Would a HP Tunner erase my current setup?

This is a discussion on Would a HP Tunner erase my current setup? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; When the heads and cam were installed by East Coast Supercharging the computer was tunned by the installer. If i ...

Pewter
    01 SS

Would a HP Tunner erase my current setup?

When the heads and cam were installed by East Coast Supercharging the computer was tunned by the installer. If i purchase the HP tunner and access my pcm, would the device see the new setup (programmed after the mods)? My concern is, i would hate to plug it in and have it revert back to the stock setup. Plus i would love to see the changes which were made by the installer. Can you guys give some insight before i purchase.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

You won't go back to stock by plugging it in, but you'd have to get ahold of a stock tune to compare the changes made.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Look at it this way. Your car's pcm has a file on it. Hptuners opens that file and lets you save a copy to your laptop. If you do nothing else at this point you'll have a file on your car's pcm and an identical copy of that file on your laptop. You can then edit the file on your laptop to change whatever parameters you want/need to change and save it as a completely different file. You can then hook back up to your car and overwrite the file on the car's pcm with the new edited file. The only time you change what's on the car is when you "flash" a new file to it.

Like tot said....the only way you can compare the changes to a stock file is to download a stock file from the repository on hptuners site unless your tuner gave you a copy of your stock file on a disk. You can log into their site and get a stock file for your car there. Hptuners has a compare feature that will let you look at your current file and compare it to the stock file.
    Last edited by 0rion; 01-25-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Pewter
    01 SS

You guys are amazing thanks for your time and knowledge.

Thread Information