causes when arse-hat dealerships ignore your persistent concern. My guides were shaved down through the "plastic" slides and into/through the aluminum guide holders. Hell the TOP guide was SAWN OFF by the chain! It even wrecked the front cover, destroying the seal oil catch around the front main.

After buying new everything from chains and tensioners, to the front cover itself (stealership) I re-assembled the engine.

It ran like a top...

...for 2 days...

My wife called and said it started running bad like before (skipped a tooth on the cam gear finally after all the wearing). She said as she was pulling over the oil light came on and then she shut it off...

...My wife now holds the record for the amount of various sized pieces a single piston can be converted into...

After tearing off the intake (to see if something went catastrophic with the cam timing) I heard a rattle... Not any sort of good one... Like filling the tin-man with hex-nuts and pushing him down a flight of stairs...

What was in there? Piston... Yeah... In my intake manifold. Pieces of piston and even a section of oil wiper ring.

Here is what i shook out...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dh8.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	25782

Well... I knew what that was right off the bat. So I knew I had to make a move. I wanted to see what the damage really was, and size up my contribution to the scrap yard also so I pulled the engine and found this...

Name:	0oxc.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	25783

Name:	mk49.jpg 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	25784

Name:	d1lq.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	25785

Name:	t1o0.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	25786

(more to come....)

White

Well... i cant post any pictures and i have NO idea why... No matter what i do it keeps telling me "new post contains too many URLS and checked for forbidden words... I have not used any and cant even put up 1 more pic now..?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Craig, nice introduction

As far as the pictures go, we do have a size limit and the longer you're a member, the larger it gets. I'm not sure why you're getting URL errors though. I'll see what's up and get back to you.

White

Thanks. I have a TON of great swap pictures. Or would that be better moved to the Rides Forum?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Actually, a better place to post them would be in here; LSx Retrofit and Swap

Start a thread in the Retrofit and Swap section. We like to see how swaps progress around here. There is always new and valuable information to be learned and shared during swaps.

We do have a 10 post requirement to post pictures to keep the spammers at bay. But after that, you're good to go. For the most part, most of us use picture hosting sites like photobucket for posting a lot of pictures. Just copy and paste the IMG code. That way, you're not using up the space you're allowed on the site too

White

Thanks for the info. The error message didnt mention a post minimum. That would have made it easier.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

We're working on tweaking the requirements for posting pictures and the error message some members are getting.

White

Pictures rule kind of stinks because as a Noob you wanna post your project up right away. I understand classified restrictions tho. However one site requires 100 posts and you cant even reply to an add. That screws me because i desperately need an oil pan.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by LSxPoweredSorento View Post
    Hey everyone... Just joined to look for some parts to complete my swap. Ive been searching high and low for a front sump Ls2 GTO pan, or something similar for my swap... Also on the look out for a replacement for the transfer case I am missing from my swap. I am on a few forums... Like to see what goes on, who has what info, and so on. Not all forums are created the same...

So, as its pretty obvious I have a Kia Sorento... Its undergoing a LSx swap...

The History;

We bought our Sorento in 08' with 7k on it. I wanted something else, anything else... I was rather un-enthused when the dealer at the Mitsu dealership mentioned a "Kia SUV"... I scoffed that I was looking for something with power and that could tow and get out of its own way. He re-assured me and told me to drive it. MAN was I stunned. This little Korean thing had balls... and not just "oh its quick" balls... It had "rice boy eating" brass balls (proven literally multiple times).
    If thats not enough she went through 3 accidents and came out the victor by a landslide!

Fast Forward;

So first off Mentor Kia's service department in Mentor Ohio can go pound salt... They suck, well, at least the d-bags I dealt with before they changed their dealership around. These worthless halfwits were as useless as a poopie flavored lollypop. We had the car there after one accident that messed up the seat latches and triggered the active head rests. The moron came out and looked at my headrests that were at a 45* angle forward. He told us nothing was wrong with the seats OR the headrests... All I wanted was them to fix it and be PAID by the lady that hit us' insurance company!! We also asked about the sound the engine makes after startup for a while and were pointed to a TSB about chain noise (its normal he said). Another time we needed the door handle (that fell apart) to be fixed under warranty... My wife called constantly and the guy kept blowing her off, telling her it was on order, or it was going for paint, or this or that, or that, or whatever. When she took it to them to look at it that time she also mentioned the engine noise, blown off again. Yet again (actually 3 times) we had to take the car to have some switch or WTF ever replaced because the dome light would stop working. They also did the stop switch recall. Mentioned the engine sounds.... Just the TSB again.

