white
    2002 B4C

Yet more tune HELP needed!!!

So I was also not wanting to go the mail order tune route, although I almost did. I found 409motorsports in Sc who said they would do a tune at a show and then dyno it. Not really a dyno tune but, a little better than just a tune. Shaw, an attractive female tuner(woohooo sucked in already), did the tune. She claims to have owned, tuned and modded LS1s. She used LS1 Edit. Changed gears to 373, set fans for 160 therm, changed the shift points & firmness, basic tune and deleted codes...etc...for $100. Here's my first question: Why does the "Service Engine Soon" light not come on when key is in "on" position and car has not been started? Is it supposed to be totally disabled? The emission codes being deleted is fine, but what if something else happens? I won't know about anything being wrong. Second: The car runs better, but my Dyno was horrid! Granted there was problems with the tech using my hand controls(watch dyno fire video/explained here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...65#post1453465) I will post my Dyno soon as I can....it is NOT smooth. I was going to run the car on the dyno myself as I know the hand controls best and Shaw would evaluate again, but it started to rain. She told me we could do it another time, I hope she stands by her words. The Dyno runs were only $50 and they gave me half back, and they did more runs than they could have. Could I have an issue with exhaust, other mods or even TPS? Or could it be the tune. They assured me it was ok, but I am very apprehensive. Last: Shift points were all set at 6000 rpm when she went on PCM, but it don't happen...she was stumped on that one which makes me think TPS? I am considering another tuner who has great revues with dyno tune, but that won't be for a while or maybe I should bite the bullit and do it soon? The car runs poorly on take off IMO, but highway and mid-range are good enough for me. So close, yet so far .

Thanks for all the help and listening to my newby rants/concerns.
    Last edited by TedsB4Csled; 05-04-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling

white
    2002 B4C

...me again...my temp reading doesn't seem that much different with 160 compared to stock on there, just a little difference. Is that normal?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    ...me again...my temp reading doesn't seem that much different with 160 compared to stock on there, just a little difference. Is that normal?
    temp gauge is a "fake" reading. only the 98 gauges actually worked.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

white
    2002 B4C

white
    2002 B4C

I will post NEW dyno soon...scroll down...

Nick Williams!!! He tuned my car today, CORRECTLY! 315rwhp - 325+rwtq AND it shifts right, runs right and did not catch on fire!

GO TO NICK WILLIAMS IF YOU NEED A TUNE. Mooresville, NC 2hrs from me, but hell if that was worth the overpriced gas and they charged me $300 for complete dyno tune!!!! My luck, or car luck has changed!
    Last edited by mrr23; 05-06-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

My car used to warm up and run the temp to about 208*. Then I installed a 160* stat and dropped the fans to kick in above 180* and kick off @ 175*. According to HPT, the car will now sit at a idle and run @ 176*. Looking at the dash, the needle sits in EXACTLY the same place.

Understand that the gauge is pretty much there for dummy light purposes. Its only useful @ the extremes to let u know if things are definitely whack.

-Eagle

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I will post NEW dyno soon...scroll down...

Nick Williams!!! He tuned my car today, CORRECTLY! 315rwhp - 325+rwtq AND it shifts right, runs right and did not catch on fire!

GO TO NICK WILLIAMS IF YOU NEED A TUNE. Mooresville, NC 2hrs from me, but hell if that was worth the overpriced gas and they charged me $300 for complete dyno tune!!!! My luck, or car luck has changed!
    Amazing what happens when you get an actual tune from someone that knows what they're doing versus someone who just has an idea and a nice set of legs

LOL
    -Eagle

white
    2002 B4C

oh it was 314.9(315)hp and 332rwtq!!!!!! How do I post it? Oh i need URL....hmmmmm.let me think....

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    temp gauge is a "fake" reading. only the 98 gauges actually worked.
    Fake readings??? Why would a 98 be any different than 96 to 2002? Every LT1 and LS1 I have checked have been within a couple degrees from computer to dash readings.

oh it was 314.9(315)hp and 332rwtq!!!!!! How do I post it? Oh i need URL....hmmmmm.let me think....
    Good numbers.
    Make a photobucket account and upload them and copy and paste the link provided by photobucket.

white
    2002 B4C

I was scolded on here so much about the Slowmaster, i took it off. Going to dyno it again. SOP is even better without it! I'll decide wether to keep it or not after the results. Thanks!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Red on Red WS6 View Post
    Fake readings??? Why would a 98 be any different than 96 to 2002? Every LT1 and LS1 I have checked have been within a couple degrees from computer to dash readings.

Nah, there is a bulletin about in in 98... in 98 people saw the normal swing of the cooling syetem and kept taking their cars in for service saying it was wrong for the temp to swing so GM dummied out the guage in the 99-up cars. They have a warming up area, up to temp area and an overheat area.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Red on Red WS6 View Post
    Warmed up and at idle my gauge sits about 1/8" to the left of center (212*) yet my laptop reads 176*...

-Eagle

white
    2002 B4C

Nice.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Nah, there is a bulletin about in in 98... in 98 people saw the normal swing of the cooling syetem and kept taking their cars in for service saying it was wrong for the temp to swing so GM dummied out the guage in the 99-up cars. They have a warming up area, up to temp area and an overheat area.
    Thanks, Good info to know. I have never seen it personally, but I have a guy coming over this weekend with a 00 SS I will look a little closer at it.

Thread Information