Thread: Wide vs. Narrow

FROZEN
    1966 C10

Wide vs. Narrow

Hello Everyone,
    I believe I am what you all refer to as a "Lurker". I have spent years scanning various forums gathering my info without posting...The time has come to just start asking questions. I will always make my best effort to search before posting and to check stickies but sometimes repeat questions get asked.

Here goes:
    I am swapping a '04 gto ls1 into a '66 c10 and will be running a stand alone harness from current or s&p, but need to know if I should be running narrow or wide band o2 sensors. This vehicle will not need to be emissions compliant and I only need the sensors in the collectors. A "sticky" here by NINO I believe, states that wide is the way to go. I'd like to hear some input as to why or why not

Lastly, there are dozens of tuners out there and many are very reputable. My PCM will need a flash for vats, emissions etc so I am obviously shipping it out. Many of these companies will also re-tune multiple times so as to get you in the optimal range for your driving conditions and environment. I am not after a handheld....I am not going to the strip but I do want my engine running optimally. Any preferred vendors or tuning preferences/remarks that I should adopt.... P.S. I'm in hot and sunny southern AZ. Thanks in advance

Cheers,
    B

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can utilize stock replacement sensors for your connections to the PCM. I strongly recommend the Bosch P/N 13111 sensors as they have a nice long harness and work great with headers. If you want to run an A/F gauge, then you need a wideband sender and that is generally what comes with most setups. Stay away from narrowband gauges -- they are not at all accurate as you move away from stoich in the operating range.

Jeff is right on the money, wide band is what you want if you are to do any monitoring or tuning.

On the computer you can go a few directions. On the retro swaps I do I use Howell for harnesses and they supply the computer as well that is already tuned for the combo with vats removed etc... Then I tune and tweak it myself from there.

Arizona Speed and Marine down in the Phoenix area also does custom harnesses, computer tuning etc...if you want one stop shopping without any mail ordering that's another option.

Another option after you get it running and you still want tuning, is to look up Nic D in Phoenix. A very reputable LS tuner down there.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

are you planning on doing any mods to the motor? People have used the wideband sensors in the past to feed narrowband to the pcm with hit or miss success. Unless you're modding the engine I would personally try to keep it as close to factory as possible by using narrowband sensors to feed the pcm. Narrowbands are very good at reading stoich but like Jeff said....once you get away from stoich they're not very accurate. If it were me and I was doing the work I would do both. I would run a narrowband to feed the pcm and then run a wideband for a gauge in car.

FROZEN
    1966 C10

Thanks Jeff and Firebird, I'll look up speed and Marine as I get closer. Howell is right up there in price too.....crazy what wires and connectors cost. I was leaning toward current performance. Maybe I'll look into Nick doing the flash/tune. I have found a few places on line that will give you a couple "tunes" in their price. Thank you for all of your help. GTO engine will stay stock for a while, just cai, middy headers and dual exhaust with x pipe. Cant imagine any tune would be that crazy.

Cheers,
    B

Thread Information