Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wideband Recommendations?

This is a discussion on Wideband Recommendations? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Larry For those that already have the regular version of HP Tuner and not the Pro the ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    For those that already have the regular version of HP Tuner and not the Pro the LM-2 might be a good alternative. Can't you just disregard the extra PIDs it logs and use what you need?

From what is being said in the following link the NGK AFX might be the most accurate:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21019
    the problem with doing that is you just stepped back in time about 7 years or so. That's how we used to do it with LS1edit. Log everything separate and then try to match them up. When you do that you loose a huge chunk of the things that help you tune....the histograms. A better alternative is to log the 0-5v reference under your a/c pid or egr pid if you have it but even then it's a huge pain compared to having it all laid out right there for you. I realize people usually buy the regular version of hptuners to save money but that money you're saving is just buying you headaches.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Banish put in a plug for the NGK AFX in his advanced tuning book -- I just noticed that today. I'd probably be more inclined to go with that if I was tuning multiple vehicles versus monitoring one.

Supersonic Blue
    2012 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the problem with doing that is you just stepped back in time about 7 years or so. That's how we used to do it with LS1edit. Log everything separate and then try to match them up. When you do that you loose a huge chunk of the things that help you tune....the histograms. A better alternative is to log the 0-5v reference under your a/c pid or egr pid if you have it but even then it's a huge pain compared to having it all laid out right there for you. I realize people usually buy the regular version of hptuners to save money but that money you're saving is just buying you headaches.
    I agree! I'm one that has had a lot of headaches because I did not buy the Pro in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Guess I like being stuck back in time, I'm still a carb guy at heart

Honestly it's not as bad as it sounds. I just use the 02's to get the VE at part throttle close enough, and just use the wideband for WOT. A little math or percentage increase in the MAF tables to get the wideband AFR where I want it at WOT, then I just leave it alone. Only takes me 2-3 tries.

The altitude around here changes so much any direction you drive, I honestly could sit here and really beat myself up over numbers and tune until my eyes bleed. The AFR changes from my house to the track about .3-.4 going from 5,000 feet down to 700 feet. So I have to compensate and give up a little in one area (a tad fat up high) for a gain in another (to just about right at 700 feet). So it's never going to be perfect for me due to the environment I drive in now. I've actually got 2 completely different tunes saved. But who wants to keep flashing in tunes every time I drive down the mountain. That's worse than changing the air bleeds back and forth in the holley carb, honestly. So I find a happy spot that's close and leave it be.
    Sorry, I'll quit rambling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information