Let me tell you this much IF YOU HAVE A 3.8L ENGINE... in your Kia and it makes ANY NOISE that can be fluffed off as some HORSE-POCKY TSB then you need to INSIST that they do something about it. This sound is your timing chain beating the living HELL out of its guides. I have pictures AND video of the horror inside the timing system that that causes when arse-hat dealerships ignore your persistent concern. My guides were shaved down through the "plastic" slides and into/through the aluminum guide holders. Hell the TOP guide was SAWN OFF by the chain! It even wrecked the front cover, destroying the seal oil catch around the front main.

After buying new everything from chains and tensioners, to the front cover itself (stealership) I re-assembled the engine.

It ran like a top...

...for 2 days...

My wife called and said it started running bad like before (skipped a tooth on the cam gear finally after all the wearing). She said as she was pulling over the oil light came on and then she shut it off...

...My wife now holds the record for the amount of various sized pieces a single piston can be converted into...

After tearing off the intake (to see if something went catastrophic with the cam timing) I heard a rattle... Not any sort of good one... Like filling the tin-man with hex-nuts and pushing him down a flight of stairs...

What was in there? Piston... Yeah... In my intake manifold. Pieces of piston and even a section of oil wiper ring.

Here is what i shook out...

Name:	3dh8.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	25782

Well... I knew what that was right off the bat. So I knew I had to make a move. I wanted to see what the damage really was, and size up my contribution to the scrap yard also so I pulled the engine and found this...

Name:	0oxc.jpg 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	25783

Name:	mk49.jpg 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	25784

Name:	d1lq.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	25785

Name:	t1o0.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	25786

(more to come....)
    My dad is a TV repairman, he has an awesome set of tools. I know I can fix this.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

White

I tried with the wives hot glue gun. I hope he has something stronger. The hot glue made a mess. It got warm then plugged the cam rotator ocilator valve assembly. That casued a fracture in the flux capacitive liquidator. I got stuck in 1986.... im actually 60 years old but the time continuum mis adapted to the phase fracture shift so i still look 33.

Hehe

White

So i will see if i can get my posts so i can start my so thread then LoL.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LSxPoweredSorento View Post
    Pictures rule kind of stinks because as a Noob you wanna post your project up right away. I understand classified restrictions tho. However one site requires 100 posts and you cant even reply to an add. That screws me because i desperately need an oil pan.
    You should be able to purchase things and reply to for sale posts. Just not sell things until you have been a member for 3 months and acquired 100 posts. That protects our members from those that just post items up for sale to rip people off, then disappear after receiving payment, etc... It's not uncommon.

White

I can understand not being allowed to post. Your right. Tobmany thieves on forums.
    However i tried on another forum to reply to an add and couldn't. Thay sucked because i lost my chance at a pan there. Does paypal protect you from that? I thought that was what it was "made fo "? (Not trying to sound like a DB. Im honestly curious because i rely on paypal but dont want to realize its been blind faith)

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Belated welcome to the site! Looks like an interesting swap project.

White

Thanks. Its pretty cool how it all came together. The factory Kia mounts and tje factory GM truck mounts lined up perfect. However they were the wrong angle. Kia is vertical and GM is on angle.
    I will shiw all of that when i can post pics.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I can say I've seen LSx swaps in some strange vehicles but never once in a Kia.....going to be an interesting ride. My next project might be swapping a 5.3 or 6.0 liter in my son's S10 Blazer. I'm getting tired of the temperamental 4.3 it currently has.

White

LSx Swap the world man! LoL. The truck motors are way cheaper to come by. Thats why i used one. I could never get my hands on an LS3 for a good price.

White

Well I think I am at ten posts now so i am gonna copy this thread into the swap area because its relevant.... then copy in the MASSIVE post i made that i saved....

White

Well here she is... in here entire massiveness...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f124/lsx-p...orento-179206/

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information