Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Will a tune benefit me.

This is a discussion on Will a tune benefit me. within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; How much would I have to spend to get a labtop that would be capable to run HP Tuner? what ...

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

How much would I have to spend to get a labtop that would be capable to run HP Tuner? what do you recommend.
    I have been on there site and I think it is just the BIG learning curve you have to get by that scares me and the fact of screwing up my car.
    I would love to buy a tuner. Also how much do you have invested in your tunning set up?

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I think you lost me,,,,,I didn't use a handheld on the 02 SS,,,,I in fact used HPtuner,,,,which is tuning software using a laptop,,,,,,I mentioned that in my post that you quoted,,,not sure how you missed that

I am not thinking anything. What I did was cold hard fact,,,,,I ran the car stock,,,tuned the car with HPtuner,,,,,and ran the car again,,,,and those are the gains I posted. Solid gains in anyones book,,,period.

Cost effective??? Probably more so than you think. There is so much more to be gained from a tune, not to mention all the diagnostic abilities I now have, checking and clearing codes, scanning and logging,,,,it's endless.
    Very much worth the money. Gaining 3 tenths and 3 MPH in the process????? There isn't another single bolt on that can give me all these things listed in one shot. And most of them won't give you that kind of ET or MPH gain either. Hell I've spent $500 on other bolt ons that only gave me a tenth improvement,,,and other bolt ons costing $300 that didn't do a damn thing for the car, you make the call, but in my case buying and tuning with HPtuner sounds pretty logical to me,,,,,,
    I did miss that,my bad.......if your going to get a tune,HPtuners would be the way to go. Still isn't cost effective untill you start modding thou.........

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan99 View Post
    How much would I have to spend to get a labtop that would be capable to run HP Tuner? what do you recommend.
    I have been on there site and I think it is just the BIG learning curve you have to get by that scares me and the fact of screwing up my car.
    I would love to buy a tuner. Also how much do you have invested in your tunning set up?
    My wife is the computer guru of the family, it's what she does for a living. So she already had this laptop laying around that I could use for the car. The laptop itself is probably 4-5 years old I'd say.
    From what I understand they are relatively inexpensive nowadays and there are deals on them all over. My wife has many contacts for that stuff. I don't recall what HPtuner requires for memory and that sort of thing,,,,I just remember my wife looking at HPtuner and then pulling out this laptop we had and said,,,,,,here this is more than enough

Yep HPtuner has been a HUGE learning curve for me,,,,and I don't have it all figured out. A rookie if you will,,,,yet the improvements I have already made to the car just in ET and MPH at the track more than shows it's worth the effort, even on a stock car. I have changed some other things as well, and there are tricks you can tinker with for gas mileage too. Logging is cool, you can diagnose anything you would ever need to.

I spent $500 for HPtuner, the laptop we had extra laying around so that wasn't really an expense in my case. I think it's probably the best bolt on (if you can call it that) I have spent on the car yet. It's surely given me the most ET out of the car so far. I've spent close to $2,000 in other goodies and none of them gave me the gains that tuning did.

I'll say I'm pretty happy with it and yet I've only used maybe 50% of it's capabilities. Since my car seemed to respond to a tune better than others,,,and I am just a rookie with computers,,,,,I am very tempted to take it to a local tuner and have them put their tune in and see how the car responds as well, because I am sure I'm not extracting every bit out of it that I can.
    The 3 tenths and 3 mph I gained was just from tinkering with the VE table and MAF table a bit using the fuel trims as a guide,,,,,and a little timing here and there,,,nothing magic,,,and most tuners will tell you it's not the most accurate way, but I'm learning. I think there is a little more in the car, I haven't even played with PE yet

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thank you very much for all the into you have given me Firebirdjones.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan99 View Post
    I've used a site called retrobox.com twice now for refurbished laptops with zero issues. I paid $263 for the dell I currently use. Laptops come and go almost on a daily basis there so if they don't have what your looking for at the moment wait a day or two and the list will get updated. Right now they're only showing 1 laptop but that'll change in the next day or so. The price varies depending on what options the laptop has.

I'm pretty sure Hptuners lists 800 mhz as a minimum requirement. I'd just look for 1ghz+ and you'll be fine. The one I use is a 1.1 ghz and it works fine.

There definitely is a learning curve but they have a pretty decent forum for help and if you read enough and ask enough questions it'll start to make a little sense to you after a while. It almost becomes a hobby within a hobby. Keep in mind that you'll want a wideband to go along with the tuning software so you can get a more accurate idea of what the afr is doing on the car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information