Guards Red
    1984 Porsche 944

Hello from Fort Campbell, Ky

Hello all,

I don't own a Corvette, or a GTO, or anything American that would have an LS1 in it. I have a Porsche 944 that will soon be running with an LS1. I will shortly start rebuilding my LS1 to what I want it to be while I am also getting my 944 ready for the engine. I am open to any tips on 1998 LS1s and their problems and shortcomings. I plan on swapping reinforced parts into my engine but I have heard that there are issues with LS1s, so like I said, I am open to help.

Thank You,
    Ray Russell

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Ray! Good luck with the swap. Keep us updated. I'm sure you'll find this site and it's members to be very helpful.

Guards Red
    1984 Porsche 944

Thanks, I hope so. I will be picking the brains of the people from this site and 944hybrids, the forum that deals with the ls1 is 944s.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site. The only issue you will have is how fast your 944 is with the LS1!

Seriously, on a '98 I would upgrade the rod bolts and maybe the oil pump. If you are going to be winding it out with a manual transmission behind the engine then aftermarket pushrods are also a good idea. What are you going to run for engine management?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Welcome to the site. The only issue you will have is how fast your 944 is with the LS1!

Seriously, on a '98 I would upgrade the rod bolts and maybe the oil pump. If you are going to be winding it out with a manual transmission behind the engine then aftermarket pushrods are also a good idea. What are you going to run for engine management?
    You should be able to run without engine management system if you do it old school. New intake with a carb and no sensors. You will need to get classic car plates to run on the street but your car is over 25 years old so that should not be a problem. Good luck with the swap.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Welcome to the site and good luck with your project! Be sure to start a thread with many pics of your work!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

in the past I've read about this swap.....it will certainly surprise the shit out of some people. Like everyone has already said...definitely new rod bolts and if you're gonna put a bigger cam then address the valvetrain. I'm assuming you already have the 98? They kinda get a bum rap. Although GM did upgrade the 99-02's in the right areas (oil galley in the back and windows in the mains) the 98's are still a pretty dependable motor. I have 97k on my 98 with heads/cam and have beat on it religiously since buying it in 99. The trick IMO is to not spin them to the moon.....keep your rpm's in the mid 6000 range and it should last you a long time.

blue
    1999 TransAm

welcome cool project you got brewing!

Thread Information