wideband o2 question

This is a discussion on wideband o2 question within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ok here is a question can you use a wideband o2 inplace of the stock o2 ... here is what ...

blue
    2002 ws6

wideband o2 question

ok here is a question can you use a wideband o2 inplace of the stock o2 ... here is what i mean .. i was thinking of getting a wideband set up so i can monitor better than the non wideband i have now and was thinking of putting them into the forward o2 bungs that the stock ones are in than i was thinking that since they are o2 sensors can i just jump the signal wire to the signal wire for the stock ones resulting in not only i monitor them but the computer uses them for its monitoring also ... is this possible...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I know innovates has narrow band emulation so it can be done......I've also read where people have had problems trying to do it. That's been a while back and I'm not sure if someone has paved the way to do it problem free for everyone else yet so don't take my word on it. Read at innovate's site and ask some questions there. I'm sure someone over there can give you the details on making it happen.
    I personally don't really see the need for it but that's just my opinion. The stock O2's should do a pretty good job of keeping you at stoich.

blue
    2002 ws6

yea i know the stock ones will do pretty good was just thinking for down the road that if i added wideband than i would be good if i added juice or going for a tune and if i could put it in the stock locations (have longtubs) and have the stock computer work off them too than i could kill 2 birds with one stone (dont have to weld anymore bungs on the pipe and am able to monitor using wideband)

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I'm under the impression that Widebands don't have the service life of narrowbands. My AFX book recommends only using the wideband when needed.

blue
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    I'm under the impression that Widebands don't have the service life of narrowbands. My AFX book recommends only using the wideband when needed.
    well thats intresting ... wonder why

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Here is the paragraph from page 6 of the manual.

You may use the AFX as a constant AFR monitoring tool, but keep in mind that this will consume the sensor faster. If you are not using the sensor to tune the engine, we generally recommend you take it out. It may be a good idea to keep a backup sensor on hand if you tune constantly or if you tune at the track.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    Here is the paragraph from page 6 of the manual.

You may use the AFX as a constant AFR monitoring tool, but keep in mind that this will consume the sensor faster. If you are not using the sensor to tune the engine, we generally recommend you take it out. It may be a good idea to keep a backup sensor on hand if you tune constantly or if you tune at the track.
    I have a link to the entire manual in it's products page if anyone is interested.http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/357

Also, if you want to step up from that Bosch sensor to a more accurate and longer lasting unit, I have the NTK 3402 sensor setup to work with your controller here: http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/352

Red
    98 Trans Am

Can i use the rear O2 bunge for wide band readings? or is that not a good place since i have Highflow cats up stream from there?

You'll want a wideband reading before the cats, as close to the header collector as possible.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did your headers come with an auxilliary bung? If not, you can purchase bungs and weld one in. Just make sure that the sensor tip points at least somewhat downward.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ok. I was just wondering. No mine didnt come with one but thats easy to install. So the collector is the best place for it?
    To go one step further, what about in rear turbo form? is it still best to have it as close to the collector as possible still?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That is where it should be. Here's a pic of the spare bung location on my Kooks LT's:

I now run an Innovate LC-1 wideband with the gauge mounted in an A-pillar pod. The controller tucks up nicely under the brake booster and is in a protected location.

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information